HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 11:26 PM

Where does the PSU football team play. the pge stadium i assume?

Old Posted Oct 14, 2007, 3:41 AM

Yes, the former Civic Stadium is ...

... it for Portland's sport stadiums for outdoor events like football, soccer, and baseball.

EP

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 3:45 PM

Supporters hope stadium plan leads to big-league ball
Portland Business Journal - by Andy Giegerich
Cathy Cheney | Portland Business Journal

The proposed PGE Park renovation could send its signature tenant into an entirely new facility.

Merritt Paulson, the owner of the Portland Beavers Triple-A baseball team and soccer's Portland Timbers, is mulling changes that could accommodate a Major League Soccer team but force the Beavers to find new digs.

The suggested renovations would convert the stadium into a soccer and football venue exclusively. Paulson said the moves could lead him to explore building a new Beavers stadium in Portland that would hold around 10,000 fans.

Paulson expects to complete a timeline for the efforts later today.

"I think PGE works great as a baseball facility, but the baseball-specific venue is very attractive and would work under the right circumstances," Paulson said.

The Portland Baseball Group, which includes many prominent business leaders, believes the move could buoy its own drive to attract a big-league baseball team. Paulson said he'll seek a site that could hold a larger facility down the road.

"It would make the process of attracting Major League Baseball significantly easier," Paulson said.

Before determining whether he could expand a smaller facility into a $500 million-plus Major League Baseball-quality stadium, Paulson would need to find at least $80 million to renovate PGE Park, purchase an MLS expansion team and build a new Beavers park.

While he's devised no financing possibilities, Paulson said he'll likely seek help from local government sources.

He could also draw on a 2003 state funding bill to offset some of the stadium's expansion costs. The bill would apply the state tax portions of players' and executives' salaries toward stadium construction bonds.

David Logsdon, the city's spectator facilities manager, said staffers will study both the proposed PGE Park renovation and new baseball stadium ideas by the end of the year.
Big-league dreams

Portland's interest in big-league baseball crests every few years. Earlier this decade, former Mayor Vera Katz ordered a stadium site study that explored several possible park locations. State lawmakers then narrowly approved the stadium funding bill in a dramatic late-session vote.

The efforts stalled when Major League officials moved the Montreal Expos to Washington, D.C., in 2005, then briefly re-emerged when Florida Marlins executives visited town in early 2006.

The Marlins stadium lease expires in 2011, said Steve Kanter, president of the Portland Baseball Group. The group is also tracking whether the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, one of the majors' least successful teams attendance-wise, will remain in the Tampa/St. Petersburg, Fla., area.

"There will be a team moving, and hopefully at that point, Portland will be able to persuade the world that we're ready," Kanter said.

Paulson's baseball vision emerged last week during a Portland visit by Major League Soccer Commissioner Don Garber. Garber's league will add four teams over the next four years; Portland is a serious candidate to attract an MLS team in 2011.

But first, PGE Park would require new soccer-friendly seating opposite what's now the first-base line. MLS officials would also want local operators to add more restrooms and locker-room improvements.

Still, any renovations to PGE Park could face resistance from Portland city commissioners who remember the financial troubles that stadium operators Portland Family Entertainment faced after the new facility opened in 2001.

The city remained on the hook for overdue payments as the Pacific Coast League, and eventually new owners, took over the Beavers and Timbers.

Austin Raglione, chief of staff to Mayor Tom Potter, said the meeting did not address a potential new baseball stadium.

Potter, who's lukewarm to a Major League Baseball bid, has yet to consider a taxpayer-aided new facility.

Paulson doesn't believe the previous stadium issues would affect city commissioners' opinions.

"There's nothing but positives going on with the teams right now, and I think people understand that PFE came in under a flawed financing plan from the get-go," he said. "That's not the situation here. I'm investing more for the long term."

The Katz-ordered study sparked debate over the best new stadium sites. The top candidates include the U.S. Post Office site in the Pearl District and the current Portland Public Schools administrative building's property, near the Rose Garden arena.

"It would be great if we could site it as a location that would make sense if we were to ultimately attract a Major League Baseball franchise," said Wally Van Valkenberg, a Stoel Rives LLP managing partner who headed the Oregon Stadium Campaign. "And I'd think Merritt would be interested in that as well because he might be in the franchise's ownership group."

Kanter said the prospects have his team ready to move quickly if, say, the Marlins come calling.

"We're quiet now because no one's moving immediately," he said. "But we remain convinced that someone will move. And I remain in close contact with the Marlins."

agiegerich@bizjournals.com | 503-219-3419
http://portland.bizjournals.com/port...ml?t=printable

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 10:45 PM

I like this David Paulson, he seems to know what he is doing.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 12:40 AM

He's a very different player. Big money and big connections from the New York financial set. Portland historically has been very local yokel. That is good in most respects, but if you want to be in the big leagues you need big league players.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 5:03 PM

Seattle got the MLS expansion franchise so Portland will have to wait. If we had the same system of relegation and promotion the rest of the soccer world has all we'd have to do is win our league and we'd go up to the bigs.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 9:06 AM

Um.... didn't some people say they wanted MLS in Portland?

Thursday, July 31, 2008 - 1:36 PM PDT
Portland Timbers seek MLS status
Portland Business Journal

The owner of the Portland Timbers on Thursday announced plans to apply for a Major League Soccer franchise to play at PGE Park.

"There is no doubt in my mind that Major League Soccer in Portland would both add a tremendous amount to the league and have a phenomenally positive impact on our community and state," said Merritt Paulson, who also owns the Portland Beavers minor league baseball club. "We have the most ardent and authentic soccer fan base in the United States, and Soccer City USA deserves a Major League Soccer team."

The announcement came as MLS on Thursday announced the timeline and application process for the league's next two expansion teams. The 12-year-old league plans to add two clubs by 2011, bringing the total to 18 teams.

MLS set an Oct. 15 application deadline. The league has indicated that an announcement regarding the next two expansion clubs will take place during the fourth quarter of 2008 or the first quarter of 2009, the Timbers said in a news release.

"In the coming months, we look forward to making an exceptionally strong case to both MLS and our community as to why Portland should be designated as one of the next two MLS expansion cities," Paulson said.

In statements during the league's all-star game in Toronto last week, MLS Commissioner Don Garber identified eight prospective expansion markets: Portland, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Montreal, Ottawa, St. Louis, a second team in the New York area, and Vancouver, British Columbia.

The league added Toronto F.C. two years ago and the San Jose Earthquakes this season. Next year it adds Seattle Sounders F.C., followed by a yet-to-be-named Philadelphia franchise in 2010.

The Timbers now play in the first division of the United Soccer Leagues, which is considered the second-tier of U.S. professional soccer, a level below MLS.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 1:21 PM
Ah-choo.

I would go completely nuts if this happened. Best news ever!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 5:00 PM

From an earlier article I got the impression that the league was pushing for St Louis. It might be for balance, but I hope that isn't the case.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 6:54 PM

I wouldn't think there would be as strong a fan base for soccer in St. Louis as in Portland. Though I don't know too much about the city.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 8:09 PM

I'm sure you're right. Following is the article I was referring to.

http://www.oregonlive.com/soccer/ore...610.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 4:34 AM

^that article is kinda a buzzkill, but I'm still hopeful.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2008, 6:05 AM

By the looks of the St. Louis campaign they seem to have a very good chance of landing a team. Their proposal looks a lot more aggressive and better put together than Portlands. So my guess is they get one and its between us and Canada. My feeling is that we'll miss out...again. Its sad but as big of a market as we are there seems to be a general lack of interest amongst the population with regards to getting a pro team. And I guess it doesn't help that there's no big money here either to help lure teams (ie. companies; corporations).

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 7:07 PM

Paulson pushes for Major League Soccer franchise
Portland Business Journal - by Erik Siemers Business Journal staff writer

Merritt Paulson on Wednesday launched a public campaign to build support for a proposed Major League Soccer franchise in Portland.

The pitch includes a planned $75 million in stadium upgrades — $40 million to upgrade PGE Park downtown for the MLS club and $35 million for a new 8,000-seat stadium in the Lents neighborhood for the Portland Beavers AAA baseball club.

Paulson, who owns both the Beavers and the Portland Timbers of the United Soccer League’s top division, would pay the $40 million cost to own the franchise, which would start play in 2011.

He said being the next MLS city could bring “tremendous positive national spotlight to the city of Portland.”

Paulson was joined by City Commissioner Randy Leonard, a supporter of the project who said bringing a ballpark to the Lents neighborhood in Southeast Portland could be a catalyst for economic growth in a part of the city that is struggling.

