HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 8:04 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehogan View Post
If that's the case maybe it's time to say goodbye to the MC and see the city sell the property to finance more pressing needs.
Memorial Coliseum is tied up in too much politics for it to be torn down until there's a catalyst for the site. A fire? An earthquake? Some grand plan with a compelling purpose?

The MC has the exact opposite of a Goldilocks syndrome. It isn't large enough for many uses, but it isn't small enough for many others. And it's old and outdated. It can be refurbished, but at what cost and for what purpose?

I'd love to see somebody add up how much money has already been spent since the 1990s in trying to find a new use for it.

If it sits long enough, maybe the Blazers will someday tear it down and rebuild the shell to look the same, but have it be energy efficient, and build themselves a new state of the art arena inside, and then we can tear down the Moda Center and repurpose that site. Of course, I'm talking about 20 years from now.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 8:48 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Memorial Coliseum is tied up in too much politics for it to be torn down until there's a catalyst for the site. A fire? An earthquake? Some grand plan with a compelling purpose?

The MC has the exact opposite of a Goldilocks syndrome. It isn't large enough for many uses, but it isn't small enough for many others. And it's old and outdated. It can be refurbished, but at what cost and for what purpose?

I'd love to see somebody add up how much money has already been spent since the 1990s in trying to find a new use for it.

If it sits long enough, maybe the Blazers will someday tear it down and rebuild the shell to look the same, but have it be energy efficient, and build themselves a new state of the art arena inside, and then we can tear down the Moda Center and repurpose that site. Of course, I'm talking about 20 years from now.
I am sticking with the guess that it will sit there until the day comes that the Blazers are looking for a new arena, in which they will tear it down to build a new arena that they can call the new Memorial Coliseum or something like that.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 11:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am sticking with the guess that it will sit there until the day comes that the Blazers are looking for a new arena, in which they will tear it down to build a new arena that they can call the new Memorial Coliseum or something like that.
That's what I been saying as well. The Rose Garden will be 30 years old in less than a decade, my theory is the city and Blazers are just stalling the MC holding spot till they can destroy it and build a new NBA arena..

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 1:56 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
That's a good guess. I think we're stuck with it until either you're proven right or an earthquake brings it down.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 12:32 AM

This is now on the Design Commission agenda for October 22nd:

Quote:
EA 15-214247 DA – PSU Stott Center/Viking Pavillion

Design Advice Request for an existing building renovation of Portland State University’s Peter Stott Center. Proposal is for the modernization and upgrade of approximately 152,000 square feet of area, and includes a new multi-purpose arena with arena seating for 3,000 and an additional 500 seats on arena floor. New exterior materials on the eastern two-thirds of the building include brick, formed metal panels, metal panel fascia, and glazing. The western one-third of the building will remain existing brick, formed metal panels and glazing. No parking is existing or proposed.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 7:11 PM

Drawings [PDF - 9MB].

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 7:45 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Drawings [PDF - 9MB].
Not as flashy as the glass bowl idea that was originally proposed, but it actually looks really good.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 10:39 PM

Memo to the Design Commission.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 5:41 AM

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 8:10 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilfondel View Post
PSU and OHSU plan to build Viking Pavilion, a landmark athletic and academic center

img from Oregonlive.com, source: Portland State University

-----------------------

That's one hell of a renovation!
...sigh.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 1:39 AM

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 2:30 AM

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 7:16 PM

Latest drawings [PDF - 29 MB] and Memo to the Design Commission.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Latest drawings [PDF - 29 MB] and Memo to the Design Commission.
The capacity has dropped to 3000 people. Pretty much the same capacity as a large high school gym. This has now turned into a bait and switch project.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 6:51 AM

Revised Staff Report [PDF], which recommends approval.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Revised Staff Report [PDF], which recommends approval.
Hope the project donors pull their money out. They were promised a 5000 seat arena. Now they are down to 3000 seats. That's a big difference.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 1:36 AM

Nice design. Not quite as cool as the mini glass palace proposal, but well done, and looks like an arena. Much improved over that library looking design.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:09 AM
A before E

I agree, it looks nice, no glass palace or as big as expected but then again the Vikings are no Zags. If they were showing up in the NCAA tournament each year, then I could see pushing for more than this.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 3:54 PM

Quote:
I agree, it looks nice, no glass palace or as big as expected but then again the Vikings are no Zags. If they were showing up in the NCAA tournament each year, then I could see pushing for more than this.
I'm assuming much of the reason they are building this facility is to help elevate PSU basketball to another level. Well what happens if the plan works? Build a new facility in 5 years?

Keep in mind the current gym holds 2000 people, this is not much of an increase.

Very short-sighted. And it also limits the opportunity to rent it for outside shows, concerts and sporting events.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2016, 7:08 PM

DJC reports ($) that the Viking Pavilion was approved by the Design Commission on Thursday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment