HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 1:11 AM

Retail for Related

Bounce Ping Pong

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 1:51 AM

State/Wabash

thankfully the color has been toned down - way down.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 2:01 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
The city should:

1. eliminate all spot permit parking
2. eliminate all day permit parking and only allow 6pm-6am
3. install more paid street parking, perhaps even in residential areas that are adjacent to commercial strips
4. consider converting street parking in many commercial strips to perpendicular (or diagonal)
I think the city is terrible when it comes to permit zones - my block in Pilsen is not permit parking, but all the surrounding blocks are individual and distinct permit zones. When I come home and my block is full, I end up parking many blocks away. All the parking zones should be consolidated into larger zones, and any unpermitted blocks nearby should be added to the "buffer" zone of residents who qualify for permits.

That being said... the daytime permit zones do serve a purpose, often they are implemented around transit stations to discourage park-and-ride. Commuters shouldn't get free street parking all day just because they're too lazy to take a bus from their home to the train. And no, off-street park-and-ride facilities are not the answer either...

I don't think many Chicago streets are wide enough to allow for perpendicular or diagonal parking. Only a handful of major streets are four lanes where you can sacrifice a lane on each side, and often those streets are such traffic sewers that they don't have a bustling business district (Fullerton, Western, Ashland, etc). The really bustling business districts are on narrower streets, which is no accident.

Overall, parking policy in Chicago is really hamstrung by Daley's f*cking parking meter deal. The city has to maintain the same number of paid spaces, producing the same amount of revenue, for the next 67 years. If the city decides that curb space is better used for a bus lane? Too bad, the city has to replace each and every one of those parking spaces with other spots nearby. Parklets? Same deal. Wider sidewalks and bike lanes on Milwaukee Ave through Wicker Park? Forget about it.

Last edited by ardecila; Mar 28, 2016 at 2:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 2:32 AM

1) Anyone know what's going to go on the pretty big vacant lot on Elston & Leavitt next to the Home Depot? There's a permit out for a 2 story retail building w/estimated cost of $5.6M. Owner is a company from Columbus, OH and architect is OKW. 99% sure it will be suburban garbage.

2) The 1 story building that formerly housed Papajin on Milwaukee Ave in Wicker Park will become a 4 story building with 3 units above it - and Papajin going back in the ground floor (building was demolished a few weeks ago). Great to see - owners are doing this. Let's just hope nothing bad happens and leaves a small vacant lot there or anything. The old building to me at least is non descript and will match the height, or near it, of a few of its neighborhoods and ones across the street. Not that it's a major thing but this is good to see, especially in an area like Wicker Park.

The rendering I see looks like there might be a nice top on it, but we'll see if it turns out well or like crap:
https://html1-f.scribdassets.com/9b8...7f6b8c8c88.jpg

Last edited by marothisu; Mar 28, 2016 at 3:06 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:17 AM
Chicago

SL - Sedgwick at Locust

March 25, 2016

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 2:22 PM

Was reading the zoning board minutes. Apparently there's a 6 story, 60 unit + retail building proposed for around Weiland & North, which is one street west of Wells in Old Town. They're trying to reduce the parking from 60 proposed spaces to 16. Great news there.

Also, the bank building at 1425 W Fullerton (Fullerton & almost Southport) is to be converted to 8 units. They want to add 2 floors on top of it.

This also being built, or will be near North & Clybourn on some partially empty land:
http://www.1615burling.com/

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 2:55 PM
BANNED

^ Good to hear about 1425 W Fullerton. I've always liked that building. It reads "Perfection" on the North side, which seems a bit arrogant, especially for the early 1900s! It was last in the news 2 years ago-

Via DNA Info

Also, St Andrews Church at Addison and Paulina has fencing up around the entire thing. Does anyone know what's going on there? Would hate to lose yet another Church..

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 3:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
1) Anyone know what's going to go on the pretty big vacant lot on Elston & Leavitt next to the Home Depot? There's a permit out for a 2 story retail building w/estimated cost of $5.6M. Owner is a company from Columbus, OH and architect is OKW. 99% sure it will be suburban garbage.
That's the old Brand Brewing site.
As far as I know a furniture company called American Signature Inc is going in there.

Don't know what the building will look like, but it'll probably be just another tip up big box.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post

Also, the bank building at 1425 W Fullerton (Fullerton & almost Southport) is to be converted to 8 units. They want to add 2 floors on top of it.
I've always been curious about this building. It's really cool looking and would make a great reuse as condo, but I have a hard time imagining additional floors added to it.

It was sold for $2M in 2014.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 7:14 PM

wow to the idea of dueling ping pong businesses

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
I imagine this is the "gut rehab." Was hoping some interior would be preserved.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2014...under-proposal

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Also, St Andrews Church at Addison and Paulina has fencing up around the entire thing. Does anyone know what's going on there? Would hate to lose yet another Church..
It's not going anywhere anytime soon - I'm going to a wedding there in late October.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 8:58 PM

61 W Erie

Old building gone.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKChaz View Post
I imagine this is the "gut rehab." Was hoping some interior would be preserved.
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2014...under-proposal
I thought the same thing. But a while ago, I came across an old listing for the building, and it didn't seem to have much historic interior remaining. I recall one room with wood paneling, but a lot of it was just drywall rooms and suspended ceilings.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 1:54 PM

Mutilated skyline

Looks like 2 or 3 skyline shots spliced together - are any of you more skilled than I able to tease them appart

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:25 PM

look at it in a mirror

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:30 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post

Old building gone.
What's the replacement plan?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Looks like 2 or 3 skyline shots spliced together - are any of you more skilled than I able to tease them appart

Looks like just two. A reversed skyline shot with a portion around hancock cut and pasted next to / behind the hilton on the other end.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
What's the replacement plan?
Is it still this? http://www.goldcoastrealty-chicago.c...l#.VvqThGE8KnM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development