“It redefines entertainment for Portland,” Leonard said.

What remains unknown is exactly how the stadium projects will be financed.

Paulson’s group is negotiating with the city over financing plans. Leonard said it's possible that the city could back revenue bonds and use revenue from ticket sales to pay off the bonds.

“I’m confident the Portland metro area has a fan base that will fully support buying tickets ... that would be the source of revenue,” he said.

The Lents plan is attractive to Paulson — who would pay rent on the facility — because it’s city-owned.

Details of both projects can be found on two new Web sites launched by Paulson: www.mlstoportland.com and www.betterbeaversballpark.com.

The PGE Park renovation plans wouldn’t add much seat capacity, but would instead reconfigure the shape of the stadium and add amenities. It would go from more of a boomerang-shaped bowl to a horseshoe-shaped one, adding seats and concessions along 18th Street, and a restaurant on the north end of the park. The press room, locker rooms and training facilities would all be upgraded.

While it hasn’t signed off on a financing plan, the Portland City Council has issued its support towards the bid for an MLS franchise.

Mayor Tom Potter last month sent a letter, signed by the entire City Council, to MLS Commissioner Don Garber touting the city’s rich soccer history, its rabid fan base, and its moniker as “Soccer City USA.”

“While many important questions remain and significant work remains to be done, we believe we are off to a positive start and that local efforts to secure MLS in Portland will be successful,” the letter states.

The 12-year-old MLS — which represents the top-tier of professional soccer in the U.S. — plans to add two more clubs by 2011, making for a total of 18. The deadline to apply is Oct. 15, and the league plans to make a decision in early 2009.

The competition is fierce.

During the league’s all-star game in July, Garber identified eight prospective expansion markets: Portland, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Montreal, Ottawa, St. Louis, a second team in the New York area, and Vancouver, British Columbia.

But Paulson believes Portland’s chances are strong. He cites Seattle as reason why.

The Seattle Sounders USL club drew an average of 1,500 fans per game — far less than his Timbers. Despite that, the Sounders have already secured more than 16,000 season tickets for their inaugural MLS season next year.

His plan would also bring benefits to Portland State University, which would continue to play football in PGE Park, and costs comparatively less than other markets that spent more than $100 million on soccer-specific stadiums.

“I’m a bad prognosticator,” Paulson said. “But I wouldn’t be spending this time and energy if we didn’t have a chance.”

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...1/daily15.html

Last edited by 360Rich; Sep 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM. Reason: added bigger pic

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 7:12 PM

Rendering of proposed new Beavers ballpark in Lents.

BETTER BEAVERS BALLPARK:

* Visual of new ballpark (see below)

* Why Lents Park works for baseball?
o Block away from I-205 corridor
o Block away from new public transit light rail stop
o Easy access to Clackamas, Multnomah and Clark counties
o 10 minute drive from downtown Portland
o Catalyst for local development
o Low-impact site

* Alternative site(s) contemplated should Lents ballpark site not prove feasible

from http://www.betterbeaversballpark.com...late6/?page=31

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 7:45 PM

stupid plan.

spend the extra 35 million for the lents stadium on making PGE park good enough for MLS and MLB. portland is growing like crazy, and a baseball team in that part of town could really anchor the neighborhood like wrigley in chicago, etc, etc.

portland is over minor league baseball. we aren't a minor league city anymore.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 3:49 AM

Wouldn't securing the Beavers new stadium postpone any efforts to make a case for PDX as a MLB city?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 5:34 AM

I like the idea for Civic Stadium. I assume PSU football would play there too.

I think Lents is a bad location for the baseball park though. Gateway would make more sense, especially if it could be incorporated into a larger multi-use development where parking could be shared with offices and stores and there would be easier MAX and freeway access. Gateway really needs a catalyst and this could be it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 3:53 PM

I love the MLS portion of the plan, PGE is such a good stadium for soccer (intimate and loud!), and with the upgrades it will be awesome! I'm looking forward to the MLS. The baseball stadium proposal makes this bittersweet however. I would love to see a great stadium close to downtown (my ideal would be south of I-5 along the Willamette (south of OMSI)), but I'll grudgingly support the plan for the MLS/PGE portion.

Timbers game tonight!!

Old Posted Nov 7, 2008, 4:13 AM

NY Times piece on prospect of MLS in Portland

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment