HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:19 AM

Do we really need another ski resort up there? Oh well. I guess Summit and Wasatch Counties are just destined to become endless sprawl for rich people.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:01 AM

I bet there is a strong chance the new resort will be sold and merge with Deer Valley for a huge chunk of change. Otherwise they are mooching off what Deer Valley established on that side of the mountain. The terrain is pretty mellow, I don’t think that area is favored for the best snow though

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 2:41 AM

Not sure why they're claiming the first newly built full service resort since 1980. Tamarack north of Boise was built around 12 years ago...

Anyway, I agree with Utah_Dave. Knowing the terrain pretty well up there, its only logical that it would merge with Deer Valley.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:14 PM

^^^
Beaver Creek and Deer Valley opened within days of each other back in the early eighties. Beaver Creek was used as the model example as Deer Valley already existed on a very modest scale. Both Beaver Creek and Deer Valley would be considered full-service ski areas because they are a part of an existing village/town area. Of course, in Deer Valley and Mayflower's case that would be Park City.

I guess if Tamarack were built adjoining Sun Valley/and the town of Ketchum it would be considered a full-service ski area.

If they're going to use Park City as the piggyback standard for full service it would make sense that Mayflower is put in a completely different category than Tamarack. Park City is a very high standard to match up to.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 7:09 PM

Inland Port protesting

Does anyone know why there is such a raucous over the Inland Port?

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/8/...oup-protestors
Quote:
Utah Inland Port working group changes meeting site to thwart protesters

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Does anyone know why there is such a raucous over the Inland Port?

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/8/...oup-protestors
There are 3 groups that are protesting the Inland Port.

1st: Environmentalists - They worry about the increase in truck traffic and the negative impact it will have on the air quality. They also worry about possible wetlands and bird migration impacts.

2nd: Tax Watchdogs - Their main complaint is the Port Authority gets to keep any and all property tax value increases within the port area. These increases are generally used to help pay for upkeep around the location of the increase and assist with paying for City services (Fire, Police, Snow Removal, etc.) and Public Schools. This is less of an issue regarding the City services as the SLC Council negotiated with the Port Authority that the Authority will contract the services within SLC Boundaries from SLC directly since it is within the City. This left the impact to the Public Schools and the General Fund for the City. The General Fund impact is the primary reason for the Mayor's lawsuit.

3rd: Overreach - This groups primary protest reason is that the Inland Port and Port Authority was created by the State and took land from an existing City. This group also complains that the State took the project away from the City because of the Politics of the City not matching that of the State. They feel that if SLC was lead by Republicans, the State wouldn't have stepped in to "Do it the right way" as the Legislature stated.

Overall though, I live a few miles away from the Inland Port area and feel that regardless of who controls it, it will be a benefit to the Cities economy and can further attract development downtown.

Also, as the Port Authority can only claim the increase in property taxes, the City will see an even larger increase to the General Fund due to the increase in sales tax due to the transactions and additional workers.

Hopefully this helps.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanFlaneur View Post
Hi All. I've been checking on development in the Salt Lake area via this forum for a LONG time now and thought it was finally time for a first post.

I may have missed a previous post on the development below, but I think it may have flown under the radar, so I'll post a link below(or rather text to copy and paste -- the 'insert link' button on here does some strange things):

https://sslc.com/uploads/PC_Staff_Re...ision_Fina.pdf

This is located at the SW corner of Utopia Ave. and Main Street and includes a ten story mixed-use residential building and a six story mixed use office building with plans for another. The developer is Dakota Pacific and I think it can add some considerable momentum to the development game in the downtown SSL area.

I hope this post works - thanks for reading!

freeimagehosting

This will be immediatelywest of Winco and this new development:

and fits in with their masterplan for downtown SSLC:

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 9:21 PM

Disappointed to see support for the Inland Port on here. It is a classic case of the state screwing over the city and directly contradicts any push to improve air quality.

I have yet to see convincing evidence of its need, or that the economic benefits will outweigh the environmental impact.

Jackie suing the state over it is one of the only good things she's done in her tenure.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:42 AM

Inland port

SLC has every right to be mad about how it went down and being screwed by the State. I’m consider myself to be a solid conservative and I was very disappointed with this huge mess.

As for the actual inland port. Assuming they can plan this right and it’s not just a big money grab, I’m actually for the port. The area around I-80 south to the 201 highway and west of I-215 is pretty much an inland port already. And a lot of those roads are getting jammed up with trucks so the pollution is already there and will continue with or without the port. Hopefully the port can stream line these shipping and transfer stations to make them more efficient and to better take advantage of the air and rail opportunities too. If it wasn’t for the political mess of this I think it was a pretty good plan if it’s implemented right. The pollution is a concern but I can’t say it gets that much worse with the port then without it. I figure it will at to it however but how much really? The key is proper planning and learning from other inland port mistakes and improving on them. If you haven’t been around the 201 highway it’s basically an inland port already in my opinion

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 10:16 AM

Amazon to open 2nd Utah fulfillment center

New facility in West Jordan will be even larger than the newly opened Salt Lake operation

Art Raymond, Deseret News - https://www.deseret.com/utah/2019/8/...er-west-jordan

WEST JORDAN — Just a year after opening its first, and expansive new shipping center near the Salt Lake City International Airport, Amazon announced plans Monday to open another, and even larger, facility in West Jordan.

The company said its new fulfillment center will employ more than 800, adding to the 2,000 current full-time Amazon “associates” working in Utah.

“We’re excited to open a new, state-of-the-art fulfillment center in West Jordan and to continue innovating in a state committed to providing great opportunities for jobs and customer experience,” Alicia Boler Davis, Amazon’s vice president of global customer fulfillment, said in a statement...

...The new facility in West Jordan will be even larger than its first in Utah, “at more than 1 million square feet” and will specialize in “large customer items, such as sports equipment, patio furniture, fishing rods, pet food, kayaks, bicycles, and larger household goods,” according to an Amazon news release. Most of the new employees will be charged with picking, packing and shipping those items.

West Jordan Mayor Jim Riding said his community is “thrilled” with the announcement.

“West Jordan is thrilled to welcome a new Amazon fulfillment center,” Riding said in a statement. “Amazon’s decision to invest here reflects confidence in the city’s business environment and excellent workforce.

“This project, with approximately 800 new jobs, will provide our residents with even greater opportunity to work close to home...

Recently completed Amazon Fullfillment Center near the Salt Lake City International Airport

http://www.laytoncompanies.com/img/p...-slc-900-1.jpg

Last edited by delts145; Aug 23, 2019 at 4:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
There are 3 groups that are protesting the Inland Port.

1st: Environmentalists - They worry about the increase in truck traffic and the negative impact it will have on the air quality. They also worry about possible wetlands and bird migration impacts.
Not just truck traffic, but the port is being built in order to ship Utah coal to China. Transporting coal is very damaging to air quality. "Coal dust released during coal transport can cause severe and potentially deadly respiratory problems."
And then there's the whole fact that we need to stop using fossil fuels.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 7:37 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Not just truck traffic, but the port is being built in order to ship Utah coal to China. Transporting coal is very damaging to air quality. "Coal dust released during coal transport can cause severe and potentially deadly respiratory problems."
And then there's the whole fact that we need to stop using fossil fuels.
Which would be like Utah making a big investment into Wagon Wheel exports. In 1919.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 8:27 PM

Fairbourne Station office building construction in West Valley. Taken today.

Last edited by RC14; Sep 7, 2019 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 3:52 PM

Does anyone know what's going on in the northeast corner of Old Bingham Highway and Bacchus? Whatever it is, it looks huge.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gakidave View Post
Does anyone know what's going on in the northeast corner of Old Bingham Highway and Bacchus? Whatever it is, it looks huge.
Is that were the Amazon warehouse is being built? I heard it was going to be in that area but I am not sure exactly where.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
Is that were the Amazon warehouse is being built? I heard it was going to be in that area but I am not sure exactly where.
I think the Amazon warehouse is going on Old Bingham and the Mountain View Corridor - about a mile down the same road.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 8:30 PM
The Drifter

Drove past the Loveland Aquarium on I-15 and noticed that the U2 plaza arch is being built.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2019, 10:28 PM

That's actually pretty big news. That is quite an iconic arch. There was a nice article about it a few days ago in the Deseret News. I guess there were a lot of stress and weight-bearing modifications that had to be made to the arch before installation. The only description I can think of for this arch is 'Totally Rad'! I think there's going to be a few traffic problems on the 15 for a while around this arch, being that it is so large and also so close to I-15. When they eventually finish with the uber-contemporary structures behind the arch this will have to put The Loveland up there in a world-class category of aquariums.

U2’s former ‘Claw’ stage is finally going up at Utah’s Loveland Aquarium
https://www.deseret.com/entertainmen...eland-aquarium

https://www.atu2.com/files/media/462...law11200px.jpg

Last edited by delts145; Sep 27, 2019 at 5:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:19 PM

Interesting article about the current building boom. However, take a look at the current square footage of office proposed for downtown versus Utah Valley and even Salt Lake Valley. Can we reverse this trend from car-centric, un-urban, un-connected, urban blight creating suburban/ex-urban stand-alone office buildings!!!

https://www.utahbusiness.com/collier...l-real-estate/

4.1 million square feet of office space is under construction and downtown SLC is only about 1/8 of that total! 561 k sf

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Interesting article about the current building boom. However, take a look at the current square footage of office proposed for downtown versus Utah Valley and even Salt Lake Valley. Can we reverse this trend from car-centric, un-urban, un-connected, urban blight creating suburban/ex-urban stand-alone office buildings!!!

https://www.utahbusiness.com/collier...l-real-estate/

4.1 million square feet of office space is under construction and downtown SLC is only about 1/8 of that total! 561 k sf
We know that the tide is shifting back towards downtown. The best part of the article and the graphs is that the CBD numbers is just from a single building (Tower 8).

Outside of Sugar House and West Valley, the other construction projects are in multiple builds on formerly open space. West Valley's 110,715 number is the current building going up in a redevelopment area across from Valley Fair mall.

What is good with the numbers though is that nearly 90% of the SL County projects are near a fixed transit line. The North Utah County projects are the biggest issue though as they are just going up on Spec due to low land costs. As the land costs increase, the number of buildings will decrease.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West