HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
That statement is completely false, he actually has a .524 winning percentage and a .577 points percentage with the jets. I think you are referencing his playoff winning percentage only.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coa...auripa99c.html

He has only had a sub .500 points percentage as head coach of the Hartford Whalers who were horrid and he was also the youngest head coach in NHL history back then.
Also there were no 3 point games, so winning percentages weren't inflated yet. Regardless, Maurice's record is the definition of mediocre.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:03 PM

Quote:
That statement is completely false, he actually has a .524 winning percentage and a .577 points percentage with the jets. I think you are referencing his playoff winning percentage only.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/coa...auripa99c.html

He has only had a sub .500 points percentage as head coach of the Hartford Whalers who were horrid and he was also the youngest head coach in NHL history back then.
Relax, my point stands - and as you point out, his record when it counts is bad. Anywhere else but Winnipeg, he would have been gone two years ago. There have been a number of good coaching candidates come available in that time. Coaching does make a difference. Maurice was the right choice but his time has come. The fact that his contract runs out at the end of the season says a lot. It’s my opinion.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:04 PM

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Also there were no 3 point games, so winning percentages weren't inflated yet. Regardless, Maurice's record is the definition of mediocre.
The winning percentage I referenced doesn't take into account the 3 points. It was simply wins in relation to games played.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:27 PM
jammon member

Quote:
The winning percentage I referenced doesn't take into account the 3 points. It was simply wins in relation to games played.
I'm in agreement that Maurice's time is up. I think a full change might be in order- I'm not a Huddy fan either. Take a look at what is working well, and keep the people that make a difference. I agree that the squad was decimated, but this is clearly a team that isn't responding to their coach.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 10:37 PM

I am just stating facts, I am indifferent whether he stays or goes. I do however believe the story is completely different if the Buff situation doesn't happen.

JOMO - Pionk
Kulikov - Buff
Niku - Poolman

That would have been a vastly better D core. Instead you had Poolman playing way above his skill level and all the other defense men playing above their potential. That has led to the lack of ability to break out of their own zone.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 11:01 PM

It’s debatable whether Buff would have made any difference or not, given that his skills have been in decline and many nights he’s a liability from boneheaded penalties. He’s also injured a lot. The best thing Buff could do is move along and get off the payroll so they can get a good defenseman under the cap.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I am just stating facts, I am indifferent whether he stays or goes. I do however believe the story is completely different if the Buff situation doesn't happen.

JOMO - Pionk
Kulikov - Buff
Niku - Poolman

That would have been a vastly better D core. Instead you had Poolman playing way above his skill level and all the other defense men playing above their potential. That has led to the lack of ability to break out of their own zone.
Kulikov and Niku are two of the three worst D the Jets have played this season along with Beaulieu. They are not NHL quality. Niku might have some upside, Kulikov likely will not play another NHL game after this season.

Buff makes a bit of a difference but likely not enough to change where the Jets are in the standings. If he played at the level he played last season he's worth just over 2 wins above replacement, 4 points. So the Jets would land only 8 points out of the playoffs instead of 12. Need a couple guys at his level. Buff also probably misses most of the season injured whether he reports to camp or not.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2020, 11:58 PM

Do we know if the reduction in concession prices has happened in other NHL cities? Or is this kind of a Winnipeg thing? On one hand I’m happy in a selfish way in that I don’t have to spend as much on a beer, but the Jets really shouldn’t have to do this. I’m not sure if it’s actually cause for concern but on the surface it’s not good. It doesn’t really speak well of the economic state of the city.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
Do we know if the reduction in concession prices has happened in other NHL cities? Or is this kind of a Winnipeg thing? On one hand I’m happy in a selfish way in that I don’t have to spend as much on a beer, but the Jets really shouldn’t have to do this. I’m not sure if it’s actually cause for concern but on the surface it’s not good. It doesn’t really speak well of the economic state of the city.
It's pretty widespread. Started with the new NFL stadium in Atlanta about 3-4 years ago.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:55 AM

I really hope they're planning on actually improving the gameday experience and not just hoping lowering prices is gonna do the trick.

I honestly don't think price is the issue here – it's value. People weren't really complaining about prices a ton until the last year or so, when the gameday experience dropped off heavily. The music is unbearable, TV timeouts and between whistles is dull as can be, Drew Kozub makes my ears bleed, there's STILL no tap for cards which is absurd, so it can take 15 minutes to get a beer.

While I certainly won't complain about beers being $3 cheaper – I think they've completely missed the point here, unless they have some serious plans to overhaul the actual entertainment value of the games.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I really hope they're planning on actually improving the gameday experience and not just hoping lowering prices is gonna do the trick.

I honestly don't think price is the issue here – it's value. People weren't really complaining about prices a ton until the last year or so, when the gameday experience dropped off heavily. The music is unbearable, TV timeouts and between whistles is dull as can be, Drew Kozub makes my ears bleed, there's STILL no tap for cards which is absurd, so it can take 15 minutes to get a beer.

While I certainly won't complain about beers being $3 cheaper – I think they've completely missed the point here, unless they have some serious plans to overhaul the actual entertainment value of the games.
I wonder if part of the issue here isn't the fact that the Jets went from also ran to legitimate Stanley Cup contender then back to also ran in a very short period. For the first 5 years we were happy just to be back in the league. But once you've had that taste of success, those multi-thousand dollar invoices for tickets sting a lot more when you know the team will be in tough just to make the playoffs.

And when the team is bad, suddenly everything is annoying... the music, the food prices, the in-game promos, the host, using phones for entry, etc.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 4:31 PM
Winnipeg

According to this article, $9-million worth of renovations for Bell MTS Centre are planned for summer 2020. Renders are attached in the article.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2020/01/28/bel...anitoba-moose/

Linking decreases ticket price to the economic state of Winnipeg is a bit of an overkill in my opinion, it's more like consumers reacting to monopoly pricing, which is the market structure sports league like NHL usually operate in

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:02 PM
BANNED

Good news, Jets haven't lost a game in a week!

Bad news, Jets haven't played a game in a week.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
According to this article, $9-million worth of renovations for Bell MTS Centre are planned for summer 2020. Renders are attached in the article.

https://www.chrisd.ca/2020/01/28/bel...anitoba-moose/

Linking decreases ticket price to the economic state of Winnipeg is a bit of an overkill in my opinion, it's more like consumers reacting to monopoly pricing, which is the market structure sports league like NHL usually operate in
Should point out that arena upgrades are a mandated use of the VLT money TNSE receives from the province of Manitoba.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 5:34 PM

People complained. The team listened. People till complain.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 6:26 PM

Rabble Rabble Rabble!!!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:15 PM

I was mulling this one over some more and I suppose a lot of people will be ditching season tickets because unlike 8 or 9 years ago, you no longer need to be a STH or part of a season ticket group in order to get in the door. You look on Fans First and there are loads of tickets, many priced at STH cost... so unless you actually intend to go to all, or just about all of the games (personally I don't know anyone who attends 40+ games a year), what's the point of locking in to a 3-5 year commitment? I mean, you can if you want to... but it's certainly not necessary anymore.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:25 PM

I've only been 1 to game this year that we weren't able to sell. Some sold at our csot, others marked up pretty good. Those games are things like the leafs or habs, which I could care less about watching. So we're still getting some value out of it that gives us a discount below STH on the games we do go to.

The main thing that keeps us as STH is dibs on playoff tickets and the discount that comes along with it. And of course we like hockey, the Jets and enjoy attending games.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 7:53 PM

^ Playoff discounts are about the only real tangible advantage left to being a STH, but it's starting to look unlikely to materialize this season - unless something changes quickly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan