HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:54 PM

Looks like new renders of the rooftop pool on their website: https://www.highpointsaskatoon.com/amenities

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 8:12 PM

Just got email saying Highpoint launch weekend is September 28th & 29th. That is when their sales centre will open. They are still asking for people to register and then you would be contacted to set up an appointment time.

If it is anything like No1 Riverlanding, they will schedule about 100 people at the same time and it will be sold out in 2 days!!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
If it is anything like No1 Riverlanding, they will schedule about 100 people at the same time and it will be sold out in 2 days!!
I'm not expecting that type of response this time round, though it will obviously be dependent on price point. Remember that there are still unsold units in No.1 River Landing.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 10:16 PM

My understanding is that Urban Capital is aiming to come in a bit lower on price point than with No. 1 RL.

But I agree, it's not going to be a 1 weekend sell-out.

I do think the initial response will be strong enough to give them the confidence to start construction as soon as they can.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 10:21 PM

Saskatoon.. you are sexy!!!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I'm not expecting that type of response this time round, though it will obviously be dependent on price point. Remember that there are still unsold units in No.1 River Landing.
There are unsold units at 1RL but I think they only have so-so views. IMHO Highpoint has a lot going for it:
  • More units will have better overall views at Highpoint than 1RL. That is, the "average" view is much better. Few (if any) units will have "poor" views unlike 1RL.
  • The building itself is gorgeous (remember IMHO), with good amenities and private sheltered "balconies".
  • The location is ideal.
I would argue that the biggest factor is price, which is a bit of an unknown at this point. Still, I predict that by the end of the opening weekend it will be at least 75% sold, more than enough to proceed with construction.

I am interested to hear other predictions and reasons!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 10:53 PM

I agree completely with you, Alt Center!!

I think sales will be strong, as you point out there really are no obstructed views in this building and it has amenities unique to Saskatoon (rooftop salt water lap pool) and a location in the funky neighborhood of Nutana....it's a win, win, win for those that purchase. (IMHO)

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 2:24 PM

I also got my invite to the open house on the 27th & 28th but I won't be around for it. I'll be looking forward to see reviews (and prices) on this forum from those who were able to attend. I truly hope there's some great info that weekend.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:54 PM

Floor plans were sent out today to those who signed up on the mailing list.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 1:05 AM

Fencing down and stairs up (I thought I got the shot with no cars).

Anyway, we should soon know how sales go. I care about this because if it sells well I think it boosts the likelihood of another tower... hopefully by the farmers market.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotToScale View Post
Floor plans were sent out today to those who signed up on the mailing list.
I was surprised by the floor plans, as they were more "family oriented" than I would have thought. By that, I mean there were more bedrooms than what I expected. While the 3 smaller layouts (491 - 525 sqft) are all one bedroom units, the 2 bedroom units start at 706 sqft and go up to 882 sqft. There is also a 2 bedroom plus den layout of 1,052 sqft. The 3 bedroom units are 1,132 sqft and 1,173 sqft, while the 2 large penthouse floor plans are 3 bedrooms plus den.

While not small by any measure, they are smaller than what we would typically see for mid-to-high end condos in this market.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
Fencing down and stairs up (I thought I got the shot with no cars).

Anyway, we should soon know how sales go. I care about this because if it sells well I think it boosts the likelihood of another tower... hopefully by the farmers market.

I read this as the building opening in Sept 2029.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I was surprised by the floor plans, as they were more "family oriented" than I would have thought. By that, I mean there were more bedrooms than what I expected. While the 3 smaller layouts (491 - 525 sqft) are all one bedroom units, the 2 bedroom units start at 706 sqft and go up to 882 sqft. There is also a 2 bedroom plus den layout of 1,052 sqft. The 3 bedroom units are 1,132 sqft and 1,173 sqft, while the 2 large penthouse floor plans are 3 bedrooms plus den.

While not small by any measure, they are smaller than what we would typically see for mid-to-high end condos in this market.
The issue here is that we haven't really seen enough mid-to-high end condos in this market to have any indication as to what's normal. Urban Capital is a Toronto-based firm where developers are scrambling to build condo's with 500sqft for $600k +. Evidently, they are bringing some of that thinking to our market. As happened with the Banks, it's going to take some time for this market to adjust. I know there are renters in River Landing who are having a difficult time finding tenants because everyone is shocked by the small units; this just isn't something that Saskatoon has seen before.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 5:21 PM

I was a bit disappointed in the floor plans. My wife and I would be looking for a 2 bedroom (no need for den, as that is just wasted space for us that could be used for larger entertaining area). However, the sq footage of 2 bedroom is quite small and I assume the price point will be in the $600's for those??

I was excited for this to maybe be an option for us, but not sure now. However, I have to say that after viewing some of the "staged units" at Riverlanding recently, it did make us re-think how much space we actually 'needed' and that smaller square footage could work.

I think staging of show suites will be super important to demonstrate to our market how you can make the space work! For sure the location is the best in the city in my opinion!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
The issue here is that we haven't really seen enough mid-to-high end condos in this market to have any indication as to what's normal. Urban Capital is a Toronto-based firm where developers are scrambling to build condo's with 500sqft for $600k +. Evidently, they are bringing some of that thinking to our market. As happened with the Banks, it's going to take some time for this market to adjust. I know there are renters in River Landing who are having a difficult time finding tenants because everyone is shocked by the small units; this just isn't something that Saskatoon has seen before.
Sure we haven't seen much to this level of design. And I'm very glad we are getting some of these types of condos built in Stoon. But by no means should condos of this size in Saskatoon cost what they do in Toronto or Vancouver. The market is different for sure, but to say that Saskatoon needs to adjust to high prices for low sqft isn't the adjustment I would hope would happen. River landing is an example that Saskatoon doesn't need overpriced studio apartments, I'm glad with this tower they don't have any.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I was a bit disappointed in the floor plans. My wife and I would be looking for a 2 bedroom (no need for den, as that is just wasted space for us that could be used for larger entertaining area). However, the sq footage of 2 bedroom is quite small and I assume the price point will be in the $600's for those??

I was excited for this to maybe be an option for us, but not sure now. However, I have to say that after viewing some of the "staged units" at Riverlanding recently, it did make us re-think how much space we actually 'needed' and that smaller square footage could work.

I think staging of show suites will be super important to demonstrate to our market how you can make the space work! For sure the location is the best in the city in my opinion!
Hmmm... I have not yet seen the floorplans. I wonder if they incorporated feedback from RL customers (buyers and non-buyers alike). I am guessing that "more bedrooms" means they did.

My wife and I want to downsize, and we want 2 bedrooms. I have two friends each of whom have approx 800 sq ft 1 bedroom condos (not in Saskatoon). Their layouts are vastly different but even with just 1 bed 1 bath they both feel a bit cramped. I also have a friend with a 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft unit and it feels downright massive (the layout of that one is excellent). For me, the sweet spot for a 2 bed unit would be around 1000 sq. ft (depending on the layout of course).

Maybe the 2 bed plus den would work, but I'd also prefer the "extra space" be in the living area.

So I am not sure we would find a plan we like at highpoint. I hope they didn't misjudge the market (as if my requirements are the only ones that matter )

And, of course, ultimately the price is by far the most influential factor.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
Hmmm... I have not yet seen the floorplans. I wonder if they incorporated feedback from RL customers (buyers and non-buyers alike). I am guessing that "more bedrooms" means they did.

My wife and I want to downsize, and we want 2 bedrooms. I have two friends each of whom have approx 800 sq ft 1 bedroom condos (not in Saskatoon). Their layouts are vastly different but even with just 1 bed 1 bath they both feel a bit cramped. I also have a friend with a 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft unit and it feels downright massive (the layout of that one is excellent). For me, the sweet spot for a 2 bed unit would be around 1000 sq. ft (depending on the layout of course).

Maybe the 2 bed plus den would work, but I'd also prefer the "extra space" be in the living area.

So I am not sure we would find a plan we like at highpoint. I hope they didn't misjudge the market (as if my requirements are the only ones that matter )

And, of course, ultimately the price is by far the most influential factor.
Here’s the link to the floorplans https://www.highpointsaskatoon.com/floorplans password international

A friend told me that they are looking to be around $600 psf. My unit downtown with brand new everything on the 20th floor but built in the 60’s is $300psf. I just can’t wrap my head around the valuation.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2019, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Here’s the link to the floorplans https://www.highpointsaskatoon.com/floorplans password international

A friend told me that they are looking to be around $600 psf. My unit downtown with brand new everything on the 20th floor but built in the 60’s is $300psf. I just can’t wrap my head around the valuation.
Thanks for that... I see now what Crisis means by "more bedrooms". In fact it looks to me like all the prime river facing corner units are 3 bedrooms.

I assume that one target market for these units are downsizing boomers and that 2 bedrooms would be enough for them. Still, I predict the prime corner units will sell fast. We shall soon find out!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2019, 1:52 PM

As a boomer that is (has been ) downsizing, I was hoping for decent size 2 bedroom units (no den needed). I do not see that as an option with this project, unfortunately.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 10:35 PM

They are having a "sneak peak" event tonight at their sales centre. It was an rsvp event....no idea how I got on it, but was invited and my wife and I were planning to go. But she is held up with project at work, so not sure we will make it.

I received a reminder email yesterday about it and the reminder was to bring a cheque as units will be up for sale. So this is the same thing that NO1 did with a 'closed sales event for guests' where almost half the units were sold before released for public sale.

I doubt they will hit that mark with this pre-sale, but will be interesting to see the turn out if we make it to it.

Anyone else invited or going tonight??

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan