HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 5:28 AM

So, although Goose Island will be needed in mostly its current zoning for the foreseeable future, I have one other complaint besides the Waste Management shed. What the heck happens at the "Greyhound Maintenance Center"? Has anyone ever actually seen highway busses parading in and out of this area? I've never seen a single one. It's just looks like a huge, ungainly, poorly suited, underutilized facility. In fact it's bigger than Freedom Center and yet I can't remember seeing activity there.

Heck, if anyone wants to entertain theories of secret government facilities hiding in plain sight, this would not be a bad one to toy with.

And if they really are fixing bus carburetors here, they sure don't absolutely need this neighborhood to do so; the new (1990s) depot is readily accessible from the near s.w. side.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:08 PM
Urbane observer

After Greyhound buses drop pax at Desplaines & Harrison, they go here to be cleaned and refueled, have light repairs done, change drivers. No different than Amtrak having a yard at 14th & Lumber. It was much busier in the 70s and 80s, when Greyhound had many more routes in and out of Chicago. I think they also did some contract maintenance for other OTR bus operators.

Greyhound isn't oblivious to the value of their center-city holdings across the country. As deregulation, Chinatown buses, and discount airlines have taken away their old business, their real estate has become the main asset of the company—same as Sears.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Yeah, we haven't heard much from CDOT lately. Damen/Elston/Fullerton and the Western viaduct are wrapping up, I'm waiting to see what the next North Side project will be.

The temp bridge on Division bought them some time.

I would agree that 3 lanes should be enough. The bridges should be three lanes as well, with two lanes approaching the intersection at Halsted (and the reverse at Elston) and one lane leading away from those intersections. Make all the lanes wide enough for trucks, and provide barrier protection for bike lanes.
Traffic on division at the bridges is AWFUL, they need to minimally have it 4 lanes + bike lanes at least for the bridges

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 5:15 PM

Ken Griffin is giving $12 million to city for the separation of bike and pedestrian paths on the lakefront - https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...cycles-runners

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
Ken Griffin is giving $12 million to city for the separation of bike and pedestrian paths on the lakefront - https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...cycles-runners
sure would be nice if society was structured in such a way that we didnt need to rely on hedge fund 1%-ers to fund public infrastructure projects (or that wealth wasnt concentrated in the hands of hedge fund managers in the first place)...but im glad its happening

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 7:47 PM
TL;DR

Maybe. I'm just glad this is getting done.

The North LSD project was supposed to do much of this work. I think they are still going to grade-separate each of the intersections where the trail crosses roads.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 11:06 PM

^What's the (putative) target year for the North LSD rebuild? Anyone arguing against it should be forced to walk through the Division Street tunnel every night until it's funded.

Last edited by ChiPsy; Dec 21, 2016 at 11:17 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
An animation showing "Densification of the Chicago Loop from 1870 to Present"
Great find!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 1:28 AM

Tesla is finally opening a show room downtown..more or less. They will be combining the Ugg Store with the Penguin Store at Delaware and Rush. Obviously their 800 N Michigan Ave deal fell thru but glad this one is coming.

No word on whether Ugg and/or Penguin will open elsewhere. I'd guess they do, but who knows.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 4:08 AM

The suburban style South Central Bank sold for $7.4M earlier this month at 160 N Morgan in the West Loop just outside of the Green Line stop there. Anyone know of any plans for this thing?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8851...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The suburban style South Central Bank sold for $7.4M earlier this month at 160 N Morgan in the West Loop just outside of the Green Line stop there. Anyone know of any plans for this thing?

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8851...8i6656!6m1!1e1
That Crain's article that announced Sterling Bay's Union Station bid as well as about eight other proposals mentioned they were planning a residential multifamily for the site.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 5:09 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
sure would be nice if society was structured in such a way that we didnt need to rely on hedge fund 1%-ers to fund public infrastructure projects (or that wealth wasnt concentrated in the hands of hedge fund managers in the first place)...but im glad its happening
All the worse that he's no mere 1%er, he's a .01%er ...

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 5:46 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

146 W Erie

Apparently there are plans for the Erie-Lasalle body shop location - no details, but ...

http://jamesonsir.com/eng/bentham

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 8:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
After Greyhound buses drop pax at Desplaines & Harrison, they go here to be cleaned and refueled, have light repairs done, change drivers. No different than Amtrak having a yard at 14th & Lumber. It was much busier in the 70s and 80s, when Greyhound had many more routes in and out of Chicago. I think they also did some contract maintenance for other OTR bus operators.

Greyhound isn't oblivious to the value of their center-city holdings across the country. As deregulation, Chinatown buses, and discount airlines have taken away their old business, their real estate has become the main asset of the company—same as Sears.
Well then, clearly an NSA facility. They don't need 4 city blocks of space for cleaning, refueling, "light repairs", and the driver to pee. Hmm, you sound like you're reading talking points given you by ...

In any event they hardly need 4 city blocks of space to do that, so it would seem to me they indeed are oblivious to their real estate's value.

By the way, any photos of their original depot at Randolph/Clark? I think I remember big curvy ramps or busses on different levels.

Last edited by denizen467; Dec 22, 2016 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 1:56 PM

Industrial/Warehouse building in Pilsen at 1432 W 21st St (btwn Loomis and Laflin) issued a permit to convert to 99 residential units, parking garage, and 3 commercial spaces. Not that far from the 18th St Pink Line stop. Not much known on it at all.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8542...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 2:13 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Apparently there are plans for the Erie-Lasalle body shop location - no details, but ...

http://jamesonsir.com/eng/bentham
Starting at $1.3 million for 3 bed/ 3 bath?

Well, at least the luxury condo market is back....

Property owners better lock in their upzonings in west River North before that area becomes an entitled NIMBY shit show

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 3:59 PM

The vacant one story building at 3933 North Sheridan (NE corner of Dakin and Sheridan, across from the Sheridan red line station) was demolished this week. Anyone know if anything's going there, or are they just making room for red line construction?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Okee dokee, I'm sure the masses would have gotten together and just decided to spend this money on trail upgrades, they wouldn't have just blown it on cheeseburgers and chochskis or anything...

Or we could have the government make these decisions, because they're demonstrated extremely responsible fiscal management skills.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 4:04 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Industrial/Warehouse building in Pilsen at 1432 W 21st St (btwn Loomis and Laflin) issued a permit to convert to 99 residential units, parking garage, and 3 commercial spaces. Not that far from the 18th St Pink Line stop. Not much known on it at all.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8542...8i6656!6m1!1e1
Wow, and without any fanfare.

See, this is how gentrification quietly proceeds.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
All the worse that he's no mere 1%er, he's a .01%er ...

He's the wealthiest man in the state of Illinois and the 57th wealthiest in the world he's way beyond that...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development