HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 18, 2005, 10:21 PM

Nice photos, I hope 1 day I will visit this city in few years after the construction of Burj Dubai !!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2005, 10:23 PM

I agree, if the diameter is close to 100m then that's over three hundred feet. The Twins footprints were only 200ft or so. I think the base is plenty big.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2005, 2:04 AM

It will be no time at all and we'll see 100 floors on top of this thing!!!!:nuts:

Old Posted Jan 20, 2005, 3:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

If you look at Building@HK's second photo and think about simple two point perspective rules with lines converging at two points on (actually beyond) the horizon, then you can see that that foundation for Burj Dubai is about as wide as the space between the walled roadway on the right side of the photo and the farthest right 10-story "tower" of that white residential complex.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2005, 8:51 PM

Holy **** OMG!!!! That foundation plate is huge! Yeah this is the real proof they are going to built this MF!!! GREAT!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2005, 6:27 AM
Building.master

Totally nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The base is just as wide as a highrise...
Thakes your shit out, isn't it... This will really be the WTB

Just amazing!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2005, 7:08 AM
The True Avatar

Re: BY BUILDING@hk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_UAE

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
I could not agree more. That second pic is fabulous!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2005, 1:28 PM
Build High-the Pixies

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee
That looks like the entire footprint, if you look at the plans Aboveday posted. Look closely at the triangular section of rebar in the center. It matches the plans pretty closely. Also, notice the second concrete slab to the upper right. That looks like a slab for an ancillary building, so the "core" slab can't grow too much.

Personally, I think it looks pretty big. Picture the building going up that wide. It will be massive.

I remember a forumer not too long ago saying that the lake around BD had been dug and filled in already, but I don't see any water. The renderings show water pretty close to the structure.

Regardless, those are fantastic pics, and this will be exciting to watch!!
Tha lake is to the right of the burj site and behind the access road comming in from rabat road. down the raod is the sales office for the residences etc and next to them further right is the emirates mall (worlds largest) which has 8 cranes up at the moment

Old Posted Jan 23, 2005, 9:16 PM

Why are they building a moat around BD?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2005, 2:20 AM
I Am A Golden God

^for the effect. I don't know if I like that, though. This isn't really being built in an urban fabric. It's just being built off of a road intersection on a huge area, most of which will be empty land permanently. It's kind of like building in a suburban setting. Odd.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2005, 3:10 AM
Time in the Quantum Foam

^^^ check out the plans car-f-01...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2005, 7:22 PM
I Am A Golden God

^I did. It still seems a lot like a suburban mindset in its' development. It isn't a natural city grid. It's limited access into it from either street lining the area.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2005, 3:12 AM

Just one question, if the range of the building does go up to 950m, wouldn't they say just go for the 1km mark...and be the first ones to it?

"False hope is sometimes better then no hope at all"

"Well kids, you tried and failed miserably. The lesson here is---never try."
- Homer Simpson

Old Posted Jan 27, 2005, 6:36 AM
BANNED

^

Yes tu18badger,

You would think that. I feel if they go for 1000m then they will be the first to do it, no matter what the other would be competitors try to do.

If they go for 950m and the competition down the road beats them with 1km, they would have blown it after all that effort. Not because the other guy surpassed them in height, but because they were beaten with the mythical 1km mark by only 50 measly meters.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2005, 11:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak01
^for the effect. I don't know if I like that, though. This isn't really being built in an urban fabric. It's just being built off of a road intersection on a huge area, most of which will be empty land permanently. It's kind of like building in a suburban setting. Odd.
The area looks empty now, but it won't remain empty land permanently. There're a bunch of low-rises and highrises going up as part of the Dubai International Financial Centre in part of that desert you see in the pic. The world's largest mall is going up in the area as well, as well as 30 other highrises as part of the Burj Dubai complex, and an artificial lake. The area behind them will have more than 100 highrises as part of the Business Bay project.

The sand you see in the picture will certainly not be there anymore by the year 2008.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2005, 1:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raraavis
BD seems to be a lot further along then the Freedom Tower is. I guess Freedom Tower will never get to be the tallest even temporarily.
It always amazes me when people jump to that conclusion, especially considering the Freedom Tower is basically 70 floors of construction topped by a tower...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2005, 1:13 AM

See what happens when you propose a WTB with only 70 some-odd floors and a parking garage on top? Take that Free-Cum Tower!!!!!

Wisdom is what's left after you've ran out of personal opinions.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2005, 4:58 AM

^WTF?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2005, 5:59 AM
Superscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamarrw3
See what happens when you propose a WTB with only 70 some-odd floors and a parking garage on top? Take that Free-Cum Tower!!!!!

NOT ONLY WAS THAT RUDE AND UNCALLED FOr, BUT IT WAS DISGUSTING AS WELL.....KEEP IT OUT OF THIS THREAD AND THIS FORUM..

Old Posted Feb 9, 2005, 9:07 AM

Sorry, that was rude and uncalled for. Perhaps I should use more tact next time. Won't happen again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive