HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:53 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What everyone is saying is that it's a sweeping condemnation of the NDP's performance.
I don't think everyone is saying this. I think a much better indication of condemnation of the NDP's performance would have been if JK could have done this in an NDP safe riding.

Electing a conservative (especially a conservative leader) in Calgary-Lougheed is pretty meaningless.

Really the only change I see in the legislature with JK there is that the level of compassion has dropped significantly.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
I don't think everyone is saying this. I think a much better indication of condemnation of the NDP's performance would have been if JK could have done this in an NDP safe riding.

Electing a conservative (especially a conservative leader) in Calgary-Lougheed is pretty meaningless.

Really the only change I see in the legislature with JK there is that the level of compassion has dropped significantly.
I know I'm wasting my time doing this but I'll point out one last time that the NDP won that seat in 2015. It's not the guaranteed conservative seat some of you think it is. And what is an NDP safe riding in AB? Does such a thing even exist? Poll after poll by every pollster out there has shown that the NDP would be decimated if an election were held at the time. Four (?) by election loses in a row is another indication. Everyone who is objective is saying that the loss was a condemnation of their performance. Yeah, Kenney was expected to win but the NDP wasn't expected to as badly as they did.

Level of compassion? When has the legislature ever been known for being compassionate? Certainly not now with the NDP about to jack up the carbon tax again while our economy is still struggling. The NDP's only hope of getting reelected is via events out of their control.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 8:48 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
I know I'm wasting my time doing this but I'll point out one last time that the NDP won that seat in 2015.
Dave Rodney stepped down so that Jason Kenny could run. Dave Rodney was the MLA for Calgary-Lougheed. He was elected in 2015 as a Conservative and stepped down in 2017 as a UCP member.

The riding was created in 1993 and has always been conservative.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Dave Rodney stepped down so that Jason Kenny could run. Dave Rodney was the MLA for Calgary-Lougheed. He was elected in 2015 as a Conservative and stepped down in 2017 as a UCP member.

The riding was created in 1993 and has always been conservative.
My mistake--I was wrong. Not sure why I forgot that Rodney stepped down. The NDP did however come close to winning that seat. They only lost by about 500 votes.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:58 AM
BANNED

First UCP policy ideas are tired nostalgia and wrong for the times.
Don Baird for the Calgary Herald
http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...-the-klein-era
Quote:
The UCP’s flat tax would help only the well-to-do...It hurts the treasury while offering nothing to most taxpayers. Alberta is vastly changed since the Klein era. Reviving that prosperity requires originality, not more dreams of old schemes

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:41 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I find the whole CUP thing fascinating in a Trump clone sorta way. How do you market a product deeply unpopular in blind taste tests? Drip it in nostalgia! Unfortunately the market for that is re-Kleining rapidly due to natural causes, which is why watching Kenney "lead" is like watching a cat trying to climb the curtains. Awkward and bound to fail yet you can't turn away...

I personally can't even consider him leadership material with the sheer amount of hate propaganda that "man" is responsible for either personally or by encouraging others...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 7:01 PM
HVAC guru

^ While not the least bit impressed with the UCP, I also don't really find it fascinating perse. I think it's exactly what most people think it is, for better or worse

What's fascinating to me is how the AP seems to be claiming to be the "centrist party" when the centrist party is actually the NDP, by most measures. I'm a little surprised at some of the folks jumping on that bandwagon, and I have to think it's because they're actually more right wing than they care to admit. Kind-of like saying you're a libertarian when you're really a conservative.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 1:02 AM

Former UCP leadership contender Brian Jean quits as Fort McMurray MLA

Fort McMurray — Brian Jean has resigned as MLA for Fort McMurray-Conklin, citing a desire to spend time with his family and rebuild his home, which was destroyed in the May 2016 wildfire.

Jean made the announcement during a Monday phone interview with Fort McMurray Today, after being dogged for months by rumours surrounding his future as a politician following his loss to Jason Kenney for United Conservative Party leadership in October.

“My wife and my family have made a lot of sacrifices for me and I would like to give back to them,” he said Monday. “I’m stepping aside because, frankly, I have to focus on my family and my life.”

Jean said he knows some people will accuse him of being a sore loser, but insists his desire to leave comes mostly from a desire to focus on his home life.

He only recently started rebuilding his Fort McMurray home.

One of his sisters also has stage 4 cancer, while two other family members are also battling the disease. The experience brought back memories of when he lost his son, Michael, in March 2015.

“I lost my son and I lost my house, and it’s been a tough few years for my family,” he said. “Being a politician is a 24-7 job. At this stage, I need to rebuild, I need to spend time with my family, I need to spend time with my friends, I need to get grounded again.”

No date for a byelection, which must be called within six months of a riding being vacated, has been set. The next provincial election is scheduled for May 2019.

No one has declared themselves as candidates, although Jean said he has heard from several residents interested in running.

Source: http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...ime=1520296866

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 10:21 PM
Near Generational

My tiny brain can't comprehend the amount money the NDP can spend.

Thankfully the province will have a balanced budget soon with a $90B+ debt to pay off.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:07 PM
HVAC guru

Latest polls show the UCP still leading by a large margin but the NDP picking up significant support. All other parties lost support

UCP 48.6% (-7.3)
NDP 35.4% (+8.1)
LIB 6.2% (-0.5)
AP 5.1% (-1.9)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 3:30 PM
Near Generational

The UCP has gone from 57% to 48.6% in the past year.

I really don't see how the NDP doesn't win another term.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:37 PM
HVAC guru

If the polls keep trending the way they are it's a definite possibility. I'm pretty wary of polls nowadays though.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 5:50 PM

I think once AP starts getting out there more with candidates there may be a shift. I got invited to an event that had a number of AP people there and I was surprised at the cross section of Liberals and PCs, if anything they could take away from the UCP.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
The UCP has gone from 57% to 48.6% in the past year.

I really don't see how the NDP doesn't win another term.
How efficient is the NDP vote? It likely concentrates in Edmonton, which means that 30% in polls could mean way less than 30% of seats. I could see an NDP wipeout everywhere but Edmonton and Lethbridge.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 9:05 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I think once AP starts getting out there more with candidates there may be a shift. I got invited to an event that had a number of AP people there and I was surprised at the cross section of Liberals and PCs, if anything they could take away from the UCP.
I dunno, I can't really see the Alberta Party making any significant progress. Form the insiders there's some annoyance that it's just a bunch of old PC party members looking to return to the status quo. As much as I liked Mandel when he was the mayor I think he was a terrible choice for the AP leader. I doubt you'll see the AP break 10% in the next election, if that

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 9:07 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
How efficient is the NDP vote? It likely concentrates in Edmonton, which means that 30% in polls could mean way less than 30% of seats. I could see an NDP wipeout everywhere but Edmonton and Lethbridge.
We all know which way the rural ridings are going to go. So really Calgary will be the deciding factor. If the NDP can manage to retain seats in Calgary they might do alright. If Calgary swings hard to the UCP you're probably right. If that happens Edmonton will be in for a rough ride after the next election

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 8:15 PM

United Conservative Party on track to win big in Alberta, says poll
One and done. With many voters still pessimistic about the economy, Albertans look set to kick out NDP

A year away from Alberta's next provincial election, voters seem intent on reverting to their long history of electing conservative governments.

Fifty-three per cent of decided voters, according to the survey of 1,200 Albertans, would vote for the United Conservative Party (UCP) led by former federal Conservative cabinet minister Jason Kenney. And this puts the party on course to a substantial victory.

"This kind of lead for the UCP would translate into an overwhelming majority of seats," said Calgary-based pollster Janet Brown, who conducted the poll for CBC News.

A note on method

The response rate to CBC's poll was a whopping 20.8 percent. In this age of cellphones — and people who don't answer calls from unknown numbers — most live-operator telephone surveys average a response rate of 10 percent.

The 1,200 people who responded to the poll were randomly contacted by an interviewer working for Edmonton-based Trend Research. People were not contacted using Interactive Voice Response (IVR) computer technology, commonly known as robocalls. People who participated in the poll spoke to a real human. They were given the option of answering the survey over telephone at that time, answering over the telephone at a more convenient time, or receiving a link and answering the survey online.

And people really took their time thoughtfully answering our questions — on average 16 minutes!

Melanee Thomas, who teaches political science research methods at the University of Calgary, acted as an advisor for this study.

"Deeply skeptical" of many polls in the news media, Thomas called CBC's mixed-method political study rigorous.

"Because I think most of the polls that people get access to are crap," said Thomas, "I wanted to be a part of something where we actually did it right so that we could actually show how it's suppose to be done properly — but also give people real, reliable information that they can use to interpret politics right now."

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.4636786

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:04 PM

For crying out loud, Edmonton, wake up and smell reality.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 4:52 PM
HVAC guru

What, we should vote for the UCP just because the rest of the province is ?

I'm frankly quite happy with how the NDP has managed the province in spite of not agreeing with everything they have done. I'm certainly not looking forward to the UCP taking control of the province.

If we want to reinforce that Alberta is a backwater hick province, electing the UCP is a great way to do it

Old Posted May 1, 2018, 8:14 PM

I always find the polls interesting this far out. As we get closer people start to see the reality of the choices. Plus most political surveys I have done recently have been very directing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...rvey-1.4639232

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia