HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
$5.5 billion!??!?!?

The way things are going this could become an extinction level event for a lot of sports leagues. Although I'd imagine they'd spring back pretty quickly for the most part once the pandemic situation settles down.
Yeah I think players in most sports players will soon have to accept 35 to 40% pay cuts next season be it NFL, English Premier League, NHL,NBA,MLB, Bundesliga, La Liga, CFL ect...

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Yeah I think players in most sports players will soon have to accept 35 to 40% pay cuts next season be it NFL, English Premier League, NHL,NBA,MLB, Bundesliga, La Liga, CFL ect...
Dak Prescott of the Cowboys is likely thinking "I should have swallowed my pride and took the 30+ Million per year contract"

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Dak Prescott of the Cowboys is likely thinking "I should have swallowed my pride and took the 30+ Million per year contract"
Dak is a fool he wants 40 million a year and he isnt even a top 10 quarterback

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Dak is a fool he wants 40 million a year and he isnt even a top 10 quarterback
And the Cowboys are fools to offer him that.

On another note, just watched a short doc on YouTube on the San Diego/LA Chargers. I'm not shocked at all at the greed, hubris, and outright assholeness of the NFL and its owners. Kudos for the city of San Diego of telling Speros to go fuck himself. At the time of the making of this doc, Covid-19 was nowhere on the horizon so Speros was looking good even though nobody in LA was interested in the Bolts. We shall see what happens after we emerge from all this and maybe the NFL takes a step back?

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:13 PM

Chris Cuthbert on his Top-10 calls and a career behind the mic
Chris O’Leary cfl.ca May 31, 2020

Chris Cuthbert's Top -10 Games

1 2010 (Olympics Crosby) Golden Goal
2 1996 Grey Cup (my first)
3 Salé-Pelletier 2002 Olympic Gold
4 1994 (CFL) West Final (Lions vs Stamps)
5 Game 7 1993 (SCP NHL) NYI Pitt
6 2016 Grey Cup (Stamps vs RedBlacks)
7 Van Koeverden 2004 Olympic Gold
8 1992 (CFL) West Final (Stamps vs Esks)
9 Canada Day Riders-Alouettes 2010
10 Flyers-Penguins 5 OT 2000

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Chris Cuthbert on his Top-10 calls and a career behind the mic
Chris O’Leary cfl.ca May 31, 2020

Chris Cuthbert's Top -10 Games

1 2010 (Olympics Crosby) Golden Goal
2 1996 Grey Cup (my first)
3 Salé-Pelletier 2002 Olympic Gold
4 1994 (CFL) West Final (Lions vs Stamps)
5 Game 7 1993 (SCP NHL) NYI Pitt
6 2016 Grey Cup (Stamps vs RedBlacks)
7 Van Koeverden 2004 Olympic Gold
8 1992 (CFL) West Final (Stamps vs Esks)
9 Canada Day Riders-Alouettes 2010
10 Flyers-Penguins 5 OT 2000
Cuthbert has been the best in the biz since Don Wittman passed away both of them have had such incredible versatility calling multiple sports seamlessly and don't over dramatize their calls but rather build sporting events up to a crescendo which is how the best do it.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 10:50 PM

Justin Dunk from 3downation was on Rod Pedersen show today reporting that things are inching more positively between the CFL and CFLPA towards a covid based CBA agreement under the 2 hub city model with East teams out of Winnipeg and West teams out of Regina. See at 13:20 minute mark of video to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ5KI6VL5UE

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:50 AM

^ It would be kind of weird if the Bombers had to play out of Regina while other teams played in Winnipeg. Games exclusively between eastern opponents at IG Field would mean almost nil ticket sales because I can't think of too many people locally who'd be throwing down money to watch the Als and Redblacks, or the Argos and Ticats.

I mean, I'd go to a game or two just for the novelty of it but I realize I'm a bit of an outlier...

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ It would be kind of weird if the Bombers had to play out of Regina while other teams played in Winnipeg. Games exclusively between eastern opponents at IG Field would mean almost nil ticket sales because I can't think of too many people locally who'd be throwing down money to watch the Als and Redblacks, or the Argos and Ticats.

I mean, I'd go to a game or two just for the novelty of it but I realize I'm a bit of an outlier...
If the east plays out of Winnipeg I would guess that the Winnipeg will be flipping back to the east division for a season.

With the two hub cities I wonder if it's possible, or plausible for that matter, to have each team play each other once. Scrap divisions for a year. Top 6 make playoffs. Top 2 get a bye. Re-seed after first round of playoffs. Not like I'm suggesting a new idea just might finally be the time to try it. Of course we gotta get a green light to play first!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2020, 6:55 PM

The Saskatchewan Roughriders posted a loss of over $200,000 for the 2019-2020 fiscal year.
According to Regina Leader-Post reporter Murray McCormick: the Riders garnered increased revenues through sponsorships, a home playoff game and fundraising during the 2019-20 fiscal year.

However, some of the gains were offset by funds that were already spent on the 2020 Grey Cup game, which was moved by the CFL to 2022 as a result of the coronavirus, and league expenses. The Riders had already spent $500,000 on the 2020 Grey Cup game, which was to be played at Mosaic Stadium on Nov. 22.

The Green and White’s gate receipts for 2019-20 were $17.1 million, compared to a franchise-record $17.2 million in 2018-19.
The total merchandise sold was $6.0 million, down from $6.8 million last year. Sponsorships increased to $7.3 million, from $6.8 million.
The Riders were active in the community during 2019-20, donating $1.28 million to not-for-profit and charitable organizations across Saskatchewan.

Each CFL franchise paid $660,000 for the Montreal Alouettes to operate under the watch of the league in 2019. That payment caused the Riders to go into the red for the first time in three years.
Saskatchewan earned a net profit of $1.4 million in 2018-2019 which was up from $781,930 in 2017-2018 and $33,000 in 2016-2017.

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/04/r...0-fiscal-year/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:50 PM

CFL play-by-play man Chris Cuthbert leaves TSN for Sportsnet
Justin Dunk 3downnation June 5, 2020

The voice of the Canadian Football League, Chris Cuthbert has left TSN for Sportsnet.

Cuthbert joined TSN in June 2005 as play-by-play announcer for the CFL on TSN and the three-letter network’s hockey coverage. He called 16 Grey Cups while at TSN, his last the Winnipeg Blue Bombers triumph in November 2019.

“Sportsnet owns the No. 1 sports property in the country and I’ve always felt there is something special about broadcasting hockey games on Saturday nights,” Cuthbert said.

“I look forward to having the opportunity and honour of contributing once again to the distinguished tradition of Hockey Night in Canada and delivering the NHL playoffs as a member of the Sportsnet broadcast team. Along with my new colleagues, I count down the days until the puck drops again in 2020.”

The 62-year-old Cuthbert started his broadcast career in 1979, he has called CFL and NHL games and Stanley Cup playoffs for many years and also various Olympic sports. Among his most memorable and career-defining calls is Sidney Crosby’s “golden goal” from the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

Cuthbert is a five-time Canadian Screen Award (formerly Gemini) winner for his broadcasting work as well as a Sports Media Canada Broadcaster of the Year honouree and is also a member of the Football Reporters of Canada Hall of Fame.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:53 PM
the first stamp is free

^ best in the biz IMO.

That's a big loss for the TSN CFL play by play - but a huge upgrade on anyone at SN for the NHL play by play.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 4:55 PM

That sucks so bad for the CFL. I don't know what it is about Chris Cuthbert but he is just amazing. Most sports play by play guys are similar to the point of being indistinguishable to me, but Cuthbert is just next level. Big loss for the league.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:14 PM

If I were TSN CFL brass I would have Dunigan and Gord Miller pair up more often now as I found them the best after Cuthbert and Suitor.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:15 PM

Maybe just a sign too that the CFL won't be proceeding this year, as the NHL is... Chris want to work, so it would make sense for him to go to Sportsnet in order to work

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 9:17 PM

TSN bumping Dustin Nielsen up its CFL play-by-play depth chart
3Down Staff 3downnation June 5, 2020

TSN has to fill the CFL play-by-play void left by Chris Cuthbert moving over to Sportsnet and Dustin Nielson is in line to see more action.

Nielson called nearly 10 CFL games for TSN in 2019, it was his rookie season in the football broadcast booth for the network. According to Postmedia reporter Dan Barnes, Nielson will be getting more play-by-play work.

After graduating from Lethbridge College in 2003, Nielson called games for the McMurray Oil Barons (AJHL), Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL) and Edmonton Wildcats (CJFL). He graduated to doing University of Alberta football and hockey games in 2010 and became the lead play-by-play voice for Canada West Showcase football games in recent years.

The 38-year-old is based in Edmonton and hosts his popular The Nielson Show on TSN 1260 radio weekday mornings from 6-10 a.m. mountain standard time, which has been going for over 10 years.

TSN has put Nielson on hockey assignments, for the last two years he’s called Spengler Cup match ups.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 9:20 PM

Anytime an unfamiliar voice comes on the scene, they are scrutinized. I noticed Nielsen for the first time, right away, last year and thought he did a very good job. At his age, he could be the heir apparent.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 11:31 PM

I'm 35, honestly I can't remember the CFL without CC. I can't believe I won't hear him on FNF anymore. Feels like my best friend just moved away to a shithole town.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 8:03 PM

Canada West university conference to cancel fall sports, including football

The Canada West university conference is set to cancel their major sports for the fall semester, including football.
The University of Manitoba, University of Saskatchewan, University of Regina, University of Alberta, University of Calgary and University of British Columbia make up the six-team football conference. Calgary claimed the Canada West crown last year on the way to the Dinos hoisting the Vanier Cup for the first time since 1995.
Canadian universities typically play eight-game regular seasons and play down to a national championship. However, the coronavirus has forced the change and the Canada West wants its members to be able to adapt, prepare and plan appropriately for the fall semester.

https://3downnation.com/2020/06/07/c...ding-football/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 1:15 AM

I just saw the report on TSN that U Sports Canada West will cancel all sports this fall. They mentioned the Canada West has 5 football programs that were scheduled to play a shortened 5 game season... the 6 programs being UofA Golden Bears, U Calgary Dino’s, Manitoba Bisons, Sask Huskies, Regina Rams, UBC Thunderbirds...

I thought UBC was part of NCAA div II or III? Is that experiment over?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada