HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
If Netflix (or anyone else) is actually looking for more studio space, does anyone know what's in the old Eaton's printers/warehouse on Galt Street? It's a huge footprint, and if it's not being used (or is underused) it may be a good place to convert for some studio space.
There is a Scott-Bathgate production facility inside.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
If Netflix (or anyone else) is actually looking for more studio space, does anyone know what's in the old Eaton's printers/warehouse on Galt Street? It's a huge footprint, and if it's not being used (or is underused) it may be a good place to convert for some studio space.
It’s actually full with production by / for Nutty Club.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 5:54 AM

The film industry is actually a massive contributor here, I think a lot of people don't really understand the amount of work and people that goes into it. There was a shoot going on in my office building for that new Christopher Lloyd movie the last few weeks. Was about two weeks of a massive crew (20+ people) renovating the space inside and out. Add on about 10 people rigging it for sound and lighting, etc. Craft services took over the third floor of 433 Main to feed and house the ~50+ people working at any given time on it. Only 3 days of shooting, and tearing it all down to put it back to how it was.

Was speaking to one of the site managers, this whole production in our building was $400,000 (just production, not for talent) and will yield at most 5 minutes of screen time. And almost the entire movie is being filmed here.

Plus, in order to get the tax credits, studios must go through unions, which means they MUST use local people wherever possible, unless there's no one available. That is actually happening a lot, so look to the colleges to start expanding their production programs by next year. With the province announcing it will start looking closer at education funding and directing grants to schools that actually educated people on jobs the Manitoba economy needs, it's all lining up to take off even more.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 10:09 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I was never under the impression that film & TV was that big a deal. It's high profile and glamourous as far as industries go, but on the whole the GDP contribution probably isn't that great. I'm sure if Price Industries or whomever added a product line with 100 full time workers it would probably be a bigger deal, even if went more or less unnoticed.
Put it this way; according to the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce; it cost the province $1 million per year, and the net economic benefit was $44.5 million.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...take-1.1180710

There was literally no reason to cut it if the SCoC report is to be believed, as it brought back money nearly 45 times over yearly.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Put it this way; according to the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce; it cost the province $1 million per year, and the net economic benefit was $44.5 million.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...take-1.1180710

There was literally no reason to cut it if the SCoC report is to be believed, as it brought back money nearly 45 times over yearly.
I don't want to turn this into a politics discussion, but this is evidence of a decision based on political dogma vs facts & figures ( a sin parties of all stripes are sometimes guilty of). This is why I was personally so pleasantly surprised that Pallister, a Conservative, has increased the Manitoba tax credit and seems to fully understand and support the film industry.

That being said I'd love to see more provincial support for education in film industry skills. I think producers take note of that kind of commitment from a local government as factor in their long term planning.

As for a new Netflix studio, I know they just built something in Toronto recently, but I don't think that should stop them from considering Winnipeg as well if they see some economic benefit.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:28 PM
There is always a way

^didn't the province also make the film tax credit permanently recently? That would definitely encourage film companies to put down firmer roots here.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 4:40 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

This is great for Winnipeg and Manitoba.

A few years ago, when Jonathan Torrens was advocating to keep the Film and Tax credit alive in Nova Scotia, he brought up a great points why it was such a great idea, and that the spinoffs it created were great for the local economy. Not sure it how it turned out in the end over there, but building more studio space here, if they're in high demand, would be great.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
At least Ubisoft is likely here for the long haul, even if their presence is small.

With film, they ratcheted up training for those years in the 2000s when the dollar was low and production was busy, but then it all dried up. Now that it's back, they're scrambling to train more people who will graduate just in time for the market to dry up again, as it inevitably will.
I used to think this as well but i'm not sure - with the way subscription services are growing and becoming the main stay - and with more and more aiming at EXCLUSIVE CONTENT - withholding their properties from other streaming services - its very possible the current MASSIVE demand for content (niche content that isn't really mainstream but adds to each of these services permanent catalogs.

I really liked this show Halt and Catch Fire - wasn't amazing by any means but was pretty good and from a 'scene' / 'era' I love (basically a fictional 1980s to early 90s Apple / Microsoft esque computer business playing on some of the tropes and mythology of that time) - I thought it may take off but it didn't really catch on in popularity and by end of second season its ratings were pretty bad. It ended up getting renewed for 2 more seasons and I think its exactly because its for this market of high quality but niche content that builds streaming service 'exclusive content' catalogs that increase the perceived value of a subscription. (NOTE: I haven't had time to finish season 3 or 4 so no spoilers plz if anyone has seen it lol)

I can't stand this new subscription based economy - its gotten completely out of hand and is going to come back to haunt all of these companies soon - but the streaming model means at least for the foreseeable future (I'd argue at least 20-30 years as a conservative estimate - this may actually just be the way going forward from here on out) that good tv/film will need to be produced en masse and Winnipeg / Manitoba / Canada should do whatever they can to catch the wave.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Curse you Brad Wall for scrapping the film tax credit lmao
Yeah. My brother had to move to Vancouver after waiting as long as he could since the Sask Party screwed Saskatchewan’s film industry. Amazing for Winnipeg.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan