HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 2:12 PM

I'm quite impressed with the glass used for this building. 1 S Halsted is definitely gonna stand out, as our skyline grows west

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 5:54 PM

This is how the glass should have looked on that Related shit box on LSD. High contrast, this will look great when completed.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 8:46 PM

I agree 100% Related one is shit. Any thoughts on the Power buildings ?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2017, 10:27 PM
1st Ward

Agree on the glass, looks real sharp! This building will really stand out along the Kennedy once complete.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 12:29 PM

Dec 25

The podium is going to be a beast - fingers crossed on how they finish it.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2017, 4:54 PM

This is going to be a very handsome building. Kudos to anyone going out in the bitter cold to take advantage of the clear air and sunshine!

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 4:27 AM

Nice glass...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 5:57 AM

12/29/17

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:28 AM

Nice pictures Bvic and Harry. This one is going to be a beauty. I'm interested how that color layered glass will look at night with the lights on.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 9:36 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Streets and san need to get with it and clean up those grass/tree areas along the expressway. I know it's a last priority amongst other agendas, but....i would love for them to build some planters along the drive exits or nicely designed brick layerd designs. Just something.

Oh, and repaint all those red guardrails the same maroon color as the river bridges.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:27 PM
BANNED

Omg srsly? wtfc. how about making sure the overpasses don't collapse and that the subway isn't overcrowded?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 10:16 PM
1st Ward

^ If IDOT could do anything to improve the aesthetics of the Kennedy, its replace that garbage cladding on the bridges that are rusting away. They look absolutely atrocious. Nothing will be done with those for a long long time anyhow, too many necessary projects and not enough money.

I am really falling in love with that glass. This building is going to be gorgeous! Looks like just about halfway up if I'm not mistaken?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:27 PM
You had me at herro...

^ what drives me crazy is that cladding started really rusting IMMEDIATLY after they were all installed. They did one bridge a year or so and they never fixed the problem over multiple years. By the time they had the 6-7 bridges done the first one they did looked like it had been put up decades ago and was rusting to shit.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
^ what drives me crazy is that cladding started really rusting IMMEDIATLY after they were all installed. They did one bridge a year or so and they never fixed the problem over multiple years. By the time they had the 6-7 bridges done the first one they did looked like it had been put up decades ago and was rusting to shit.
That was done for the '96' democratic convention I believe.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
That's 21 (almost 22) YEARS AGO!!!!!! Seriously, I am old as dirt.

The idea that the Kennedy is lined with highrises still causes me to shake my head in wonder. If you had told me when I moved here 28 years ago (as a young adult) that there would be tall buildings there, I would have asked what you were smoking.

Loving the shape of this building in relation to its neighbors.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 4:46 PM

Forget re-painting the overpasses. It's time to start decking over them completely.

Here's a question for the group - which onramps/exits to and from the Kennedy need to go? It's crazy that there's one every block, and of course incompatible with its future use as a park.

It's also a shame that nothing is being done to make the building frontage facing the Kennedy nicer for this eventuality.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:12 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
It's also a shame that nothing is being done to make the building frontage facing the Kennedy nicer for this eventuality.
Unfortunately, it doesn't make much sense for building developers today to prepare for something that might be decades down the pipeline (when considering the financial state of Illinois, as well as the federal government considering what this tax reform will do to the national debt).

People aren't forward thinking enough to prepare for next week, let alone a generation from now.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:15 PM

Honestly i am surprised some of the podiums do not have ad space on them facing the highway there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 8:22 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
I don't think they are that old. I remember them being installed in the early to mid 2000's, when they did some work on that stretch of the Kennedy. They removed several left hand side on-ramps, as well as added the red railings with the stars from the Chicago flag in the metalwork.

I remember with some fondness the 300-500 feet given for cars to either merge or die when getting on 90/94. They were particularly rough during rush hour.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 9:24 PM

I remember with some fondness the 300-500 feet given for cars to either merge or die when getting on 90/94. They were particularly rough during rush hour.[/QUOTE]

Merge or Die, I remember those days.

It was like 2005 or 2006 that the center ramps to both Washington and Monroe were removed. I think everybody appreciates the additional distance given to merge from the ramps that still exist.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive