HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Do you know people on the LSC?
Of course. We are working on getting a new principal.

But the problem is that this is what it takes at ALL the neighborhood schools in the city. How many middle class parents can rearrange their work schedules in the middle of the day to go down to the school to take care of issues that arise? How many can spend time in the evening to organize events and raise funds? The schools that have turned around had stay at home moms and white collar professionals doing that initial work that nobody else had the time to do (but certainly wanted to). If that's what it takes to break down the CPS resistance, what chance do the neighborhoods have if they don't want to get gentrified and expensive?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 6:10 AM

I was really hoping these hideous designs would die with the collapse of the last housing boom. I don't think I can take many more of these awful projects across the city again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Looks like a condo project at Jackson and Green in the West Loop should be moving forward very soon

Kind of the typical crap you see being built in the West Loop, the kind of stuff that tasteless people think is classy.

It wouldn't be bad if they used nice stone and quality materials, but we all know that won't happen, and the ground level will just be a decorated wall for car storage, all too common in the west loop

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 2:29 PM
BANNED

430 N Lasalle

NW corner of Hubbard and Lasalle. 3 levels. Retail only. So long, surface lot and billboard.

Mods- I meant to put this in General Developments, sorry.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 2:34 PM
The City

^ I thought that was retail and office. Are you sure about that?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 2:41 PM
BANNED

My mistake. It's mixed use: "Type C-2 Assembly and E Business" 42,000 Sq Ft.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
NW corner of Hubbard and Lasalle. 3 levels. Retail only. So long, surface lot and billboard.

Is this by the same developer that proposed the tower for LaSalle & Illinios? They seem to have a very similar building in that location in this render.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post

Last June

Lot is lower Left in this photo.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 4:58 PM

A few things on the zoning agenda for this month

* 1510 W Division - Current vacant lot near the Division Blue Line proposed 4 story, 12 unit building with ground floor retail.

* 1643 N Milwaukee - This made some news this summer when the developer wanted to turn it into 51 units. The neighborhood was opposed to it ---> http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131...parks-main-hub

Same developer is still seeking to put a 4 story rear addition to this as well as add a 5th floor to the existing building. No idea what they're going to put in it but I assume it'll be mixed use. Good because it's near the Damen Blue Line.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 7:39 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
I haven't been here long enough to know how they got that way, but right now gross mismanagement, complacency and a fear of change is preventing a lot of improvement.
I've lived with teachers and been friends with many. The overwhelming issue with the worst schools is the parents of the kids who attend them, and if you follow it down the rabbit hole, it's the fault of the parents of the parents of the kids who attended.

They don't care at all, there's no discipline at home, the kids don't understand what respect means and the culture is one of school as a free babysitter and maybe something that will by chance spit out a smart kid and lift the family up from poverty.

Institutional poverty. It was created full force back 40 years ago and keeps spinning and spinning. Dump as much cash as you want into the schools, but until you fix the social ills outside of the schools it's a very steep uphill battle.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
A few things on the zoning agenda for this month

* 1510 W Division - Current vacant lot near the Division Blue Line proposed 4 story, 12 unit building with ground floor retail.

* 1643 N Milwaukee - This made some news this summer when the developer wanted to turn it into 51 units. The neighborhood was opposed to it ---> http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131...parks-main-hub

Same developer is still seeking to put a 4 story rear addition to this as well as add a 5th floor to the existing building. No idea what they're going to put in it but I assume it'll be mixed use. Good because it's near the Damen Blue Line.
That's the zba agenda.
Both of those projects got their zoning changes months ago.
1510 is a Lipe project on the site of an old Comed substation. He is before the ZBA for a rear setback reduction.

1643 is one part of a larger project. This is the Polish Alma Mater building.

The developer wanted to tear it down for a larger mixed use project.
Both Wicker Park and Bucktown said we thought the old building was important and asked him why he would want to tear down a sound building that already had an FAR in excess of what he was asking for.
When we drilled down, it turned out the problems were that the ground floor was 30" above grade and the monolithic construction made light and vent almost impossible for the kind of residential he wanted to build.

We said that, though the old building was not landmarked and we couldn't stop him from tearing it down, we so no reason why he should get a cookie for doing so.

He went back and got creative.

He got a bump to -3 for his new construction portion and a -5 on the Polish Alma Mater building.

This would bring the old building into conformity and allow for extra floor area to defray costs.
All or part of the first floor will be lowered for retail while saving much of the carved limestone elements and incorporating them to the new storefronts. The upper floors are to be offices, including a shared office arrangement. A use we thought was beneficial, given the loss of local office space in the Northwest Tower building

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 9:32 PM

^^^ Now that's how community input should work. Pushing for better development solutions, not for stupid bullshit like parking or views. Just goes to show how toxic the "no development ever, anywhere" attitude is that some of this suburban dingbats have in certain parts of town.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
I've lived with teachers and been friends with many. The overwhelming issue with the worst schools is the parents of the kids who attend them, and if you follow it down the rabbit hole, it's the fault of the parents of the parents of the kids who attended.

They don't care at all, there's no discipline at home, the kids don't understand what respect means and the culture is one of school as a free babysitter and maybe something that will by chance spit out a smart kid and lift the family up from poverty.

Institutional poverty. It was created full force back 40 years ago and keeps spinning and spinning. Dump as much cash as you want into the schools, but until you fix the social ills outside of the schools it's a very steep uphill battle.
Well, that's painting with an awfully wide brush, isn't it? I have also lived with educators and I have heard their frustrations too. But I've also attended good public schools and bad public schools, and I've volunteered inside bad public schools. And I don't think you know what you're talking about. The good kids outnumber the bad kids and the parents that care outnumber the parents that don't. That's my opinion and I'll leave it at that. No need to derail this thread further. Affordability in Chicago is a function of the quality of the neighborhood schools. Silicon Valley has a far different equation, as does NYC.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
1643 is one part of a larger project. This is the Polish Alma Mater building.
Thank you for sharing. Do you know where the unit and parking counts now stand?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Thank you for sharing. Do you know where the unit and parking counts now stand?
If my memory serves me. It's 36 and 11.
I've got prints around here somewhere, but I can't seem to lay my hands on the final ones.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 11:24 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Now that's how community input should work. Pushing for better development solutions, not for stupid bullshit like parking or views. Just goes to show how toxic the "no development ever, anywhere" attitude is that some of this suburban dingbats have in certain parts of town.
Only if you have people in the community groups that are as knowledgeable as Mr. Dickman, or Gail Spreen with SOAR. This is very unusual, community groups are often dominated by older folks with little or no knowledge of real estate, architecture, or construction. It also requires developers to have patience and an open mind - takes two to tango.

On that Milwaukee Ave project, I can vouch for some of the guys at LG. Their commitment to TOD and car-lite developments is genuine. I'm glad they were able to work productively with WPB. The final result benefits everybody.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
If my memory serves me. It's 36 and 11.
I've got prints around here somewhere, but I can't seem to lay my hands on the final ones.
I noticed that LG proposed 30 and 20 when they first announced the project. Both of those numbers bumped up to 51 and 23 before settling at 36 and 11. Seems like a pretty big success considering that LG doesn't believe the Polish Alma Mater building, now thankfully to be preserved, is suitable to residential conversion, which in fact means that the density of the vacant/razed plots of land will be relatively high in spite of the dip in unit count. You guys are to be commended for facilitating this outcome. Thank you and well done.

One thing: It sounds like LG will be adding a floor to the Polish Alma Mater building, but the most recently publicized renderings suggest otherwise. (See below.) Would you clarify?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
I noticed that LG proposed 30 and 20 when they first announced the project. Both of those numbers bumped up to 51 and 23 before settling at 36 and 11. Seems like a pretty big success considering that LG doesn't believe the Polish Alma Mater building, now thankfully to be preserved, is suitable to residential conversion, which in fact means that the density of the vacant/razed plots of land will be relatively high in spite of the dip in unit count. You guys are to be commended for facilitating this outcome. Thank you and well done.

One thing: It sounds like LG will be adding a floor to the Polish Alma Mater building, but the most recently publicized renderings suggest otherwise. (See below.) Would you clarify?
It was always 51 units, the 30 number was miscommunication by the press.

The Polish Alma Mater Bldg is on the lot line on all 4 sides. but the rear 1/4 is only 2 stories tall. As all commercial, no rear setback is needed. LG will build this up the rest of the way and add a 5th story penthouse set back from the front. it wouldn't show in the renderings.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 1:43 AM

Thanks for the awesome info guys!

In other news, anybody know who is replacing Urban Outfitters on Rush & Walton? I saw an article that Drawing Room and Back Room are getting kicked out of their spaces because a new tenant is replacing UO and will take the space of DR and BR. That is a big space...

I'll be sad to see Drawing Room go. At least Le Colonial will still be there.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 3:52 PM

Wow backroom can't catch a break. They keep getting pushed around the neighborhood.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Wow backroom can't catch a break. They keep getting pushed around the neighborhood.
I know. It would be great if they opened up elsewhere in the neighborhood...or something. There used to be 2-3 live music joints just a few years ago right near there and now there might be 0. Sad.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development