HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Liberal Party 75 38.66%
Conservative Party 47 24.23%
New Democratic Party 37 19.07%
People's Party 11 5.67%
Bloc Québécois 6 3.09%
Green Party 13 6.70%
Other 5 2.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Yeah but the correct regulatory framework to consider here is the actual/latest one, not the previous/outdated one, therefore milomilo is correct. (By early 1950s rules I'm sure we'd have built TMX just as easily as we did TM-not-X, but that statement doesn't mean much.)
Just like the concrete plant out your way right? Maybe since the original project was in the 50’s the expansion should only be held to those standards because, well you know it was originally thought about at that time! That’s how it is supposed to work right?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is sad that Albertans see this as people having it in for them.

When Stephen Harper won a majority with almost no seats in Quebec it was not an anti Quebec thing either. Even if it was odd...
Did Harper do anything to hurt Quebec? Not that I can recall. Justin on the other hand made it very clear that Alberta and Albertans were bad for the country. We have great reasons for hating him and his father. We also find it very sad that so many people totally dismissed all of the extremely bad things he did and still voted for him. If Harper had done crap like that there's no way he would have won every seat in Alberta. When Mulroney was caught doing shady/illegal crap he was wiped out. Alberta didn't vote for him.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
I agree with a lot on PC Ideas, it's there entire FU to the environment that makes me not want to vote for them. All they care about is $$$ and its always short term planning and ideas. Im excited about this minority government. I could see the NDP, Bloq and Liberals pushing forward a lot of green initiatives.
The low hanging fruit for the conservatives are tax cuts for people who don't use cars(would win them a ton of votes in urban centers) and protections for the Ocean floors(extending our territory claims on the oceans and turning large parts of the ocean floor into wildlife reserves) . It'd trap Truddeau on the two coasts. Staying away from natural resource development and Carbon Taxes are an absolute necessity.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
He's a Brit who's come to Alberta to suck as much money out of the place as he can while simultaneously trying to destroy it before he moves on. As far as I'm concerned he's the worst kind of immigrant.
Don't people move to Alberta mostly for opportunity...? (i.e. "making money for themselves" / "sucking money from Alberta in order to put it into their own pockets")

Surely you don't think people choose Alberta for... the weather? Or the urbanity?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:51 AM

155 for LPC and 25 for NDP = 180 seats. A very easy majority for these two parties , if they play their cards right they can run for several years.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:52 AM

Quote:
JWR has a healthy lead now. When's the last time an independent got elected? I don't recall it ever (during my adult lifetime at least).
Now that she's not part of the government I wonder if she'll be free to provide us more details on what really happened with SNC? I sure hope so.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Alberta wants the entire nation to be strong but the Liberal Party and the people who support them think that it's better to cripple Alberta.
It’s like listening to toddlers with one track minds. Your simplistic thinking is not encapsulating the complexity of the issue.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:55 AM

Quote:
He's a Brit who's come to Alberta to suck as much money out of the place as he can while simultaneously trying to destroy it before he moves on. As far as I'm concerned he's the worst kind of immigrant.
Wait, so the worst kind of immigrant is one that works in Alberta's favourite industry and pays a lot of taxes?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:56 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Did Harper do anything to hurt Quebec? Not that I can recall. Justin on the other hand made it very clear that Alberta and Albertans were bad for the country. We have great reasons for hating him and his father. We also find it very sad that so many people totally dismissed all of the extremely bad things he did and still voted for him. If Harper had done crap like that there's no way he would have won every seat in Alberta. When Mulroney was caught doing shady/illegal crap he was wiped out. Alberta didn't vote for him.
Harper certainly didn't spend 8.8 billion dollars of public money (adjusted for population) on something of iffy economic rationale because he thought it would be a good move for Quebec...

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
Liberals only need 14 votes to get 170, pretty strong minority. Some combination of all three of the Cons-NDP-Bloc needed to defeat the Libs.

Probably the worst possible outcome for the Conservatives.

Although the Cons could have more votes than the Libs, it's still a strong progressive mandate for Canada, as the PPC was vehemently repudiated and the Cons still have less than 35% of the vote.
It's a strong rebuke of Justin and his party. You guys act as if the Liberals, NDP, etc. are all interchangeable. If that was the case there would be just one huge left-wing party. Also, Lio keeps telling me that the Bloc is not left wing. If that's the case then there was no progressive mandate.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:58 AM

It's funny that "the West" is east of here haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Just like the concrete plant out your way right? Maybe since the original project was in the 50’s the expansion should only be held to those standards because, well you know it was originally thought about at that time! That’s how it is supposed to work right?
Personally, as I explained already a few times on this forum, I'm fine with concrete being made - it's not a waste, as it's a super-durable, quasi-eternal construction material (which allows North America to urbanize its cities; last I checked that cement plant's output was supposed to mostly go to NY and New England). If the tarsands' output was used to make special construction I- and H- beams of some sort of ultra-durable plastics that doesn't age nor rot, which would then get exported to the USA/China/India to help build permanent skyscrapers in various densifying cities, rather than being stupidly burned for one-time energy at great emissions cost, then I'd be pretty fine with the Fort Mac operations.

Final seat numbers for Ontario

LPC= 77
CPC= 38
NDP= 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Interesting, because that is not the prevailing sentiment I recieved from Albertans when I lived there for 12 years. It was always about how they were the best in the country (in their own eyes), how Canada couldn't survive without them and how Eastern Canada was the Devil incarnate. I never had the sense of Albertans really caring about the rest of the country all that much.
I had the exact same experience living there. I’d never felt that kind of visceral hatred for the rest of the country anywhere else.

Quote:
Don't people move to Alberta mostly for opportunity...? (i.e. "making money for themselves" / "sucking money from Alberta in order to put it into their own pockets")

Surely you don't think people choose Alberta for... the weather? Or the urbanity?
I didn't move here for the money, but for the outdoors mostly. And actually, the weather is an improvement on the UK.

But the money now sure is an incentive to stay, if only I wasn't so stupid to dare not vote blue. Don't I know that they are the only party that will guarantee my job is safe? I'm such an idiot!

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Trudeau should sell it to Kenney.

And the rest of your comment is complete lunacy.
At least he’s consistent.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I didn't move here for the money, but for the outdoors mostly. And actually, the weather is an improvement on the UK!
This is true in most of Canada, not just Alberta.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:01 AM

Quote:
It's a strong rebuke of Justin and his party. You guys act as if the Liberals, NDP, etc. are all interchangeable. If that was the case there would be just one huge left-wing party. Also, Lio keeps telling me that the Bloc is not left wing. If that's the case then there was no progressive mandate.
Depends. It's true that the Bloc isn't classic left (unlike the NDP), but on some things such as the environment, they are "left" (in quotation marks, because it's ridiculous to me that "not destroying the planet" could ever be anything other than a position shared by the extreme right, the right, the center-right, the centrists, the center-left, the left, and the loony left).

On environment-related issues, the Libs + NDP + Bloc + Greens have close to two-thirds of the votes.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
I'm not looking forward to the conversations at work tomorrow .
I hated those the most living there. A fellow non-conservative and I would have to have separate secret discussions to maintain our sanity. Airing our ideas publicly only led to a barrage of one-sided rants that were better avoided.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
155 for LPC and 25 for NDP = 180 seats. A very easy majority for these two parties , if they play their cards right they can run for several years.
Given Singh’s speech it sounds like the cost of that might be national Pharmacare and faster work on Indigenous issues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada