HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 11:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post
Actually, the plant was supposed to be moved to Quebec at some point. The only reason it stayed in Thunder Bay, from what I understand, came as a result of Ontario and Quebec being in a serious feud at the time. This was decades ago prior to Bombardier ownership, but I can't remember when exactly or what precipitated the feud that ultimately saved the plant.

Its definitely a cyclical business. The plant was producing bi-level commuter trains predominantly up until about few years ago, now it can produce commuters, modern subway cars and modern street cars. There has been considerable investment and re-tooling of the plant over the previous 5 years. There's nothing like an idle plant to force the owner to go seriously chasing more business, its just going to take some time.
One word - separation.

When Quebec did the separation thing it really hurt Quebec. Montreal alone would have been much larger than it is. When you are a business and you are unsure of a place, you don't invest there.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 8:02 PM
I am a typical

We also have to consider what the level of need for these vehicles is. Toronto needs transit, but it doesn't have an actual plan so far, just a vision, which Doug Ford is expecting federal Liberal fairies to float in and develop and pay for for him within mere days so that a plant can start making vehicles for lines that won't even be in operation for half a decade. Sure, they need them in the sense that transit options are lacking, but they don't need them in the sense that if we made them and gave them to them, they'd have nowhere to run them.

KW's streetcar is done, Ottawa's is opening soon (and they don't use Bombardier anyway), Toronto's received all the cars for Eglington and the streetcar replacement, SkyTrain's order is done and their next expansion is over a decade away, ION will be extended over the next few years but that's a small order, and on top of all this we've got Conservative/pro-austerity premiers nationwide and a prospective Conservative federal government in October, so honestly there isn't much hope for the plant in getting new work within Canada right now. This just isn't the best time to be a company that manufactures public transit vehicles in Canada in an environment where public transit vehicles can only be manufactured in the jurisdiction in which they're used.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2019, 11:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
We also have to consider what the level of need for these vehicles is. Toronto needs transit, but it doesn't have an actual plan so far, just a vision, which Doug Ford is expecting federal Liberal fairies to float in and develop and pay for for him within mere days so that a plant can start making vehicles for lines that won't even be in operation for half a decade. Sure, they need them in the sense that transit options are lacking, but they don't need them in the sense that if we made them and gave them to them, they'd have nowhere to run them.

KW's streetcar is done, Ottawa's is opening soon (and they don't use Bombardier anyway), Toronto's received all the cars for Eglington and the streetcar replacement, SkyTrain's order is done and their next expansion is over a decade away, ION will be extended over the next few years but that's a small order, and on top of all this we've got Conservative/pro-austerity premiers nationwide and a prospective Conservative federal government in October, so honestly there isn't much hope for the plant in getting new work within Canada right now. This just isn't the best time to be a company that manufactures public transit vehicles in Canada in an environment where public transit vehicles can only be manufactured in the jurisdiction in which they're used.
The West Coast Express in Vancouver hasn't expanded in over 25 years.
Confederation Line Phase 2 is set to begin construction shortly after Phase 1 opens.
Toronto is building more LRT, or so they say.

Right now, we do have projects, but the company should have looked for more projects to continue after one ends.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:11 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Could it also be that municipalities straight up lost faith in Bombardier?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Most likely.
However, we really should be trying to buy Canadian.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 12:22 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Most likely.
However, we really should be trying to buy Canadian.
Heh let Bombardier redo and rebrand itself then. Trains Fièrement Canadiens (Proudly Canadian Trains) will sound good.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Maybe, although Alstom has been a gong show in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Maybe, although Alstom has been a gong show in Ottawa.
Here's an article I found earlier this year. Bombardier had some issues with the Toronto contract, but nothing like this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...port-1.5038832

========

Ludwig Saw Shop on Carrick St. is putting on an addition to their building.

Hearing the former Sleeping Dragon Motel on MacDonnell may have a new owner and may be getting re-developed.

Last edited by TbayON; Jul 15, 2019 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 5:48 PM

If those issues are not exagerated, next winter is going to be a real shit show.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 7:54 PM
Near Generational

Quote:
Originally Posted by TbayON View Post

Hearing the former Sleeping Dragon Motel on MacDonnell may have a new owner and may be getting re-developed.
Into what? Commercial?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Into what? Commercial?
Yup, commercial. Established local business needing more space.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:16 PM

Anybody know what is going into Innova Park?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankp View Post
Anybody know what is going into Innova Park?
Not sure yet... assuming you are talking about the lot at the corner of Premier Way and the Harbour Expressway that the city just sold? It was sold to a numbered Ontario company, no details other than that made public yet (other than the purchase price).

Fedex was supposed to be building in Innova too, however I believe this recent sale is separate of Fedex.

===========

The new hotel proposed for Arthur St. and Hwy. 61 is going before city council Monday night, re-zoning is required. If approved, a 90 room 6 storey Hilton Home2Suites will be constructed on the site.

Work is well underway on the conversion of the former Quality Market location at Golf Links & Oliver into On the Links sports bar.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 6:02 PM

Does anyone know about the forest clearing operation happening on the west side of 11/17 at Pass Lake? Is it just a harvesting operation?

Also are a lot of jersey barriers that have recently arrived in the rock quarry area behind the Flying J at Pass Lake, as well as a few pieces of heavy machinery.

Last question - on 11/17 between the West Shuniah Dump and the abandoned Industrial Park there is an off ramp and on ramp that go nowhere. When I mean nowhere I mean they terminate in bush. They aren't even connected to each other. Was there a purpose to this? There was some work being done in the bush there this summer - soil testing I think - but nothing permanent.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:59 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://www.drydennow.com/local/cand...g-trans-canada

What the heck, TCH twinning west of Kenora is just all-talk-no-action. I see how it is.

11 years...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
https://www.drydennow.com/local/cand...g-trans-canada

What the heck, TCH twinning west of Kenora is just all-talk-no-action. I see how it is.

11 years...
That is how all twinning is.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 12:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
That is how all twinning is.
In that case, Thunder Bay Expressway outside of the city limit would have remained 2-lane through and through though, not the 4-lane here and there that we see today.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 12:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
In that case, Thunder Bay Expressway outside of the city limit would have remained 2-lane through and through though, not the 4-lane here and there that we see today.
When did the original 4 laning begin?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 12:49 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
When did the original 4 laning begin?
I actually forgot...

(I know you disagree with me on this, but) if you want something quick, we need to do P3.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 12:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I actually forgot...

(I know you disagree with me on this, but) if you want something quick, we need to do P3.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_Bay_Expressway
1970s.

Ok, lets do P3s... Still won't get done quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario