HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 12:42 AM

Oden or Durant

Though not exactly related to development, I was curious to know what people on the forum (both Portland and Seattle folks) thought of the upcoming NBA Draft and its prospects for our respective teams. I know growing up in Portland, I loved the Drexler-led Blazers that represented the city with pride and had deep postseason runs, and their moves both in the front office and in the roster have me paying attention again after so many years of the organization throwing away fan support.

So Greg Oden got into Portland today, Durant is coming later in the week. Who would you pick for your team and what impact would that player have? Personally, I love the idea of Oden teaming up with Aldridge and Roy and shipping out Randolph. Anyone else have ideas on the future of the NBA in the Northwest?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 12:55 AM
Future God

Well, first of all, let me say that as a Memphis Grizzlies fan the topic of the 2007 Draft lottery makes me a bit bitter. lol That being said, I can't really figure out why Portland would take Oden.

They are, first of all, in dire need of a consistent SF, which Durant is. And second of all, they already have Pryzbilla, LaFrentz, Magloire, and most importantly, LaMarcus Aldridge who is going to be massive in this league.

The Sonics, on the other hand, are looking like they are stuck with Rashard Lewis because of that whole free agency declaration mix up, and therefore are in no need of a Small Forward. The position they are weakest at is Center, with Johan Petro being the strongest true center they have.

So I ask, why would Portland just pick Oden just because he is expected to be the #1 pick? They're both franchise changing players.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 1:46 AM

blazers may need a SF, but it doesn't have to Durant. I think the kid is a damned good player and will no doubt change a franchise, but its too easy for me to cite examples of forwards (mcgrady, carter, etc.) who play well, put up big numbers, but ultimately don't achieve much with their teams. aside from jordan's bulls team, every title winner in the last few decades has had at least one very good big, if not more.

i particularly like oden from the character aspect, and that he seems like he would be the better fit with who the blazers have now. his D is fantastic, moves great for a big man, and steps up in big games. frankly i dont think too much of magloire or lafrentz as very useful players for us, and it would be much easier for us to trade for a SF with experience than for a center, esp with randolph as a bargaining chip. another argument that could go in favor of blazers taking oden is that it leaves the sonics with durant, making lewis an odd man out...and one potentially considering moving down I-5

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 1:47 AM

double post

Last edited by der Reisender; Jun 20, 2007 at 1:52 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 1:48 AM

I'll put it this way: There will be another Kevin Durant before we see another Greg Oden.

Oden's College coach wason 1080 The Fan today and said Oden is now 100% healthy and will suprise people with his offense. He compares him to the second coming of Tim Duncan. However, Oden is going to be a defensive force for the next decade.

Durant is going to score 20 per from the get-go. But you can't pass up a franchise changing Center. The last decade the teams to win the title had dominating big's.

Also, how will Durant's game translate to the NBA? He's not going to abuse NBA callibur defenders. Take Adam Morrison for example, he scored more PPG than Durant last year (28ppg to 26 ppg) and he's had a tough time so far adjusting to the athletic freaks in the NBA.

Oden is bigger than any Center right now not named Shaq and Yao Ming. Keep in mind, he has the agility, athletic ability and quickness of a 6'7" player. His combine results blew Durant's out of the water while beating Durant in every category tested.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 2:52 AM

Quote:
They are, first of all, in dire need of a consistent SF, which Durant is. And second of all, they already have Pryzbilla, LaFrentz, Magloire, and most importantly, LaMarcus Aldridge who is going to be massive in this league.
the blazers are relatively thin at the center position. Magloire is a free agent, and LaMarcus will likely play his natural position, power forward, rather then center. LaFrentz is a mediocre player with a mediocre contract. Every time I see him I ask myself why he is on this team and then I look at Brandon Roy, and I know his aquisition was justified. I doubt LaFrentz will play much if we draft Oden or Durant. On the other hand the Blazers have several small forwards in Webster Outlaw and Miles. I say draft Oden and trade Zbo for a small forward and a pick. like richard jefferson.
vote for oden or durant here: http://www.nba.com/blazers/odendurant.html

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 2:58 AM
good time not a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
you didn't even mention Brandon R.O.Y., by far their best player.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 3:58 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket II View Post
you didn't even mention Brandon R.O.Y., by far their best player.
I don't think he is their best player YET, but he will be. In anycase, I was just going through the centers that the Blazers have (had in Magloire's case).

I didn't realize that LaMarcus's natural position was PF. If that is the case then if I were Blazers management I would DEFINITELY trade Zbo for a SF, as was already suggested. May main concern was that LaMarcus would end up playing backup and have his growth as a player severely stunted.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 6:43 AM
Well designed mixed use

It's going to be amazing to possibly have two great teams in the NW. Remember when Seattle and Portland played each other and it actually mattered?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 7:09 AM
Future God

I definitely remember. Even though i've never been a resident of the PNW, the Sonics were my favorite childhood team. I still have my old Shawn Kemp jersey to this day.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
I'll put it this way: There will be another Kevin Durant before we see another Greg Oden.
Exactly. They're both great, but a guy like Oden comes along once every 15 years, a guy like Durant comes along every 5 years.

I think Durant will be the more exciting player, but Oden will bring you more championships.

Either way, I'm really looking forward the the revival of the I-5 rivalry from my youth.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 4:38 PM

Quote:
May main concern was that LaMarcus would end up playing backup and have his growth as a player severely stunted.
kind of like jermaine O'neal, we don't want to lose lamarcus too

Quote:
Either way, I'm really looking forward the the revival of the I-5 rivalry from my youth.
too bad the sonics are likely going to move to Oklahoma City or maybe Las Vegas

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 6:08 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
too bad the sonics are likely going to move to Oklahoma City or maybe Las Vegas
God that would suck. Cultural wastland or adult Disneyland? I can't imagine...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 7:30 PM
Karma Police

Who's Oden or Durant?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2007, 8:10 PM

Leaders in LV have said that they don't want the sonics, or any NBA team. I guess they weren't pleased with the NBA after the all-star game.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 5:09 AM

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 3:28 PM

^that couldn't have been taken by you Dougall, hmmm?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2007, 5:37 PM

No I wish, I found it on flickr.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2007, 2:58 AM

not mine mark

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 11:48 PM

It's Oden!!!!

Last edited by PacificNW; Jun 30, 2007 at 12:28 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment