HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Trans National Place in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Boston Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 12, 2006, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Piano is known for works like the Centre Pompidou, an acclaimed modern art museum in Paris. He is also designing the new London Bridge skyscraper, which, at just over 1,000 feet, will be that city’s tallest tower.
... and the NYTimes tower, very much praised and cherished on this board. That's probably why he's likely to be selected for the job in Boston.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 10:14 PM

Anything yet ?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 11:37 PM

One bidder for Mayor's tower
Boston Business Journal - 5:14 PM EST Monday
by Michelle Hillman
Journal staff

Mayor Thomas Menino's dream for a tower is in the hands of one businessman -- Steven Belkin -- and world-renowned Italian architect Renzo Piano.

Responses to the Boston Redevelopment Authority's requests for proposals were due Nov. 13. Belkin's team was the only one that responded. Belkin was long considered a frontrunner for the development site at 115 Federal St. given the fact that he owns an adjacent building at 133 Federal Street.

Belkin's team has proposed 1.3 million square feet of commercial office space, 40,000 square feet of retail and restaurant uses and 55,000 square feet of public space including a one acre "Town Green" and a rooftop garden called "Lookout Garden."

In addition to benefiting from owning a neighboring site enabling him to expand the building's footprint, Belkin had earlier designs for the site -- which is currently a dilapidated, city-owned garage. In July, the Boston Business Journal reported that Belkin had hired Piano to design the tower.

The mayor's office issued a statement Monday in regard to Belkin's proposal for New England's tallest tower.

"I called for world-class architects to come up with a building that reflects all the greatness and potential of Boston," Menino said. "Today's proposal, a 1,000 foot tower from Trans National Properties, promises everything we asked for. I look forward to a working with the developer and to review in detail their plans for this historic project."

Belkin issued a similar statement.

"The Mayor has recognized the need for Boston to be well-positioned in a global economy and has raised the bar in asking for world-class architecture that reflects the Boston of the future," Belkin, chairman of Trans National Properties, said in the statement. "We commend him for his forward thinking vision, and have answered his call with a project driven by unprecedented public spaces and an innovative environmentally sustainable design."

The city and the Boston Redevelopment Authority issued a request for proposals in May. The city advertised in the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal in an effort to attract national and international interest.

The site was considered particularly difficult to develop given its location and the lack of viable commercial tenants to anchor the building. The site -- bounded by Franklin, Federal, Summer and Devonshire streets -- is approximately 47,000 square feet.

The BRA will review the economic feasibility of the proposal as part of phase two of the RFP process.

Though no time line was provided, the statement said a selection committee would make a final recommendation to the BRA Board of Directors. Once an internal review of the second stage is complete a public meeting will be scheduled.

Link

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 11:59 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Photo?

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 13, 2006, 11:59 PM
Pacific Wonderland

double post

Last edited by WonderlandPark; Nov 14, 2006 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 1:15 AM

^You got it!

Looks like Renzo is going for the NYT look here in Boston as well.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 1:21 AM

meh

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 1:30 AM
Run with Love

Yet again that is not the tower plan, but rather just what a tower of that size could look like in the skyline... for some reason they dont like making plans for what the real building might look like.
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 1:32 AM
Run with Love

BTW I also think we need a 800-900 foot buddy next to this beast... as its so much taller then all its fellows, we need something for the eye to fallow up too.
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 2:20 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb
... and the NYTimes tower, very much praised and cherished on this board.
Are you sure about that?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 2:24 AM
Pacific Wonderland

I like it, was hoping that the 1000' would be roof height and not a spire. Can't have it all, but this looks like a nice addition to the downtown cluster.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 2:52 AM
Run with Love

^ That building is likely taller then 1000 feet, the Brown building speeking out there is just across at the street and is just short of 600 feet. I would Say that building without the spire is 1050-1100, not that it matters

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 4:31 AM
The Believer

This pic should go in the OP.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 4:43 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon506

Assuming I'm measuring this all correctly (?), the roof height would be less than 900 ft and to the tip of the spire would be something like 1050 ft. I guess we'll see

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 4:46 AM
Landmark Restored

Atleast Piano is proposing a lamentable design for a city other than New York this time...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 4:54 AM

Tough crowd. I like it.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 4:57 AM

Now I wasn't expecting Renzo to do some Pelli-esque cliche setback-and-spire design, but this is flat out lame. 1,000 ft, yet nothing about it exclaims 1,000 feet and tallest in the city.

And what's with the spire? Did someone tack that on at the tail end of the 11th hour? Oh wait, the X-braces are supposed to make up for it. Gotcha.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 5:25 AM
Landmark Restored

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k
Now I wasn't expecting Renzo to do some Pelli-esque cliche setback-and-spire design, but this is flat out lame. 1,000 ft, yet nothing about it exclaims 1,000 feet and tallest in the city.

And what's with the spire? Did someone tack that on at the tail end of the 11th hour? Oh wait, the X-braces are supposed to make up for it. Gotcha.
If I'm reading the rendering correctly it'll have a detached observation deck, Prudential Center Part Deux.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 6:03 AM

the Prudential Center.... there's something to aspire to.

But to be less of a downer, an observation deck at that height in Boston would be supremely entertaining.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 9:28 AM

Is the mayor set on allowing a 1000-footer for a specific site or a variety of sites? What they should do is just lift height restrictions on much of the city. Boston could use some residential highrises with its artificially high price of housing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive