HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:37 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Bob McCown has a dual citizenship and was born in the USA.
I happened upon his show the other night in the car when I tuned into an Ottawa sports radio station. I could have swore it was an American show and actually thought it was until he said ''Good night from Toronto".

It's not the only one like this of course.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Bob McCown has a dual citizenship and was born in the USA.
Yes, I know, but he grew up in Scarborough (born in Cleveland) I used to be a regular listener until the Rogers influence took over.

He has on the same American guests all the time, who mean what to us? What the hell do writers for the Boston Globe and USA Today have to contribute to a supposedly Canadian talk show?

Another guy said it best. Why do we have this middleman telling us about American sports when we can go right to the source ie Jim Rome.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 6:18 PM

Here's a cool NFB doc from yesteryear with some rare footage of the 76 Men's Olympic basketball team and the legend Jack Donohue. Also Diane Jones, Canada's sweetheart...yowza

The team finished fourth in the Olympics which was a pretty good accomplishment when you consider that the full USSR team competed (including Lithuania et al) and the full Yugoslavian team as well.

I'll Go Again
NFB Paul Cowan, 1977, 41 min 26s

This documentary by director Paul Cowan is about four athletes and a team (Men's basketball team) that competed in the 1976 Olympics. They had trained courageously to be among those who would mount the podium to receive a medal. None of them did, but was it worth the effort? I'll Go Again answers the question.

Last edited by elly63; Jan 30, 2016 at 6:36 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:33 PM

I suspect if Toronto were hosting the Olympics you'd all be complaining that the networks were preempting your local sporting events to live feed them.

But fair enough, if complaining about Toronto is what gets yall through the day have at it. It's actually really amusing.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
I suspect if Toronto were hosting the Olympics you'd all be complaining that the networks were preempting your local sporting events to live feed them.

But fair enough, if complaining about Toronto is what gets yall (whats with the dixism?) through the day have at it. It's actually really amusing.
So I take you need a safe room with some puppies and kittens when people talk about Toronto?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 2:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

BTW the most popular sport in Canada in terms of paid annual attendance is actually CHL junior hockey. Attendance is over 7 million a year. More than all of the Canadian NHL teams combined, more than the CFL, the Raptors, the Blue Jays. More than anyone.

But how much CHL coverage is there in the national media? A bit during the Memorial Cup and that's about it.

On the other hand we get TSN Sports Radio often doing like I heard them in the fall, giving us those critical early season NCAA basketball scores. UConn beat Boston College at the buzzer on Oct. 15. Woohoo!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
BTW the most popular sport in Canada in terms of paid annual attendance is actually CHL junior hockey. Attendance is over 7 million a year. More than all of the Canadian NHL teams combined, more than the CFL, the Raptors, the Blue Jays. More than anyone.

But how much CHL coverage is there in the national media? A bit during the Memorial Cup and that's about it.

On the other hand we get TSN Sports Radio often doing like I heard them in the fall, giving us those critical early season NCAA basketball scores. UConn beat Boston College at the buzzer on Oct. 15. Woohoo!
They give the scores because people gamble on the games. I have a suggestion: Start a thread about CHL junior hockey. Or start a thread about how TSN doesn't represent homegrown sports.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
They give the scores because people gamble on the games.
I'd like to know if there are 7 million individual bets placed on NCAA basketball in a given year in Canada.

Quote:
I have a suggestion: Start a thread about CHL junior hockey. Or start a thread about how TSN doesn't represent homegrown sports.
You kind of have a point but I've never been into Thread Nazism. The discussion goes where the discussion goes.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I also would say that most CIS basketball fans across Canada are Raptors fans as well.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So I take you need a safe room with some puppies and kittens when people talk about Toronto?
Yeah that's exactly it. I thought this was a thread about basketball?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I get CHCH out of Hamilton on my cable package.

They have or at least had this sports talk show.

The lineup of topics is very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aa1RB7wMjk

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Yeah that's exactly it. I thought this was a thread about basketball?
It is, and we're talking about Canadian basketball and not the Raptors which is probably pissing some people off who think basketball in Canada started with the Raptors, so be it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
It is, and we're talking about Canadian basketball and not the Raptors which is probably pissing some people off who think basketball in Canada started with the Raptors, so be it.
A snippet of the first post from the thread-starter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by middeljohn View Post
The other sports have threads, so I'm starting one for basketball.

Fresh off beating the Thunder in OKC on a second night of a back to back, the Raptors are now 5-0. In the 12 years watching the Raptors, this is the best I've ever seen them play.
So, no... this thread is about "Basketball in Canada" which includes the Raptors because (big surprise) it's basketball being played in Canada. If the discussion of the Raptors pisses you off, so be it. Maybe you should just ignore those Raptors posts or this thread altogether? If you wan't, you can start a thread entitled "Canadian Basketball" or "Canadian Basketball Leagues and Players". The original poster set the discussion of this thread. Stop trying to take over every thread and shove your agenda down everyone's throat.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Though, it is worth noting that the Raptors are seemingly responsible for the sudden explosion of high-end basketball talent coming out of the GTA. The NBA is suddenly full of young Ontarians such as Andrew Wiggins, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Dwight Powell, Kelly Olynyk, Nik Stauskas, Tyler Ennis, Anthony Bennet and soon Jamal Murray... all of whom were born around the time that the franchise was created, and grew up watching Vince Carter.

Ironically this "American" league is responsible for Canada likely becoming a regular medal-winner in international basketball.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 3:53 PM

Back on topic:

The Raptors won their 11th in a row! They've now tied the Jays for the longest streak streak in Toronto. They have a decent chance of breaking the record - they face the Denver Nuggets who are a 0.375 team... although the Raptors lost to them last month.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:26 PM

Good article on Demar's continued improvement:
http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/...f-an-all-star/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:45 PM

Well yeah unlike the average age of the average CFL fan (50s) it's definitely a younger livelier and typically more urban crowd. Even more so than baseball which like the CFL tends to attract a older suburban fan.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Well yeah unlike the average age of the average CFL fan (50s) it's definitely a younger livelier and typically more urban crowd. Even more so than baseball which like the CFL tends to attract a older suburban fan.
Seeing as you and your American cousin Berklon have upped your CFL shots (Berklon your trolling (sig and avator) is oh so subtle) you should at least be informed about baseball. But as usual the ignorance is deafening. Who goes to Jays games these days? 50 plus? I think not, but an audience closer to this...

Video Link

Last edited by elly63; Jan 31, 2016 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:11 PM

Quote:
But as usual the ignorance is deafening.

Video Link
Speaking of ignorance... you do realize that these girls who are taking selfies are part of a contest at the game where you tweet your fan photo, right? It's right there in the video too.

Quote:
It gives me hope that you protest so much as it's painfully obvious deep down you know you are not doing right.

Says the person who stalks me looking for things to fault. I remember a few years ago you wound up in the Hamilton section countering something I said - a section you really had no reason to be in since you're not in Hamilton (or even close to Hamilton).

It's weird because I only see you in the sports threads. You do realize there are much more important things in this world than sports, right? Certainly not something to go on constant rants for.
I think you really need to step away from the keyboard and not take things so personally. Relax, it's only sports. You must leave a charmed life if sports is the only thing you have to worry about. Go outside and enjoy the weather. Spend some time with friends and family. Breathe - everything will be OK.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 5:19 PM

Uhh no, I was exposing the myth of the audience in baseball being older and that MLB has probably the best on line presence of all major league sports.

Berkie boy, you can try and deflect the argument all you want, when you stop shitting on things Canadian and promoting the USA, you don't hear from me. It's so simple even you can understand it.

I can't post in a Hamilton thread? Didn't you just say people died for my right to free speech? You're confusing me now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada