HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 1, 2018, 4:10 PM
TL;DR

Deleting the cube crown in favor of extending the window wall isn't necessarily value engineering.

The tower after that last setback has a floorplate that's probably too small for apartments plus a stair core, let alone an elevator, so they're not gaining any leasable space.

The only question is whether they save money pouring a couple of useless floors with the same methodology as all the lower floors and enclosing it in glass, vs doing a customized pour on that level for the open crown. It's probably not a huge cost savings either way.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Deleting the cube crown in favor of extending the window wall isn't necessarily value engineering.

The tower after that last setback has a floorplate that's probably too small for apartments plus a stair core, let alone an elevator, so they're not gaining any leasable space.

The only question is whether they save money pouring a couple of useless floors with the same methodology as all the lower floors and enclosing it in glass, vs doing a customized pour on that level for the open crown. It's probably not a huge cost savings either way.
Are they extending the window wall?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:16 AM

08/30/18

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:32 AM
1st Ward

Damn, looking like its about to end OMP's reign as the tallest in the South Loop

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:22 AM

Anyone got a floor count? How many more do we got to go?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 11:39 PM
dream fast

9/3

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 12:04 AM
Everywhere all at once

What a great contemporary adaptation of a classic and prototypical Chicago architectural style. I honestly much prefer this (these?) to OMP as the peak of the South Loop skyline.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 1:34 AM
The City

Yeah, this is the best thing that’s gone up in the South Loop any time in recent memory, IMO

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 2:18 PM

having that peak third from the lake helps with depth, aesthetically

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 2:32 PM
BANNED

Besides that god awful parking garage, this building is a major skyline enhancer. It echoes Chicago design in a really striking way.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 2:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2ATX View Post
What a great contemporary adaptation of a classic and prototypical Chicago architectural style. I honestly much prefer this (these?) to OMP as the peak of the South Loop skyline.
x1,000,000,000.

this building is going to be light years better than OMP.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 5:24 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
Besides that god awful parking garage, this building is a major skyline enhancer. It echoes Chicago design in a really striking way.
It will suck having to deal with looking at it for the next several years, but it will eventually be covered up by an even taller building, so I suppose its worth the wait.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 5:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
It will suck having to deal with looking at it for the next several years, but it will eventually be covered up by an even taller building, so I suppose its worth the wait.
Yeah, it's fine. It would be nice though if people could just have one car per household.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 6, 2018 at 8:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 5:39 PM
Ω

Quote:
It's not great at the street level on all sides even apart from the parking garage. Multi-story painted CMU walls. It's like a high school gymnasium. I took some pictures this morning that I'll post.

I do like the tower formally and I'm even warming up to the painted concrete. The glass looks great. It reminds me of old school Modernism which is interesting.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's fine. It would be nice though if people could just have one car per household.
Yep... unless you have a family of 5, having multiple cars is just silly, especially in a city with as much public transit as we do. Very frustrating that mandatory parking minimums are still a thing.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 12:42 PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2018, 4:21 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
It's not great at the street level on all sides even apart from the parking garage. Multi-story painted CMU walls. It's like a high school gymnasium. I took some pictures this morning that I'll post.

I do like the tower formally and I'm even warming up to the painted concrete. The glass looks great. It reminds me of old school Modernism which is interesting.
How do you know the CMU is the finished surface? I’m guessing it’s just a substrate for a stucco or EIFS installation. Maybe fiber cement panel.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 1:36 PM

was on rosevelt this weekend (exporing northerly island with basically no other humans due to the weather) and got to see this painted white concrete up close. not flattering - hopefully there is more finishing detail to be done here. otherwise these walls look like a highschool gym from 1986.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 2:36 PM

9 September 2018

From the west, this has almost completely obscured One Museum Park, and it continues to climb.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 4:44 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
How do you know the CMU is the finished surface? I’m guessing it’s just a substrate for a stucco or EIFS installation. Maybe fiber cement panel.
The CMU is flush with the painted concrete and they've already started painting it. They haven't bolted any hangers for metal panels or some sort of facade treatment. So I'm pretty certain that the intended facade is painted CMU.

If they attach something to it it will stick out beyond the painted concrete. I guess that's possible, just very improbably given the design of the rest of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive