HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Liberal Party 75 38.66%
Conservative Party 47 24.23%
New Democratic Party 37 19.07%
People's Party 11 5.67%
Bloc Québécois 6 3.09%
Green Party 13 6.70%
Other 5 2.58%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
It’s not just the Alberta, we all want to make money and just do our jobs and it feels like the government is stopping us.
This is all in your head.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:37 AM

JWR has a healthy lead now. When's the last time an independent got elected? I don't recall it ever (during my adult lifetime at least).

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

#wexit now trending

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
You've already called me a 'plant', whatever that means, so you've gone down the rabbithole of conspiracy theory. There's no going back from that, now all you'll see everything as a plot against Alberta. But Alberta is not as important as you think it is, it is being treated more than fairly.
If you don't know what a plant is then how can you call it a conspiracy theory? If you're not a plant then you must be totally blind to think that the policies the Liberals have passed into legislation aren't meant to hurt/destroy Alberta.

Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
JWR has a healthy lead now. When's the last time an independent got elected? I don't recall it ever (during my adult lifetime at least).
André Arthur ?

BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
#wexit now trending
Boo hoo. Let them cry.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Why is it only a "strong AB" that means a strong Canada? Doesn't having 10 strong provinces and 3 strong territories mean a strong Canada instead of thinking one province is our saving grace?

Why is it always about Alberta?
Alberta wants the entire nation to be strong but the Liberal Party and the people who support them think that it's better to cripple Alberta.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I think so. I think they waited until polls closed in MB to make it look like the west mattered.
Most of Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Sask, and Alberta closed at the same time, so you can't really pin it to one province. CBC called a Liberal government shortly after BC polls closed and a minority maybe 15 minutes later.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:42 AM

Quote:
You guys are both right because it all hinges on how exactly you define "left to the market".

If fully "left to the market" (i.e. no environmental reviews whatsoever), then yeah, it gets built (you're right).

If "left to the market" in the typical regulatory framework we can expect, then it doesn't get built (milomilo's right).
Under the regulatory framework in place before Justin changed the rules it would have been built and still would have been under the crazy new rules. TMX is 1000% needed.

BANNED

Quote:
There are plenty of traditional 'conservative' values that can appeal to urban voters, we all generally want the same results after all. But the Canadian Conservative parties choose to focus on the wrong issues and have chosen the wrong positions on a few important things. It's a choice, they just need to change their preferences.
The shocking lack of the Jordan Peterson vibe was missing.

He literally converted me and a whole lot of other millennials to conservatism and is wildly famous. Last I checked he's the only regular conservative guest on the Joe Rogan Experience. Guy checks all the boxes, open minded, religious, from rural alberta, a professor of pysc living in downtown Toronto, and obsessed with soviet union art.

Liberals only need 14 votes to get 170, pretty strong minority. Some combination of all three of the Cons-NDP-Bloc needed to defeat the Libs.

Probably the worst possible outcome for the Conservatives.

Although the Cons could have more votes than the Libs, it's still a strong progressive mandate for Canada, as the PPC was vehemently repudiated and the Cons still have less than 35% of the vote.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
BC sending MPs from all 4 parties (sorry Bloc) and possibly independent. Covering all the bases...
Ya total representation from all. Exact opposite of the next door neighbours.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:43 AM

Quote:
André Arthur ?
André Arthur, Chuck Cadman. My previous comment is to be taken literally ("I don't recall it (because it's nearly 1 am and my brain's telling me to go to bed)", not "it didn't happen".)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:44 AM

Quote:
André Arthur ?
I believe you’re correct. Before him was Chuck Cadman, and before that...John Nunziata?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
If you don't know what a plant is then how can you call it a conspiracy theory? If you're not a plant then you must be totally blind to think that the policies the Liberals have passed into legislation aren't meant to hurt/destroy Alberta.
Alright, humour me. What did you mean when you said I was a plant? What am I, a foreign agent?

I can assure you I'm not, for what it's worth, I just like living here
and want what is best for this province in the long run, which does not mean extracting infinite amounts of oil.

Quote:
He's not "old stock" enough?
He's a Brit who's come to Alberta to suck as much money out of the place as he can while simultaneously trying to destroy it before he moves on. As far as I'm concerned he's the worst kind of immigrant.

BANNED

Quote:
Alberta wants the entire nation to be strong but the Liberal Party and the people who support them think that it's better to cripple Alberta.
Interesting, because that is not the prevailing sentiment I recieved from Albertans when I lived there for 12 years. It was always about how they were the best in the country (in their own eyes), how Canada couldn't survive without them and how Eastern Canada was the Devil incarnate. I never had the sense of Albertans really caring about the rest of the country all that much.

Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Maybe one day people like you will realize that Albertan's are the ones who know how to properly run a country. Unfortunately, it'll be too late by the time that happens.
Oh my. Allow me to be skeptical when you're dogmatic to the point where you'd rather jeopardize provincial finances and services than even have a tiny 1% provincial sales tax.

And wanna tell us about the Heritage Fund? Where did all the money go?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Under the regulatory framework in place before Justin changed the rules it would have been built and still would have been under the crazy new rules. TMX is 1000% needed.
Yeah but the correct regulatory framework to consider here is the actual/latest one, not the previous/outdated one, therefore milomilo is correct. (By early 1950s rules I'm sure we'd have built TMX just as easily as we did TM-not-X, but that statement doesn't mean much.)

Old Posted Oct 22, 2019, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Alright, humour me. What did you mean when you said I was a plant?
You could actually be a (potted) plant and you'd still win federal elections in a landslide, in Battle River and most other ridings of the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada