HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #21  
Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 8:47 PM
LosAngelesBeauty's Avatar
LosAngelesBeauty LosAngelesBeauty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 6,608
^ U mean tallest building in the world right?
__________________
Check out my blog DTLA Rising
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #22  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 3:03 AM
mountsac mountsac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
Why do Asian countries celebrate New Years Eve?... I guess it's good that Christianity has taken roots way over in East Asia.
maybe i'm not understanding this correctly, but what does new year eve have to do with christianity?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #23  
Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:36 AM
simcityaustin's Avatar
simcityaustin simcityaustin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta/Chicago
Posts: 408
SONY BRAVIA!!! Lol, well now I know why they had so much to burn on fireworks.
__________________
University of Iowa! Go Hawkeyes!
No, I think I'll just go down and have some pudding and wait for it all to turn up.... It always does in the end. ~ Luna Lovegood
Chi-town fan!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #24  
Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 5:35 PM
staff's Avatar
staff staff is offline
low life in a tall place
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Singapore.SG | Malmö.SE
Posts: 5,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
Why do Asian countries celebrate New Years Eve?... I guess it's good that Christianity has taken roots way over in East Asia.
What the fuck are you talking about!?
__________________
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #25  
Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 11:42 PM
BINARY SYSTEM's Avatar
BINARY SYSTEM BINARY SYSTEM is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by staff View Post
What the fuck are you talking about!?
Here staff, go back to school to learn basic knowledge!

The Gregorian calendar is the most widely used calendar in the World. A modification of the Julian calendar (Roman), it was first proposed by the Calabrian doctor Aloysius Lilius, and was decreed by Pope Gregory XIII, for whom it was named, on 24 February 1582. It's the year 2007 because it relates to the year Christ was believed to be born.


Adoption in East Asia


The Republic of China (ROC) formally adopted the Gregorian calendar at its founding on 1 January 1912 (called being westernized), but China soon descended into a period of warlordism with different warlords using different calendars. With the unification of China under the Kuomintang in October 1928, the Nationalist Government decreed that effective 1 January 1929 the Gregorian calendar would be used henceforth. However, China retained the Chinese traditions of numbering the months and a modified Era System, backdating the first year of the ROC to 1912; this system is still in use in Taiwan where this ROC government retains control. Upon its foundation in 1949, the People's Republic of China continued to use the Gregorian calendar with numbered months, but abolished the ROC Era System and adopted the Western fashion of naming years.


New Year's Day is the first day of the year, in the Gregorian calendar, falling exactly one week after Christmas Day of the previous year.

New Year's Eve is a separate observance from the observance of New Year's Day. In 21st-century Western practice, New Year's Eve is celebrated with parties and social gatherings until the moment of the transition of the year at midnight. Many cultures use fireworks and other forms of noise making in part of the celebration in cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, London, Edinburgh, Istanbul, Berlin, Paris, Athens, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Manila, New York City, Las Vegas, Taipei, Hong Kong, Seoul, Chicago, Toronto, Rio de Janeiro, Valparaiso, Niagara Falls, Ontario and Montreal.


Understand now, or do I have to explain the english language now too!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #26  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 4:38 AM
mountsac mountsac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
Here staff, go back to school to learn basic knowledge!

The Gregorian calendar is the most widely used calendar in the World. A modification of the Julian calendar (Roman), it was first proposed by the Calabrian doctor Aloysius Lilius, and was decreed by Pope Gregory XIII, for whom it was named, on 24 February 1582. It's the year 2007 because it relates to the year Christ was believed to be born.


Adoption in East Asia


The Republic of China (ROC) formally adopted the Gregorian calendar at its founding on 1 January 1912 (called being westernized), but China soon descended into a period of warlordism with different warlords using different calendars. With the unification of China under the Kuomintang in October 1928, the Nationalist Government decreed that effective 1 January 1929 the Gregorian calendar would be used henceforth. However, China retained the Chinese traditions of numbering the months and a modified Era System, backdating the first year of the ROC to 1912; this system is still in use in Taiwan where this ROC government retains control. Upon its foundation in 1949, the People's Republic of China continued to use the Gregorian calendar with numbered months, but abolished the ROC Era System and adopted the Western fashion of naming years.


New Year's Day is the first day of the year, in the Gregorian calendar, falling exactly one week after Christmas Day of the previous year.

New Year's Eve is a separate observance from the observance of New Year's Day. In 21st-century Western practice, New Year's Eve is celebrated with parties and social gatherings until the moment of the transition of the year at midnight. Many cultures use fireworks and other forms of noise making in part of the celebration in cities such as Sydney, Melbourne, Tokyo, London, Edinburgh, Istanbul, Berlin, Paris, Athens, Los Angeles, New Orleans, Manila, New York City, Las Vegas, Taipei, Hong Kong, Seoul, Chicago, Toronto, Rio de Janeiro, Valparaiso, Niagara Falls, Ontario and Montreal.


Understand now, or do I have to explain the english language now too!

initially, many european countries resist this catholic invention because of religious reasons, but i don't think they eventually accepted the new calender because they all became catholics.

likewise, to say that taiwan's celebration of new year's eve shows that chritianity has taken roots in east asia is the same thing as saying that the fact that everyone in the world use hindu-arabic numeral system shows that hindu or islam has taken roots in all the primary schools around the world.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #27  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 3:20 PM
BINARY SYSTEM's Avatar
BINARY SYSTEM BINARY SYSTEM is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountsac View Post
initially, many european countries resist this catholic invention because of religious reasons, but i don't think they eventually accepted the new calender because they all became catholics.

likewise, to say that taiwan's celebration of new year's eve shows that chritianity has taken roots in east asia is the same thing as saying that the fact that everyone in the world use hindu-arabic numeral system shows that hindu or islam has taken roots in all the primary schools around the world.
Nobody said that Christianity is praised in every Asian household, I just said that the western influence is very apparent. And the numbers we use today are from Europe (check link). The Chinese calendar says it's the Fire Pig year: dīnghài (丁亥) Fire Pig 4704 February 18. Don't get mad and angry because the influence of the west has taken hold of a vast world audience that has influenced many countries. News Years Eve is solely a wetsern tradition that has recently taken part in Asian countries that have opened their arms to the west, such as Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and now China... interesting that these countries have US bases or are our primary trading partner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...umerals-en.svg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #28  
Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 9:18 PM
mountsac mountsac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BINARY SYSTEM View Post
Nobody said that Christianity is praised in every Asian household, I just said that the western influence is very apparent. And the numbers we use today are from Europe (check link). The Chinese calendar says it's the Fire Pig year: dīnghài (丁亥) Fire Pig 4704 February 18. Don't get mad and angry because the influence of the west has taken hold of a vast world audience that has influenced many countries. News Years Eve is solely a wetsern tradition that has recently taken part in Asian countries that have opened their arms to the west, such as Japan, Taiwan, South Korea and now China... interesting that these countries have US bases or are our primary trading partner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...umerals-en.svg
if you refer to my previous posts, you will realize that i was not being mad. i don't think my comments were far from reasonable logic.

and if you refer to your own post, you will realize that you said "I guess it's good that Christianity has taken roots way over in East Asia." putting aside the value judgment, i think your inference of chritian influence from the celebration of new year in taiwan is a total stretch. that's all i'm talking about (you should have realized that when i used the arabic numeral system as an example); i'm not disputing western influence in asian countries. I think western influence around the world is something we can all agree on, it's just a matter of degree. so maybe you should focus on the argument about christianity rather than referring to irrelevant evidence such as who's whose trading partner or copying entries from wikipedia.

if you want to back away from the word chrisitanity, i will gladly concede that it was a misunderstanding on the subject at stake, but you should understand that just because people disagree with you doesn't mean that they don't understand english (as you implied in your response to staff) or they are asians with inferiority complex who only argue with you because they are overshadowed by the all-mighty western influence (as you implied in your response to me).

Last edited by mountsac; Mar 27, 2007 at 9:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #29  
Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 12:49 AM
BINARY SYSTEM's Avatar
BINARY SYSTEM BINARY SYSTEM is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 119
I don't mean to sound insulting but the year 2007 has a major significance with the life of Christ. My previous post was misquoted, maybe just the Western influence in Taiwan is what I was trying to get across not Christianity as a religion. Either way Taipei 101 was a fantastic site to see on New Year's Eve.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:59 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.