HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 8:53 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

DetroitSky, next time you stop by can you see which demolition company is involved with the demoliton of the YWCA?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
DetroitSky, next time you stop by can you see which demolition company is involved with the demoliton of the YWCA?
Looks like it is DW Lurvey (based on the signs on the fence).

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
I might have the sign in another photo I took. I’ll check tonight. But if not, next time I’m up there I’ll check.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 9:59 PM

I'm back from my trip (photo thread coming soon) and drove through downtown. Besides what DetroitSky posted here, I noticed signage on the storefront south of Paul's Pipe Shop for a hookah lounge.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 11:18 PM

LMich, the only sign I have in my photos of the YWCA is that DW Lurvey sign seen in the posted photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk1982 View Post
I'm back from my trip (photo thread coming soon) and drove through downtown. Besides what DetroitSky posted here, I noticed signage on the storefront south of Paul's Pipe Shop for a hookah lounge.
Welcome back. I'm looking forward to your photos. If you notice any developments outside downtown too, I'd personally love to see them. I don't know Flint very well aside from downtown so I usually miss neighborhood projects.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 10:54 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

How did I miss the name on the sign? lol

Update on MLive about the Hilton:

Jake May | MLive.com

State will invest millions into new Hilton hotel in downtown Flint

Quote:
FLINT-- Plans to transform the former Genesee Bank building at 325 S. Saginaw St. into a new Hilton Buckham Square Hotel will move forward after being approved an equity investment of up to $7.9 million from the state.

The $37.9 million project will renovate the 11-story abandoned bank into a hotel and demolish two blighted buildings at 126 and 116 Kearsley Street to turn into Buckham Square, a green space for food trucks to operate.
Title seems kind of concern-trolly. 20% is not insignificant, of course, but the majority of this is still private investment.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
LMich, the only sign I have in my photos of the YWCA is that DW Lurvey sign seen in the posted photo.

Welcome back. I'm looking forward to your photos. If you notice any developments outside downtown too, I'd personally love to see them. I don't know Flint very well aside from downtown so I usually miss neighborhood projects.
These are the only major projects I know of outside of downtown:
1) Flint Cultural Center Academy - off of Robert T. Longway and 475
2) Coolidge Elementary redevelopment - off of Beecher and Ballinger Hwy by McLaren Hospital. I'm not sure how much work will be done on the outside of the building.
3) The new GM logistics center in Burton, off of Davison Road.

The following are in the pipeline:
- Kettering University's new Learning Commons
- Demolition of the Atherton East Apartments (south side of the city, off of Dort Hwy/Atherton)
- Clark Commons on North Saginaw St. This will be used to help relocate some of the residents of Atherton East.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 10:17 PM

Flint historic union hall transformed into nightclub

Quote:
"This sat right in the heart of Buick City. Buick was the only automobile built completely among this little city," said Scott Williamson, son of former Flint Mayor Don Williamson and Patsy Lou Williamson and president of Buick City Event Center. "As they removed Buick City and this building was the last building standing, we wanted to preserve this heritage."

Patsy Lou Williamson purchased the hall in 2012, saving the building from going to auction.

Some of the building still operates as a union hall on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays for a benefits representative to meet with Local 599 retirees that may have questions.

But upgrades have taken place in much of the 26,000-square-foot building, including a fresh coat of paint, the installation of two full-service bars, six VIP rooms, a green room for performers, closed-circuit TV system and a meet-and-greet room.

The event center's concert space, which can hold up to 1,000 people, recently held a soft opening, with performances by Larry Lee and the Back in the day Band and Deborene Bland-Jackson.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 3:16 AM

20180906_124811_HDR by Rob K, on Flickr

20180906_124701_HDR by Rob K, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 11:59 AM

20180913_104205 by Rob K, on Flickr
From September 13

20180917_121747 by Rob K, on Flickr
From September 17

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 6:31 PM
somewhere in-between

Bye bye, Y. Thanks for the updates.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:21 AM

Some updates from today, 10/9

YWCA demolition

Mott CC Culinary Arts Institute

Barricades have been installed along the Hilton Garden Inn site. I also saw workers going in and out of 352 S. Saginaw's annex building.

600 S. Saginaw Street looks the same on the exterior. I didn't see any workers on site, either. Hopefully this didn't stall.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:15 AM

UM-Flint breaks ground on $39 million Murchie Science Building expansion

Quote:
Examples of exciting new spaces featured in the design include:

four new interactive classrooms with flexible seating;
engineering labs that will include a large bay door to the outside allowing a vehicle to be brought in for hands-on learning possibilities;
a robotics lab that will study modern systems;
multiple areas for faculty to do research and to engage students in research;
a dedicated lab for Genesee Early College students meant will spur an early interest in science;
and multiple spaces to facilitate student/faculty interaction.
“This building will provide unmatched opportunities for student learning and faculty scholarship,” remarked Chris Pearson, associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. “For years to come, students will be working alongside faculty, solving problems, creating innovative solutions, and learning.”

Construction on the project is expected to be completed in July 2021.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:16 PM
somewhere in-between

This caught my eye...

Quote:
Kettering University lands $2 million gift to build new innovation center
Jake Carah | Flinside
October 12, 2018

FLINT, Michigan — A huge $2 million gift will make Kettering University the new home of advanced technology that is nothing short of the stuff once thought of as science fiction. The donation from Navistar International Corp. will put the university and its students at the forefront of the development of artificial intelligence, vehicles that drive themselves, and mass data systems.

“There is a ripple effect for our future and exciting opportunity for Kettering as a partner for our future success,” said Navistar CEO Troy Clarke, a 1978 Kettering alum who sees the trucking and auto industry in the midst of a paradigm shift. “We have great engineers, but they have experience in the last 10 to 20 years, and we need to invest and be ready for this seismic change that is at our doorstep. In order to focus on tomorrow’s issues and tomorrow's opportunities, we need young minds with tools for the job...”

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 2:56 AM

The Flint Cultural Center Academy

2018-10-22_01-16-00 by Rob K, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
This caught my eye...

Kettering had hoped to start construction on the Learning Commons this year, but that's not happening.

The Murchie expansion is going to be interesting to see. I'm curious to see what they plan on doing with the plaza and road layout there - the plaza definitely needs an update.

I did see workers working on the outside of 600 S. Saginaw the other day, so it is not stalled.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk1982 View Post
I did see workers working on the outside of 600 S. Saginaw the other day, so it is not stalled.
Glad to hear that. I was hoping they were doing interior work and that was why exterior work seemed stalled. This and the Mott Culinary Arts Institute project I think will have a big impact on that section of Saginaw.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2018, 11:16 PM

These are both from November 30th:

Both buildings slated for demolition for the Hilton Garden Inn project are gone.

The old bank branch at First and Beach was also recently torn down. I imagine this is going to be a parking lot?

Last edited by DetroitSky; Dec 3, 2018 at 2:01 AM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 10:27 PM

Some updates from December 8th:

Flint Cultural Center Academy, which broke ground last summer.

600 S. Saginaw Street has had its facade cleaned.

I was surprised to see that The Marketplace is under construction. This is the 4 floor apartment building. I didn't check if the townhomes were under construction yet.

Work is occurring on the hole left from the skybridge that once connected the McCree Courts & Human Services Building to the now demolished McCree parking garage.

Hilton Garden Inn progress

MCC Culinary Arts Institute

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 12:00 AM

Former church to house Flint grocery co-op store

Quote:
The North Flint Reinvestment Corporation, a parent organization of the North Flint Food Market, has purchased the former Abundant Life Community Church building with plans to re-purpose the site at 5402 Clio Road for the store.

It will be aided by a $40,000 Catalytic Investment award from the Michigan Good Food Fund, a statewide initiative working to increase healthy food access and spur economic development and job growth. Funds will be used for pre-development work for the co-op.

Rev. Reginald Flynn, executive director of the North Flint Reinvestment Corporation and co-founder of the North Flint Food Market, called the award and building purchase “all positive signs for a successful opening in 2020.”

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest