HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 29, 2021, 7:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I honestly believe the NHL will do something drastic, like revert to the divisional format of 2020-21, considering cross-border games with become a big problem for the remainder of the season.

Expect the NHL to announce an "all-Canadian" Division for the remainder of the year. It may be the only way to salvage the season.
Or NHL teams get exemptions, don’t worry NHL players are carefully monitored more than anyone else!

Anyone really sad to see Maurice go, guy has been an overrated coach from day one, his gift of gab kept in the league years longer than he should, mediocrity is what you got with him, never good enough to get teams to the next level!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Or NHL teams get exemptions, don’t worry NHL players are carefully monitored more than anyone else!
I really doubt it. Just by hearing all the stories of the way the World Junior players were not monitored, and had to share hotels with locals, including a wedding party in Red Deer leads me to believe the same likely can be said of NHL players, considering they are professional, and not in some kind of International tournament.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 3:54 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
I really doubt it. Just by hearing all the stories of the way the World Junior players were not monitored, and had to share hotels with locals, including a wedding party in Red Deer leads me to believe the same likely can be said of NHL players, considering they are professional, and not in some kind of International tournament.
Or every NHLer is double dosed and we learn to get on with life. Zero COVID is a unicorn, it’s endemic, get over it
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Or every NHLer is double dosed and we learn to get on with life. Zero COVID is a unicorn, it’s endemic, get over it
Last time I checked the COVID cases in the United States were at 500,000/day, almost double what they were at their peak in January 2021. In Canada, COVID cases are over 30,000/day and rising, almost double what it was here at it's peak (April 2021). This time children are getting hit with COVID at an exponentially higher rate than ever before. I sure hope you are not a parent. I guess you ahve never heard of Long COVID, or the fact that most of the population under the age of 18 is not vaccinated.

They said the same about the Spanish Influenza, the last time a Worldwide influenza pandemic occurred. Yet it died out. The population today has a completely different mindset. People were not entitled babies in 1918. One hundred years later, a significant proportion of North America are entitled brats, who can't be bothered to wear a freaking mask, and complain about their "rights" being violated.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Jan 26, 2022 at 2:58 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2021, 2:17 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Last time I checked the COVID cases in the United States were at 500,000/day, almost double what they were at their peak in January 2021. In Canada, COVID cases are over 30,000/day and rising, almost double what it was here at it's peak (April 2021). This time children are getting hit with COVID at an exponentially higher rate than ever before. I sure hope you are not a parent. I guess you ahve never heard of Long COVID, or the fact that most of the population under the age of 18 is not vaccinated.

They said the same about the Spanish Influenza, the last time a Worldwide influenza pandemic occurred. Yet it died out. The population today has a completely different mindset. People were not entitled babies in 1918. One hundred years later, a significant proportion of North America are entitled brats, who can't be bothered to wear a freaking mask, and complain about their "rights" being violated.

Then again, why should I be surprised? People of your background don't have the best track record of dealing with COVID. Just look at Steinbach and Winkler....
You know nothing about me. Plus you didn’t really address my point.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 31, 2021, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Can't get over it. Not with our limited hospital beds and ICUs thanks to cutbacks. If people went about business as usual with no restrictions or masks, Manitoba will be back to begging other provinces to take patients with all the beds being filled up here, just like earlier this year.

With all the double-vaxxed and people who have received booster shots, this variant appears to be less severe but more transmissible than previous versions. As time passes, and more people are vaccinated/had the virus and COVID eventually mutates into something likely less severe, we will likely only have to deal with progressively milder to no restrictions...even with the ignorant among us who won't get the shot (those with compromised immune systems excluded of course).

You will see this happen as 2022 progresses.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:03 AM

I would seriously consider getting rid of Scheifele and Wheeler on the off-season. Scheifele is now expendable, with PLD taking a run at the #1C position. Perfetti is going to be a stud, so he can slide in at #2C.

Trade Scheifele while is still has value, with his cap friendly salary. Wheeler has negative trade value, so I suppose the Jets can retain a percentage of his salary. Ehlers-PLD-Connor are going to be the top line.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 12:47 PM

This is Dubois' last year under contract... will he re-up in Winnipeg? The Jets might need to keep Scheifele if Dubois decides to try his luck on the market.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
This is Dubois' last year under contract... will he re-up in Winnipeg? The Jets might need to keep Scheifele if Dubois decides to try his luck on the market.
Are the Jets are at the "blow it up and start over" phase? Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they were, but after having a few years in the playoffs I think it would be difficult for the team to maintain much more than core fan support during a 4-5 year draft & develop rebuild.

I suppose fan support would depend on who the Jets can hire as head coach. If they get a proven winner who can show some promising results early, then I think the fans will give them the time they need. If not? The Jets could become the Vancouver Canucks 2.0; a team with a lengthy period of struggling after a tantalizing stretch of playoff success (without the riots, of course).

Just IMO of course.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 2:44 PM

Dubois is still an RFA so has no choice. Could go to arbitration I suppose. But I feel like he's much better than last year.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:00 PM

Imo just give Dubois his 8/$64 and call it a day Dubois, Scheif, Perfetti is an amazing trio of centres to build around.

We should trade our expiring as like Copp and Stastny for picks tho. I wouldn’t mind if we shipped off one of our d-man as well like Dillon so Heinola can finally get some playing time.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Are the Jets are at the "blow it up and start over" phase? Personally I wouldn't be surprised if they were, but after having a few years in the playoffs I think it would be difficult for the team to maintain much more than core fan support during a 4-5 year draft & develop rebuild.

I suppose fan support would depend on who the Jets can hire as head coach. If they get a proven winner who can show some promising results early, then I think the fans will give them the time they need. If not? The Jets could become the Vancouver Canucks 2.0; a team with a lengthy period of struggling after a tantalizing stretch of playoff success (without the riots, of course).

Just IMO of course.
Unfortunately the Jets have taken some very hard hits over the last couple of years that might tip the balance in favour of burning it all down. Losing Little, losing Buff, a dropoff in Scheif's performance... all of those things have taken a toll. At this point it feels like Hellebuyck is the only thing standing between the Jets and being a lottery team, although that could change as the young prospects continue to mature and develop.

I get that fans wouldn't be crazy about the tough slogging through a rebuild process, but is it any better to be perennially spinning your wheels and struggling to make the playoffs before the inevitable first round exit? I don't know. Although I guess it's easy for me to say since I don't pay for a season ticket share anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Dubois is still an RFA so has no choice. Could go to arbitration I suppose. But I feel like he's much better than last year.
I didn't realize the RFA thing... OK, so then in that case it makes sense to build around him. He has pretty well become the team's #1 C already. As exciting as Laine was to watch, with Scheif's seeming stagnation it seems as though Dubois fills a bigger hole on the team than Laine would have right now. That ended up working out pretty well for the Jets.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:09 PM

Next season will be Dubois 7th. So if he signs a 1 year deal, he can go UFA after that. It'll be in the Jets interest to sign him long term this summer. I firmly believe he'll be our 1C in the near future. He's not better than Scheifele, yet.

The Laine trade I feel like worked out well for both teams. Roslovic is playing third line, go figure haha

I don't think it gets blown up yet. There's 2 more years on the current cores contracts.

Need to blow up the coaching staff this summer.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:23 PM

I get the impression that Doob is generally pleased here. He seems like a strong personality and given that he has kind of become top dog up the middle, I don't think he will run into problems with with the Scheifele-Wheeler dynamic as some have. Hopefully that bodes well when it comes to renewal time?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
We should trade our expiring as like Copp and Stastny for picks tho.
Considering both Copp and Stastny are UFA at the end of the season, outside of a rental trade at the deadline (ie the Jets are giving up on the playoffs) no one is going to trade for them.

In terms of PLD, he has fairly openly talked about how important it is for him to be close to his parents and his sister. With dad being on the Moose coaching roster and his mom living in Winnipeg it is clear this is where he would like to stay. Pretty sure his sister is (was?) living here too.

Also got a feeling both Copp and Stastny are back with the Jets again next season. Copp is a reasonable depth forward and worth keeping unless another team is offering him crazy money. In terms of Statsny, he is towards the end of his career and could be willing to take a lower salary and be a utility/depth player again.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:15 PM

I feel like Copp will end up in Detroit.

He's been to arbitration 2 or 3 times now with Winnipeg. Seems like he's on the outs.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2022, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Imo just give Dubois his 8/$64 and call it a day Dubois, Scheif, Perfetti is an amazing trio of centres to build around.

We should trade our expiring as like Copp and Stastny for picks tho. I wouldn’t mind if we shipped off one of our d-man as well like Dillon so Heinola can finally get some playing time.
Agreed re: the centres.

Seems the org is strictly sticking to this draft and develop. They're giving Samberg the opportunity now, because he's been around for a while. They need to make room. Stanley could be good trade bait. I'm not sold on him. Has good size of course. But meh otherwise IMO.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I have a good feeling he will sign, especially if he is promised that Scheifele will be moved, and PLD will be the #1C

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post

Just IMO of course.
Definitely not.

The Jets still ahve a relatively young team, and other than Wheeler, the team does not have many contracts that would be considered an albatross. We just need a really good coach to make the team gel.

Blow the team up if we are Edmonton, but I can't see us ever as bad as the Oilers of the last 15 years.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:05 AM

Quote:

Keep Copp and trade Scheifele.

Scheif has a contract that once was the envy of the NHL, but that was back in 2018. I have no idea why, but he seems to ahve receded since that time. He is going to demand at least $8 million/year on his next deal. Better trade him while we can get a good return.

As for Copp, what would he sign for? $4 milly? He's very underrated, and a key cog in the Jets. We also won't be able to keep Sheif, PLD, and Perfetti after the 2023-24 season is said and done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan