HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:48 PM
Resident Moron

This is not the full blown soccer stadium plan right?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
This is not the full blown soccer stadium plan right?
No. That was hogwash that didn't come from the county.

These are the layouts for the higher level plan:

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:40 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

A midway would be pretty cool.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:44 PM

I really hope they keep the Erwin Center replacement downtown. No one will want to go to shows if they have to drive to the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 9:51 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
I really hope they keep the Erwin Center replacement downtown. No one will want to go to shows if they have to drive to the middle of nowhere.
The new UT arena is going on campus.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:01 PM

The Astros are dropping their affiliation with the RR Express. No word yet on what MLB team would move their AAA affiliate to RR.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...k-express.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:23 PM
World Traveler

I read about that in either KXAN or KVUE. That was a short-lived partnership with the Astros this time around. I think the wonder is if they go back to the Rangers. Anyone have inside info there?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
I read about that in either KXAN or KVUE. That was a short-lived partnership with the Astros this time around. I think the wonder is if they go back to the Rangers. Anyone have inside info there?
It was a pretty ugly exit between the Astros and the Ryans so this isn't a big surprise.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:22 PM
Voice of the Modern World

The Astros just bought the Sugar Land Skeeters, who play in a HOU suburb. That’s the only reason they dropped Round Rock’s team. It probably wasn’t for any other reason.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
The Astros just bought the Sugar Land Skeeters, who play in a HOU suburb. That’s the only reason they dropped Round Rock’s team. It probably wasn’t for any other reason.
Agreed. Express/Dell Diamond have been always attractive to the Rangers and Astros over the years, but I found the Sugarland deal smart and compelling. Despite their independent affiliation til now, Sugarland has seen success over the years and built a fanbase and a unique experience. I think the Astros had taken notice a long while ago. I think COVID moved the needle in this... it was a wise and tactical decision to have a roster ready to call up players in the age of COVID should one or some of the Astros test positive in the upcoming season. Skeeters' Constellation Field and Astros' Minute Maid Park are only half an hour drive apart. Versus 3 hours from Round Rock. So much easier now to call up a player to suit up for the Astros at home or make the team flight for a road trip.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:42 PM

So Michael Dell buying up some of the Spurts ownership is interesting. It would be really cool if he could push them to move some home games to Austin but I'm not sure how doable that is or if that is allowable in their lease with the current arena.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
So Michael Dell buying up some of the Spurts ownership is interesting. It would be really cool if he could push them to move some home games to Austin but I'm not sure how doable that is or if that is allowable in their lease with the current arena.
It wouldn't just be interesting, it would be smart on the part of the Spurs. It could make them into a more regional team and probably help them recruit more people to their fan base. Not that they don't have fans in Austin, but at the moment, they don't feel very much invested in Austin (not to me anyway).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
It wouldn't just be interesting, it would be smart on the part of the Spurs. It could make them into a more regional team and probably help them recruit more people to their fan base. Not that they don't have fans in Austin, but at the moment, they don't feel very much invested in Austin (not to me anyway).
The tough thing is there is a 3-4k difference in seat capacity between Moody and the ATT Center. They would be giving up a lot of ticket revenue but I guess they could charge up the ass to compensate.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:56 PM

Can we have a regional sports team? Are Austin and San Antonio distinctly different places/cultures? I've been wondering about this since Precourt started with Austin FC. I'm not entirely convinced we can be treated as a single region.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
I never hear anyone talk about the Spurs really. You would think more people would be wearing Spurs swag and stuff around town since they're the closest team to us.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Can we have a regional sports team? Are Austin and San Antonio distinctly different places/cultures? I've been wondering about this since Precourt started with Austin FC. I'm not entirely convinced we can be treated as a single region.
Not without regional transportation.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Unlike regions like Minneapolis-St Paul and the SF bay area, the cities are just far enough apart to make them definitely distinct, but loosely linked at the same time. So I think it would pretty much require a team play games in both cities.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 8:34 PM

The XFL is looking to relaunch in 2023. I hope Q2 tries to get a team.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 8:50 PM

2021 Liga MX Champion Cruz Azul will play Austin’s USL team Austin Bold FC at Bold Stadium on Saturday, July 10 at 8 p.m. CT

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/cruz-azul

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 9:33 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The XFL is looking to relaunch in 2023. I hope Q2 tries to get a team.
If I'm not mistaken, The City of Austin will own Q2 in the coming years (they already own the land). So, any team would have to negotiate with Austin FC (who maintains the field) and the city of Austin (for leasing).

Personally, I could care less about the XFL. It will fail for a third time and I'd hate for them to rip up that beautiful field in the meantime (considering the seasons will overlap by a little bit).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin