HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sura View Post
I think they're on the fifth floor by now.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:15 PM

Well curiosity got me, so I rode by, a cemetary has more action than this plot of disturbed earth..

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Well curiosity got me, so I rode by, a cemetary has more action than this plot of disturbed earth..
Cemeteries do move dirt quite often.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username123 View Post
Cemeteries do move dirt quite often.
Yes, and fill them back up....Sort of what Opus does...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:14 PM

As much as I rag on this, I still have a sliver of hope that it eventually happens.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:29 PM

Quote:
As much as I rag on this, I still have a sliver of hope that it eventually happens.
It is really utterly mind-boggling how this has not come to fruition...Shit or get off the pot...

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...do-tower-99534

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:32 PM

Quote:
It is really utterly mind-boggling how this has not come to fruition...Shit or get off the pot...
Bisnow must have heard me.

https://www.bisnow.com/atlanta/news/...99534?rt=69887

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Looks like we can bury this one...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Looks like we can bury this one...
I sprayed my coffee when I read the quote from that Broker that stated the development community is collectively calling it 'Nopus!'

This developer is a NY shyster if there was ever one - well, besides Trump of course.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:11 PM

Thats why some couldn't understand why people would continue bump up this thread. They didn't secured financing, so it was never any reason to get excited about this project. You can pay any old mickey mouse sub-contractors to push dirt back and forth to create an illusion of progress.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:57 PM

Ok! I agree this project is long overdue and most likely not going to happen; however, Yates isn’t a Mickey Mouse subcontractor. They probably do $500 million to $1 billion a year in construction. They aren’t a subcontractor; they are a major construction firm in the southeast. That means nothing for this project, but before you comment check your facts. Opus is an Nopus but that’s not a reflection on anyone but the developers not the working firms. Is Will & Perkins garbage because they are the architectural firm? Please!!

I realize your comment was focused on the developer most likely but Mickey Mouse firms as you say are the lively hoods of many a family around this country! Maybe I shouldn’t take offense but the little firms are the ones that get hurt in these types of deals and they are the good guys not the people who are playing with other people’s money like the developers are. Those Mickey Mouse firms are just trying to work hard, do a good job, and support their families.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Last edited by Atlriser; Jun 21, 2019 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:23 AM
Just a dude

It's always been financing, sadly they don't have the funds to go vertical. This type of project is just a bit ambitious at this point. I was always skeptical about the price points.

But don't let one project like this derail us from how amazing the city is doing. Also, tall buildings will come back to ATL but we need D-E-N-S-I-T-Y and transit first please!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpoulos27 View Post
It's always been financing, sadly they don't have the funds to go vertical. This type of project is just a bit ambitious at this point. I was always skeptical about the price points.

But don't let one project like this derail us from how amazing the city is doing. Also, tall buildings will come back to ATL but we need D-E-N-S-I-T-Y and transit first please!
Agreed.
Midtown is feeling more urban by the month. Every time I traverse the area, it feels more like a real downtown. Can't wait to see it 5 years from now.

And looking at all the cranes clustered in west midtown is simply amazing.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:52 AM

Atlanta isn’t ready for this type of development. People don’t have the money for this type of development. The city is a mix of bad 20 something story high rises and 100,00 dollar incomes. Child’s play compared to Nyc, Chicago, Miami, San Fran and La

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpoulos1 View Post
Atlanta isn’t ready for this type of development. People don’t have the money for this type of development. The city is a mix of bad 20 something story high rises and 100,00 dollar incomes. Child’s play compared to Nyc, Chicago, Miami, San Fran and La
Who's this guy?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
And you know any of this how, two post Professor?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 6:50 PM

Look around. You see a plethora of high end condo high rise projects? I’ve been reading this site longer than you’ve been alive probably. I’ve lived in this city and Chicago. People in Chicago have a house in the burbs and a condo in the city. We aren’t there yet. Don’t get your panties in a wad over it. Count the amount of condo buildings that are high end here. Don’t you think opus would have been in the sky by now if there was a market for this type of property here.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Look around. You see a plethora of high end condo high rise projects? I’ve been reading this site longer than you’ve been alive probably. I’ve lived in this city and Chicago. People in Chicago have a house in the burbs and a condo in the city. We aren’t there yet. Don’t get your panties in a wad over it. Count the amount of condo buildings that are high end here. Don’t you think opus would have been in the sky by now if there was a market for this type of property here.
I tend to agree, but think that that's just fine and could actually one of Atlanta's best qualities.. I'd rather have a city that caters to a healthy middle class than one that is filled with expensive homes/condos, high-end retail stores, and Michelin star restaurants that most people can't afford. There is certainly an heir of prestige that comes with all of that stuff, and I'm not saying that we wouldn't love to see some more architecturally significant (and tall) high-rise developments this cycle, but the truth is that all those cities people look to for examples (New York, Chicago, Miami, LA as well as others) are all struggling with rampant inequality, displacement, and an erosion of the social fabric that once made those places so great. Midtown doesn't need to be a playground for the wealthy. If the developers can get this project off the ground, then great! But if not, it doesn't speak any less of us or our march towards making this city a world class place to live and work and play.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 7:36 PM
Just a dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
I tend to agree, but think that that's just fine and could actually one of Atlanta's best qualities.. I'd rather have a city that caters to a healthy middle class than one that is filled with expensive homes/condos, high-end retail stores, and Michelin star restaurants that most people can't afford. There is certainly an heir of prestige that comes with all of that stuff, and I'm not saying that we wouldn't love to see some more architecturally significant (and tall) high-rise developments this cycle, but the truth is that all those cities people look to for examples (New York, Chicago, Miami, LA as well as others) are all struggling with rampant inequality, displacement, and an erosion of the social fabric that once made those places so great. Midtown doesn't need to be a playground for the wealthy. If the developers can get this project off the ground, then great! But if not, it doesn't speak any less of us or our march towards making this city a world class place to live and work and play.
Yep - Atlanta is growing so fast the supertalls, etc will come but I think we get a little height envious here when we really don't need to. I'd rather improve the infrastructure and continue to connect all of our neighborhoods. Trophy towers are great but Atlanta's skyline is top 10 IMO already and only going to get better.

I still think downtown is the true sleeper where we will eventually get the height a lot of you so desperately want. I get it, tall buildings are eye-catching but I would rather live here than in Miami, New York, LA. I love Chicago but we aren't there yet.

If Opus gets off the ground, great, but this thread honestly should die until there is some real news. Twitter posts from people with no insight, and salesman who are paid to say the project is moving forward are not true sources.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser View Post
Ok! I agree this project is long overdue and most likely not going to happen; however, Yates isn’t a Mickey Mouse subcontractor. They probably do $500 million to $1 billion a year in construction. They aren’t a subcontractor; they are a major construction firm in the southeast. That means nothing for this project, but before you comment check your facts. Opus is an Nopus but that’s not a reflection on anyone but the developers not the working firms. Is Will & Perkins garbage because they are the architectural firm? Please!!

I realize your comment was focused on the developer most likely but Mickey Mouse firms as you say are the lively hoods of many a family around this country! Maybe I shouldn’t take offense but the little firms are the ones that get hurt in these types of deals and they are the good guys not the people who are playing with other people’s money like the developers are. Those Mickey Mouse firms are just trying to work hard, do a good job, and support their families.
I work in construction litigation, so please do not try to PollyAnna the entire industry - as being reputable General Contractor or Sub- Contractors. Good and well managed contractors would not waste time without proof that financing is secured and Opus is serious about completion. A reputable General Contractor or Sub-Contractor would use resources: people and equipment to not only start something, but complete it. Furthermore, why would they risk liability of their employees by working on something that didn't have the full intent of being completed. A litigation lawsuit and the discovery process would sue that Contractor and Opus if some type of construction injury or other lawsuit were to arise, but Yates a billion company would be able to handle it-correct? I actually think this is a cover to pending lawsuit that will be coming toward Opus from potential buyers that paid money down, because they thought it would be reality by now. I would love to hear from those people that had to find other housing, because this project stalled.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta