HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 2:51 PM

So it's exactly what we expected from team RAMrod. No surprises here. I would prefer another style but if we are gonna have more pomo towers in Chitown I am happy that it's Stern and not more LaGrange.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
I'm interested to see more of the eastern facade. In all honestly, it looks like there are multiple setbacks on the east which I really appreciate. Developers here always seem to go for maximum ROI (who could blame them), setbacks seem to be the antithesis of this. So it's nice to at least see a rendering of design that isn't blatantly a pocket liner. I dunno, I kinda like it. I'm sure the materials will suck and enthusiasm will wane, but it's a nice break from Streeterville's tried and true strait up and down blue/green glass box. I agree that if lit well at night, will be quite pleasant.
I was just thinking this...looks like 4 decent setbacks looking from the east..could be interesting to see from LSD, especially if lit well. You read my mind..scary.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:20 PM

should be a great building with nice materials and i agree with others praising the change of style for the immediate neighbhorhood.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 3:58 PM

500 N LSD is 465'
North Pier Apartments is 581'
This looks like it's around 700'

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:21 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

This thread is missing something

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:24 PM

Thumbs down

No please, no! Not another limestone from Stern! Go back to the 20th Century, please. That's the modern area of Chicago, good way to ruin it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Thumbs up

I think the design is okay. I'm a fan of Stern, even if a lot of his designs look like 1920/30's. I just like that style of architecture, and the idea that he is trying to incorporate it in a world where glass is excessive.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:41 PM

Not surprised at all. My expectation for this design was rock-bottom. As others have said, decent materials and below grade parking will at least make this tower tolerable.

As for being a skyline ruiner? Lawl! It barely breaks the current plateau as presented (and that's before our wonderful Aldertard inevitably fucks with it).

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:41 PM

Boring......

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:03 PM

I like it!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:06 PM
DENNAB

Good to see Chi Town back on track

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:15 PM
you know where I'll be

If Stern is actually at the meeting, and they take public comment, everybody with half decent taste in design and not legally blind should go down and verbally assail this project, as well as him and especially his acute absence of anything resembling talent or good judgment. That would be hilarious to have a a public outcry against the atrocious style and quality of this design, and criticism of him and Related for purveying this puke. Nothing would please me more than to embarass this hack, and Curt Bailey and company as well....

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:16 PM
BANNED

Back on track? More like derailed... backwards... by about twenty five years...

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
If Stern is actually at the meeting, and they take public comment, everybody with half decent taste in design and not legally blind should go down and verbally assail this project, as well as him and especially his acute absence of anything resembling talent or good judgment. That would be hilarious to have a a public outcry against the atrocious style and quality of this design, and criticism of him and Related for purveying this puke. Nothing would please me more than to embarass this hack, and Curt Bailey and company as well....
I'm down. This kind of shit has gone on for too long. The countless number of SHIT being built north of the river needs. to. end.

I was hoping we'd weathered the worst of it with AMLI or that Lincoln Park pile of shit and it was slowly getting better...

Guess not.

It's fucking 2014 for god's sake!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:20 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post

As for being a skyline ruiner? Lawl! It barely breaks the current plateau as presented (and that's before our wonderful Aldertard inevitably fucks with it).

Don't think you're right here....we'll get an actual height attached to this rendering soon enough, but River East Center is tallest in South Streeterville at around 645' or so. I bet this comes out in the 730-750', so it will definitely rise everything else and be a sad focal point of this part of the skyline......

In this neighborhood, at least we have 545 N McClurg and Optima II right around te corner to look forward to.........further north, we have the NW's biomedical research building, the design of which is quite nice - I only wish it were going up all at once instead of phased (Phase II is quite tall - although the design is hardly 'final' at this point.....to me the initial renderings made it look to be well over 700'.....perhaps even closer to 800' than 700'......).....

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:26 PM

I think it looks fine honestly. nothing amazing, but nothing horrid either. Chicago doesn't have much of this style of architecture in this area, and if it increases the architectural diversity of the city, I'm all for it.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:29 PM

I like the height but not the beige color. Not another beige building

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Chicago doesn't have much of this style of architecture in this area, and if it increases the architectural diversity of the city, I'm all for it.
I'll take quality over diversity everyday, all day. And besides, we don't need diversity in architecture; we need only good, high quality design and nothing less. And we especially don't need MORE postmodern horse manure polluting our city's landscape.

EDIT

And what do you mean we don't "have much of this style of architecture in this area"???!! Are you fucking kidding me? How about 900 N Michigan? One of the worst buildings in the city. Or that piece of shit on LSD, just east of the museum. Or those horrid apartments on the river just to the south? Or the building just down the street on Grand and LSD? Or the NBC tower? Or the god damn Ritz?! Jesus man... the list of Pomo trash between the river and North is fucking endless.

Last edited by Tom Servo; Jul 18, 2014 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind field View Post
I like it!
I'm kind of with you here.
If it looks like AMLI because of materials I would be a little upset, but if it looks like a building out of 1930's NY, that would be great.

I think the setbacks, and overall design are pretty decent.

Based off his past work, we could get something like this, which is kind of great..

I'm expecting an onslaught of criticism for my views though.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 6:59 PM
devout Pizzatarian

To the other chicago mods:

Whoever made this thread, I think it was premature to add 800' to the title of this thread. This really does look closer to 700' upon closer examination.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive