HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:31 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I believe that is industrial land owner by one of the businesses near by.
http://www.winnipeg.ca/CLKDMIS/ViewD...wc/2013/a12397

Judging from that document most of the land between the rail and ferrier is owned by the City, and a bit is owned by some other guy named William Reinsch. West of Ferrier (to McPhillips) is owned by a few different numbered/holding companies together. A strip will be given to them that was originally reserved to extend McGregor in exchange for some land which looks like it will be used to make a lighted intersection between CPT and Ferrier and for some land on the North side to widen Murray Road.

EDIT: Added the murray road bit.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 8:15 PM
What could go wrong?

That document shows that there will likely be no McGregor St extension. The access to the Chief Peguis will be from Ferrier. The proposed opening is for the intersection right of way.

The planning document that showed the future commercial and residential layout only went as far as the McGregor St closing. This area east of McGregor will obviously be developed but not as a part of this proposal.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 8:20 PM

Good to see there's some land set aside for an interchange. Also. McGregor dead ends at Templeton currently, with a number of houses to the north. So there is no opportunity to connect with existing McGregor. So this makes the most sense to me.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 8:38 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by original View Post
So I heard there was an open house about the extension from Main to McPhillips today. Anyone attend?

I heard some pretty typical things like, more at-grade light intersections along the typical no flyovers, interchanges or any kind of bridges.
Just to add, I just talked to the manager of engineering at Public Works and he said no open house took place...

Quote:
Mr. Snyder, If an open house was held to discuss the matter I can assure you that it was not put on or attended by City of Winnipeg staffs. The project is in its infancy. The first step will be to hire a consultant to conduct a preliminary engineering study. We hope to do that by June 2014.

Lester P. Deane, P.Eng.
Manager of Engineering
Public Works
City of Winnipeg.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 4:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Good to see there's some land set aside for an interchange. Also. McGregor dead ends at Templeton currently, with a number of houses to the north. So there is no opportunity to connect with existing McGregor. So this makes the most sense to me.
With land set aside already it looks like it would be pretty easy to connect McGregor to Ferrier as the lone crossing of the CPT between Main and McPhillips, could be exactly like the Rothesay crossing. Ideally the crossing would be under the CPT.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
As for interchanges, I think it would make sense if there were diamond interchanges for the long term. Perhaps a flyover diamond interchange on Main St, Henderson Hwy flying over CPT as a diamond interchange, along with Gateway, and an interchange of some sort for CPT and Lagimodiere.
Add McPhillips, Pipeline and Route 90 to the list of ideal interchanges/fly-overs. It also seems Leila and CPT will ultimately connect at some point east of Route 90 rather than having both Leila and CPT intersect with Route 90, at least based on where Leila is currently ending and the direction it is routing.

In terms of a possible order, Route 90 and McPhillips are likely at the top of the list as there is potential to build those with minimal rerouting required. Lag is far down the list as it would need the east extension to move beyond the future concept stage in terms of planning and would likely be behind the Lag/Perimeter and Lag/Regent interchanges in terms of money. As for Gateway, I doubt that will ever happen simply because if there was even a remote thought of doing it anytime soon it would have been part of the initial build.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:24 PM

If you zoom in enough in google maps (to one of the five most zoomed in levels) you can see exactly what route CPT is planned to take.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Add McPhillips, Pipeline and Route 90 to the list of ideal interchanges/fly-overs. It also seems Leila and CPT will ultimately connect at some point east of Route 90 rather than having both Leila and CPT intersect with Route 90, at least based on where Leila is currently ending and the direction it is routing.

In terms of a possible order, Route 90 and McPhillips are likely at the top of the list as there is potential to build those with minimal rerouting required. Lag is far down the list as it would need the east extension to move beyond the future concept stage in terms of planning and would likely be behind the Lag/Perimeter and Lag/Regent interchanges in terms of money. As for Gateway, I doubt that will ever happen simply because if there was even a remote thought of doing it anytime soon it would have been part of the initial build.
Does anybody really believe any of these interchanges will happen anyway? It's blatantly obvious that traffic interchanges are nowhere to be found on this city's list of priorities.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:51 PM

Dare to dream Reignman!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:02 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Does anybody really believe any of these interchanges will happen anyway? It's blatantly obvious that traffic interchanges are nowhere to be found on this city's list of priorities.
Yeah, I highly doubt any of these interchanges will ever happen. It's like pulling teeth with the city's planning department for the vision of the future, or lack thereof.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 6:38 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Yeah, I highly doubt any of these interchanges will ever happen. It's like pulling teeth with the city's planning department for the vision of the future, or lack thereof.
It's not the planning department -- the planning department is good, it's the direction they get. The direction is to do things as cheaply as possible. This comes from people like Scott Fielding and Russ Wyatt, who think that the less they spend the more they save. They can't see past their noses, never mind the election term.

This is why you see so many people leave the planning department so quickly. I hope Braden Smith can make keep his head up while all the shit tumbles around him.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 11:11 PM

Its not the planning department, they have land banked for future projects, the problem is the city does not have the money to implement them.

This year's Molson / Concordia twinning project has to be scaled back somewhat as the tenders came in over budget.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Its not the planning department, they have land banked for future projects, the problem is the city does not have the money to implement them.

This year's Molson / Concordia twinning project has to be scaled back somewhat as the tenders came in over budget.
I call BS on the city doesn't have the money argument. Tired of hearing from the city how broke they are, no money for this, no money for that. This city isn't rolling in cash but we are not exactly in the poorhouse either. Isn't it funny how somehow they come up with all that money to pay for the police HQ cost overruns? How many diamond interchanges could have been built with that money?

Plain and simple, city council does not deem proper infrastructure a priority. I am sick and tired of settling for the junk this city throws at us over and over again.

Last edited by Reignman; Feb 9, 2014 at 6:01 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Of the potential CPT interchanges I think CPT/CCW@Route 90 has the highest chance. It is a critical intersection for CentrePort and CPT west of Route 90 is actually CCW and a provincial highway.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 1:31 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Of the potential CPT interchanges I think CPT/CCW@Route 90 has the highest chance. It is a critical intersection for CentrePort and CPT west of Route 90 is actually CCW and a provincial highway.
It does have the highest chance, but keep in mind that they also want to throw in the extension of Highway 6 in that mix, to terminate within this highly potential interchange as well.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 4:24 AM

Quote:
It does have the highest chance, but keep in mind that they also want to throw in the extension of Highway 6 in that mix, to terminate within this highly potential interchange as well.
Its also something they can pitch to the Feds for funding as its significant to Centreport, which itself is "significant to the national economy."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 3:17 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
I call BS on the city doesn't have the money argument. Tired of hearing from the city how broke they are, no money for this, no money for that. This city isn't rolling in cash but we are not exactly in the poorhouse either. Isn't it funny how somehow they come up with all that money to pay for the police HQ cost overruns? How many diamond interchanges could have been built with that money?

Plain and simple, city council does not deem proper infrastructure a priority. I am sick and tired of settling for the junk this city throws at us over and over again.
Granted, not all of this has to do with the police HQ overages, but according to the 2014 capital budget the City will be using $50.1MM of debt to fund their capital projects... And they plan to finance through debt another $750MM through the next 5 years following. So yes, our city doesn't have money.

And just for fun... Here's a lovely picture for everyone.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 3:38 PM

Quote:
The plan seemed to be the build a roughly north/south extension road to connect Sturgeon with Highway 6 well west of Route 90.

The plan is for CPT to meet Route 90 north of Inkster. CCW will then continue from where it merges is Inkster in a roughly north-east direction until in crosses Route 90 and connects with CPT. The information I had seen is CPT from Main to Route 90 is a City of Winnipeg road and CCW west of Route 90 is a provincial highway.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 5:34 PM

Highway 6 will be extended to connect at the interchange location of CCW/Inskter/CPT or whatever it will be. It's another one of them long term projects.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Highway 6 will be extended to connect at the interchange location of CCW/Inskter/CPT or whatever it will be. It's another one of them long term projects.
Having seen the build out of CCW including rerouting Sturgeon to the west, the plan would seem to be to extend Sturgeon across Inkster to tie into Highway 6. The Highway 6/Sturgeon crossing with CCW will likely remain the current at-grade signaled crossing for the rest of our lifetimes.

Highway 6 at the Perimeter though as part of this extension may see a full interchange build.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan