HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dam_well View Post
Fair point. I wonder though if there's another type of boat that could be used that doesn't sit very low in the water. Some sort of jet boat maybe?

In the end it's probably a pipe dream but if some sort of water taxi network could be built it would be awesome.
Maybe use a Hydrofoil hull but there may be complaints about the noise from the people living on the river property

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 2:16 AM
keep the good times going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^the historic riverboats on the Assiniboine always fascinated me. There are railway bridges over the Assiniboine at Rte 90 and in Headingley designed to swing open for riverboats. But I think neither ever operated because the railways basically put the boats out of business. But those boats only operated during the spring high water. I’m sure with enough money the shallow sections could be engineered and dredged to deepen the channel for navigation out to the park, but thats just a pipe dream of mine. Would be cool though.
Yes! the Route 90 Swing bridge especially has always been so fascinating to me. The gears and inner workings of the swing and lock mechanism are still intact under the bridge.

I have heard multiple people claim it has never opened and I believe this - but I would love to see a deep dive into the history of this bridge to answer that question!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
Yes! the Route 90 Swing bridge especially has always been so fascinating to me. The gears and inner workings of the swing and lock mechanism are still intact under the bridge.

I have heard multiple people claim it has never opened and I believe this - but I would love to see a deep dive into the history of this bridge to answer that question!
I dug into this question a few years ago. I even emailed Alec Katz, the current bridge owner, and he claimed that it had never opened. But I can’t find anything written about that specifically. The bridge opened in 1908, so that would have been well after the end of the riverboat era (1885 according to the link you shared), so I can’t imagine any need for the swing span by 1908.
An interesting fact: before the St James bridge was built, the rail bridge accommodated automobile and other non-rail traffic. That seems hard to imagine.

http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/cnroakpointbridge.shtml

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan