HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 3:06 PM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That glass-walled space above York seems like it was tailor-made to score loads of weddings and banquets. The city hasn't seen such a nice new function space in years, possibly decades.

I have to concede that if I were a hotelier, I'd probably be a little pissed about having to collect a tax that is going to pay for a facility that is in direct competition with my business...
I agree, and my complaints about this building aren't specifically it's function but how it could have been taken 1 step further to be a great space 24/7.

As it is, its only useful for conventions or large events, and while that's good when there isn't an event on this will be another dead zone.

I often find myself comparing this building to the new convention centre in Halifax (check it out if you get the chance, amazing building) and how they managed to get so much out of a convention centre building.

That massive blank wall may have been easier to stomach if it had some ground level retail, or something that would be active all week rather than knowing it will be a dark lifeless building most days.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 3:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
But what was the point? It wasn't busy before. So what do we get for our tax dollars, we get to see a few more shitty pontoon boats in the spring?
Come on River don't be so pessimistic, build it and they might come (hope and a prayer) besides the hotel component will help to offset the costs to run it when it gets built in 2027!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post

As it is, its only useful for conventions or large events, and while that's good when there isn't an event on this will be another dead zone.

That massive blank wall may have been easier to stomach if it had some ground level retail, or something that would be active all week rather than knowing it will be a dark lifeless building most days.
Your quite right. I think most people are trying to forget the fact that this expansion was proceeded by a whole city block of the original convention centre, lifeless and dead at grade level. What do designers do on the new expansion, some 35+ years later? The same basic priciple. Kill the block at street level, 3/4 of a city block, lifeless and dead. It's so very winnipeg

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 4:24 PM

^ What's unfortunate is that if anything, the expansion is no better than the original from a street interaction standpoint. In fact it may even be worse... at least the original has plenty of windows to cast light on the sidewalk. The new part is just a wall for the most part.

Given that the CRUs across the street in Lakeview Square and in 363 Broadway are almost totally occupied, you would think that they could have put in one or two along Carlton, just to liven things up a bit?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Isn't the hotel 'tax' the absolutely most appropriate place to get Convention Centre expansion funds from?
No it's explicitly the opposite. In fact when it was first introduced the hotels were guaranteed (obvs not officially) that the tax wouldn't be used for the WCC, their direct competition. And because it's essentially a Crown corp, you bet half that is going to be wasted on admin costs anyway.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ What's unfortunate is that if anything, the expansion is no better than the original from a street interaction standpoint. In fact it may even be worse... at least the original has plenty of windows to cast light on the sidewalk. The new part is just a wall for the most part.
No question, It may be worse, although the new expansion does have some street side access south of york with windows to the interior adding some feeling/light between street and interior.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 5:11 PM

^ I will say this... going up Hargrave this morning and peering inside through the big windows, it certainly does look nice on the interior.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Your quite right. I think most people are trying to forget the fact that this expansion was proceeded by a whole city block of the original convention centre, lifeless and dead at grade level. What do designers do on the new expansion, some 35+ years later? The same basic priciple. Kill the block at street level, 3/4 of a city block, lifeless and dead. It's so very winnipeg
Edmonton between Broadway and York is going to be one highly "pedestrian friendly" block. You have the walled fortress of the convention center on one side and the high cement security fencing on the hydro substation on the other side!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2015, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Edmonton between Broadway and York is going to be one highly "pedestrian friendly" block. You have the walled fortress of the convention center on one side and the high cement security fencing on the hydro substation on the other side!
Thanks for that reminder CB, I've been so focused on the images of the East side for so long I've forgotten about the West Side. No Mans Land..........

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8879...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8882...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Oct 16, 2015, 2:27 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Thanks for that reminder CB, I've been so focused on the images of the East side for so long I've forgotten about the West Side. No Mans Land..........

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8879...8i6656!6m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8882...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Wow.... I wonder how many out of town attendees will attempt to venture out into the wastes around this building. If I saw nothing but grey walls and parking lots I'd probably just bunker down inside the building for the day.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 3:19 PM

I noticed traffic flowing on York beneath the convention centre. First time I've seen that. It was still closed a week or two ago.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I noticed traffic flowing on York beneath the convention centre. First time I've seen that. It was still closed a week or two ago.
They had 1-2 lanes open almost the entire time of construction. I never even saw it closed once and I go there every few weeks.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 4:13 PM

edit: buzzg beat me to it

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 4:18 PM

Ah I see. I've been by a bunch of times over the last couple years and it was always closed.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 4:33 PM

^ I think it may have been only at rush hour, though. York is a key route...

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 6:37 PM

Pretty sure York remained open most of the time except for scheduled evening or weekend work. Traffic flow was very limited though, often down to a single lane. More recently they were doing some extra finishing work and closed both the main entrance off York and the road under.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:32 PM

the glass ball room over York ave looks amaaaazinggggggggg..

definitely adds a new level of vibrancy to the area... also makes it look a lot more appealing and modernized.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:35 PM

downtown is coming along quite swimmingly

with 3 towers under construction
d condos 21 floors
glasshouse condos 19 floors
u of w residence 14 floors

and 2 already complete
alt hotel 18 floors
herritedge landing 29 floors

cant imagine how the dt will look if
sky city condos
true north square proceed

that would be 9 bldgs. not to mention wag expansion, mb museum expansion, and the new mlcc hq bldg.

sky city and true north square would be true game changers.. are dt would be unrecognizable

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilwayne View Post
the glass ball room over York ave looks amaaaazinggggggggg..

definitely adds a new level of vibrancy to the area... also makes it look a lot more appealing and modernized.
agreed!!!!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 8:49 PM

^ I agree. I know I griped a bit about the way the RBCCC expansion looks, but on the whole it's a positive addition to the surroundings and it significantly reduces that ocean of surface parking that stretched from that site all the way around the corner to the southern end of Cityplace.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan