HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 10:20 PM
Still optimistic

Ottawa is the LEAST polite city in Canada?

*sob*

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Great. It's close the mountains, Seattle, the island... funny thing about that is that I would be willing to bet that most people living in Vancouver have visited those places about as many times as I have.

Again for me it comes down to good place to live versus good place to visit.
Wrong on the first speculation.

Keep trying to convince yourself

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 11:04 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by AylmerOptimist View Post
Ottawa is the LEAST polite city in Canada?

*sob*
No, that distinction belongs to Nanaimo.

Everybody in that town is pretty sour for a place named after a cake.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2008, 6:56 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204 View Post
Wrong on the first speculation.

Keep trying to convince yourself
OK. It's just based on the several people that I know that live or have lived in Vancouver. I suppose they could represent the only people in Vancouver who live there but don't really do touristy things and other recreational activities... but I honestly doubt it.

My initial response was simply to point out that arguing to live somewhere based solely on near-by touristy things to do is really not realistic. Most people don't spend enough time doing those things to justify the costs of moving there.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 3:37 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
No, that distinction belongs to Nanaimo.

Everybody in that town is pretty sour for a place named after a cake.
I disagree. I would love to give my nomination for this title, but I think that everyone already knows what it is by now

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:30 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
I disagree. I would love to give my nomination for this title, but I think that everyone already knows what it is by now
Winnipeg?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 4:33 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Winnipeg?

Least Polite? Are you kidding me?

Calgary wins that hands down.

I guess you didn't read the last couple of posts to get the punchline.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 5:02 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Least Polite? Are you kidding me?

Calgary wins that hands down.

I guess you didn't read the last couple of posts to get the punchline.
Haha clearly I knew you meant Calgary...I was just "yanking your chain" as they say.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 2:53 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASKFTW View Post
Not only are Maritime cities the happiest, apparently they are the most polite too. Wow, Saskatoon and Ottawa really take the cake

Moncton, N.B., earns reputation of being most polite city
Last Updated: Sunday, December 30, 2007 | 11:58 PM ET
CBC News

Moncton, N.B., is the most polite city, according to a courtesy test of Canada's 15 largest cities conducted by Reader's Digest.

The magazine sent two undercover reporters across the country to carry out an informal survey that marked each city on whether people held the doors open for its journalists, whether salesclerks thanked them for purchases and whether people would pick up a dropped folder in busy locations.

Moncton earned 80 per cent with Calgary and Vancouver tying for second place with 77 per cent. Edmonton ranked third with 73 per cent.

"The Maritime cities generally did very well," said Cynthia Ann Shannon, who works with Reader's Digest in Montreal, which ranked fifth with 68 per cent.

Victoria, Charlottetown and St. John's, N.L., ranked fourth with 70 per cent. Halifax and Winnipeg came in sixth place with 67 per cent. Regina and Quebec City ranked seventh and eighth with 63 per cent and 62 per cent, respectively.

Toronto came in ninth with 60 per cent. Saskatoon and Ottawa scored the worst with 57 per cent and 50 per cent, respectively.

Source
I do see a bit of truth in this... My sister and I went up to Saskatoon the other weekend and we mentioned to each other that Saskatoon seems to be less polite than Regina now. (We were born and lived a good portion of our lives in Saskatoon so no, it isn't the Regina vs Saskatoon thing going on... personally, I love both cities equally).

As for Ottawa being last... must be the concentration of all the politicians.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2008, 5:01 PM
Mooderator

I live in Gatineau, but work in Ottawa. When I cross the border to go to work, I immediately become a raging asshole.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 5:04 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Who are all these people working 2 and 3 jobs just to survive in bigger cities, and therefore miserable? Guess I just don't know the right people.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 5:14 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Who are all these people working 2 and 3 jobs just to survive in bigger cities, and therefore miserable? Guess I just don't know the right people.
I know a few in Calgary... they have good positions, but work a 2nd job to afford a larger house. Really sad if you ask me, but to each there own I guess.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 5:23 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I know a few in Calgary... they have good positions, but work a 2nd job to afford a larger house. Really sad if you ask me, but to each there own I guess.
It was a bit of sarcasm. I know a few in Winnipeg, too (especially with housing nearly doubled in cost over the past 5 years or so). Hell, I know a few in towns of a few thousand people.

I just think the stereotype of "OMG everyone in Vancouver and Toronto has to work 6 jobs!" really displays people's ignorance quite well.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 6:15 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
It was a bit of sarcasm. I know a few in Winnipeg, too (especially with housing nearly doubled in cost over the past 5 years or so). Hell, I know a few in towns of a few thousand people.

I just think the stereotype of "OMG everyone in Vancouver and Toronto has to work 6 jobs!" really displays people's ignorance quite well.
So does posting a picture of Winnipeg in a cartoon with a stupid sign like the one above to make Winnipeg seem like a hole. Although, I would expect a Calgarian to sink to that level

It really is sad that you have no pride or faith in your hometown, and instead come here to belittle it. I see by your aviatar that you are "Loving Cowtown". Well, that is great and there is nothing wrong with it, but if you really don't like Winnipeg, then your best bet is to probably stick to the Calgary thread where you can express your pride for Calgary.

Last edited by Greco Roman; Feb 3, 2008 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 6:42 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
So does posting a picture of Winnipeg in a cartoon with a stupid sign like the one above to make Winnipeg seem like a hole. Although, I would expect a Calgarian to sink to that level

It really is sad that you have no pride or faith in your hometown, and instead come here to belittle it. I see by your aviatar that you are "Loving Cowtown". Well, that is great and there is nothing wrong with it, but if you really don't like Winnipeg, then your best bet is to probably stick to the Calgary thread where you can express your pride for Calgary.
Defensive much?

You do realize that joke was written by a former Winnipegger who has rather fond memories of his hometown, right?

Edit: hmm, nm. I always remember (incorrectly) Groening as having grown up in Winnipeg. It was his family that spent time in Canada. Saskatchewan, specifically. It was an offhand comment about Homer being from Winnipeg that muddies the memories.

Last edited by freeweed; Feb 3, 2008 at 6:54 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 8:18 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Defensive much?

You do realize that joke was written by a former Winnipegger who has rather fond memories of his hometown, right?

Edit: hmm, nm. I always remember (incorrectly) Groening as having grown up in Winnipeg. It was his family that spent time in Canada. Saskatchewan, specifically. It was an offhand comment about Homer being from Winnipeg that muddies the memories.

I do understand that it did come from the Simpsons as a joke and the creators connection to Winnipeg, but I could tell the context in which you were using it, so I called you on it. I would love to see them do a spoof on Calgary as a bunch of redneck, banjo-picking, cow-humping people who leave plastic glasses as spitunes all over the place after chewing their wacky tabacky.

Now that would be a riot!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 11:20 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I do understand that it did come from the Simpsons as a joke and the creators connection to Winnipeg, but I could tell the context in which you were using it, so I called you on it.
The context I was using it was based on the preceding 2 pages of discussing as to what makes a city good, bad, or what have you (and specifically the city's residents happy). A coupla folks had a bit of a discourse regarding how well-travelled Winnipeggers may or may not be, and that made me think of this cartoon. The joke itself not only pokes some light-hearted fun at Winnipeg, but also comments on the fact that only people from Winnipeg really know about the good things there. People who've never lived there really have no clue about the city at all, and half the joke is poking fun at them.

Wow, you really have a stick up your ass about Calgary for some reason. I'm not even sure what Calgary has to do with this joke, my use of it, or this thread - beyond the fact that you seem to want to bring up Calgary at any possible opportunity. Your 30 years out of date stereotype once again goes to show that most stereotypes really make more fun of the person using it than the intended target (much like the cartoon above).

What, did a Calgarian kill your puppy or something when you were a kid?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 11:43 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
The context I was using it was based on the preceding 2 pages of discussing as to what makes a city good, bad, or what have you (and specifically the city's residents happy). A coupla folks had a bit of a discourse regarding how well-travelled Winnipeggers may or may not be, and that made me think of this cartoon. The joke itself not only pokes some light-hearted fun at Winnipeg, but also comments on the fact that only people from Winnipeg really know about the good things there. People who've never lived there really have no clue about the city at all, and half the joke is poking fun at them.

Wow, you really have a stick up your ass about Calgary for some reason. I'm not even sure what Calgary has to do with this joke, my use of it, or this thread - beyond the fact that you seem to want to bring up Calgary at any possible opportunity. Your 30 years out of date stereotype once again goes to show that most stereotypes really make more fun of the person using it than the intended target (much like the cartoon above).

What, did a Calgarian kill your puppy or something when you were a kid?
Calgary has indeed nothing to do with this joke, however this is a common attitued among Calgarians. Calgary is a very arrogant city full of arrogant people. I've already expressed my opinions on this matter in another thread, so I won't repeat myself any further.

Your point about stereotypes is correct, and I too was making a point with my image of Calgary. Stereotypes suck, and often give people the wrong impression of a place or person. So why continue to use them? Why not instead help to create positive attributes of a place/person?

That is my point.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 11:49 PM
Home of Hyperchange

[QUOTE=Greco Roman;3328940Calgary is a very arrogant city full of arrogant people.

Stereotypes suck, and often give people the wrong impression of a place or person. So why continue to use them? Why not instead help to create positive attributes of a place/person? [/QUOTE]

Thank you.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 11:53 PM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Thank you.

True, but that is my opinion based on having lived there and interracted with it's citizens. It's not like I've never been there and just base my opinion on what I've heard second hand. If it weren't for the snobby attitude of a large number of citizens, and the traffic issues, I would think of Calgary in a totally different light. It is a beatiful city in a beautiful natural setting; you can't take that away from Calgary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan