HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #161  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:41 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Well I guess that is the deal breaker for human civilization. We are all doomed. Time to build my climate change bunker and stock up on MREs!
Extinction by mosquito isn't even the worst case scenario.
     
     
  #162  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:48 PM
bilbao58's Avatar
bilbao58 bilbao58 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Homesick Houstonian in San Antonio
Posts: 203
.

Last edited by bilbao58; Sep 23, 2019 at 10:58 PM.
     
     
  #163  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:53 PM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
This is a joke, right?
No it's not a joke. The point of the post is that shorelines change, always have, always will and there's nothing we can do to preserve the shoreline of the year 2000 forever and ever and ever.

Now whether the shoreline was 100 miles away or 225, that's not the point. The ancient shoreline is what we call the continental shelf and that shoreline really wasn't that long ago -- it was a rapid, intense warm up that resulted in sea level rise in the order of hundreds of feet.
     
     
  #164  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:54 PM
Gantz Gantz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, the doomsday stuff is silly. And it distracts from looking at the real issues through a measured lens to determine best paths forward.
We actually should be very optimistic about the predictions. Afterall, the worst case scenario would've been a rapid global cooling/next ice age. A 20 mile wall of ice descending from the poles would've been a much harder problem to deal with. Perhaps not human extinction (humans already survived previous ice ages), but a possible big population or even civilizational collapse. This global climate change phenomenon ensures that we will be fine for a solid 100+ years more.
     
     
  #165  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 8:54 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
This is a joke, right?
Where Houston is today was much further inland, but also much of the northern latitudes were under miles of ice
     
     
  #166  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:00 PM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I get what you're saying, but we're not seeing insect migration, in the case of emerging viruses in certain areas, to be very slow right now. The Mediterranean as an example. And outbreaks are not a slow process at all unfortunately. I'm not an alarmist by any means, however the strong potential for infectious disease aspect of a warming planet is something that is often not considered.
RE: Outbreaks

Airplanes and the modern world are the reason why a pandemic will likely happen again.
     
     
  #167  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:01 PM
Gantz Gantz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Where Houston is today was much further inland, but also much of the northern latitudes were under miles of ice
For ~99% of the time over the past 2 million years, New York was under 2 miles of ice.
     
     
  #168  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:05 PM
mhays mhays is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,494
I like this reasoning. Along the same lines...what's wrong with war, since people have always died?
__________________
"Alot" isn't a word.
     
     
  #169  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:09 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I like this reasoning. Along the same lines...what's wrong with war, since people have always died?
True, peace is an anomaly, Mans natural state is war.

     
     
  #170  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:10 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
For ~99% of the time over the past 2 million years, New York was under 2 miles of ice.
Yes we are in the inter-glacial of a very old ice age.
     
     
  #171  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:15 PM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I like this reasoning. Along the same lines...what's wrong with war, since people have always died?
You complain, then offer no solutions -- because there are no solutions given the fact that the climate has rapidly changed long before mankind was heating soup on a gas stove.
     
     
  #172  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:16 PM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 4,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
RE: Outbreaks

Airplanes and the modern world are the reason why a pandemic will likely happen again.
Yes, most likely. That’s the part that can potentially be exacerbated by emerging diseases... since we’re already seeing some unexpected outbreaks in developed Mediterranean and middle eastern nations, where there’s obviously lots of travel to and from Europe and the US.
     
     
  #173  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:19 PM
jtown,man jtown,man is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Norfolk, Va
Posts: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
No it's not a joke. The point of the post is that shorelines change, always have, always will and there's nothing we can do to preserve the shoreline of the year 2000 forever and ever and ever.

Now whether the shoreline was 100 miles away or 225, that's not the point. The ancient shoreline is what we call the continental shelf and that shoreline really wasn't that long ago -- it was a rapid, intense warm up that resulted in sea level rise in the order of hundreds of feet.
It seems some people think the world was created() as it currently is and it must always remain that way.

Hell, even in East Arkansas we used to be under the ocean...
     
     
  #174  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:22 PM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
It seems some people think the world was created() as it currently is and it must always remain that way.

Hell, even in East Arkansas we used to be under the ocean...
Just 20,000 years ago, most of the entire state of Utah was under water. The Great Salt Lake used to be incredibly massive.

But, Climate Change dried it all up.

--I'm going to go block traffic in SLC and demand for them to restore these wetlands, now!

E] One good thing about Climate Change is that Area 51 is now on a dry lake bed. Had the Climate not Changed, where would we store the recovered UFOs and dead Alien bodies?
     
     
  #175  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:24 PM
JManc's Avatar
JManc JManc is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Houston
Posts: 25,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
We actually should be very optimistic about the predictions. Afterall, the worst case scenario would've been a rapid global cooling/next ice age. A 20 mile wall of ice descending from the poles would've been a much harder problem to deal with. Perhaps not human extinction (humans already survived previous ice ages), but a possible big population or even civilizational collapse. This global climate change phenomenon ensures that we will be fine for a solid 100+ years more.
Humans during previous Ice Ages and major climatic events were much hardier. I suspect a future Ice Age would thin the modern human population quite drastically.
     
     
  #176  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:26 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,756
Never any love for Lake Missoula

     
     
  #177  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:28 PM
Obadno Obadno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Humans during previous Ice Ages and major climatic events were much hardier. I suspect a future Ice Age would thin the modern human population quite drastically.
I'd argue that a global cooling trend would be much more dire than a warming trend, overall warming weather tends to be better for humans and civilization, cooling trends typically cause mass starvation and civilization collapse.

Just based on the last couple times it's happened
     
     
  #178  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:29 PM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Never any love for Lake Missoula

The evidence for a flood of biblical proportions has been steadily gaining ground. Rapid melt, rapid climatic change.
     
     
  #179  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:30 PM
iheartthed iheartthed is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
RE: Outbreaks

Airplanes and the modern world are the reason why a pandemic will likely happen again.
In addition to airplanes being huge sources of greenhouse gases, maybe human mobility will also add to it. But we've got plenty of mosquitos here in North America to spread disease. There were no planes to blame back in the Dark Ages, but plenty of mosquitos, ticks, and rats.

Actually, civilization/urbanization is the easiest way to spread disease. We're more sanitary than we used to be, but we still constantly get each other sick. Then there are other potential sources of mass disease, like the water supply. The worst case scenarios could be really bad...
     
     
  #180  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:31 PM
Sun Belt's Avatar
Sun Belt Sun Belt is offline
Love it or leave it : )
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: The Envy of the World
Posts: 4,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I'd argue that a global cooling trend would be much more dire than a warming trend, overall warming weather tends to be better for humans and civilization, cooling trends typically cause mass starvation and civilization collapse.

Just based on the last couple times it's happened
Heck yeah. The evidence is out there as well. When we have cold hiccups, the world descends into starvation and chaos. Mankind has been around for a long time, yet it was only in a warm period that we flourished -- why is that?
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.