HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 8:46 PM

RICHMOND | Dominion Energy HQ (600 Canal Place) | 417 FT | 20 FLOORS

Quote:
Dominion plans addition to Richmond's skyline

Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2015 10:45 pm
By JOHN RAMSEY Richmond Times-Dispatch
Dominion Resources Inc., the Richmond-based energy conglomerate, plans to demolish a downtown office building it bought four years ago and replace it with a new tower that will “enhance” the city’s skyline.
The Richmond Plaza office building on Cary Street, across Seventh Street from Dominion’s 21-story One James River Plaza office tower, will start coming down within a year, said Carter Reid, Dominion’s senior vice president, chief administrative and compliance officer and corporate secretary.

The yet-to-be-designed building will include underground parking, office and retail space along with public areas, Reid said. While demolition should start during the next 12 months, she said, there’s no timeline for erecting the new building, or any estimate of how tall it might rise.
“The first step is planning what we need,” Reid said. “A project of this size will take some time,” noting that similar projects usually take two or three years to complete.
The new construction is part of an overall plan to eventually renovate, rebuild or sell property at four other Dominion sites within Richmond. The company’s Tredegar campus along the James River, which includes offices for Dominion’s top executives, will be renovated, while decisions haven’t been made on its properties on Grayland Avenue, a 20-story office building at Eighth and Main and the One James River Plaza tower.
The company originally planned to use the Richmond Plaza site as a parking deck to relieve a shortage of spaces for the 1,060 employees at One James River Plaza, Reid said. But with the office tower approaching 40 years old, plans shifted to make something more of the new property than just parking.

Reid said the building could serve as a replacement for One James River Plaza, but that it is still too early to say exactly how Dominion will end up using the new space. Reid said the demolition of One James River Plaza after the new building is complete remains a possibility. Upgrading the old office tower would be a considerable expense, she said.
Reid said Dominion has informed top city officials of its plans and will meet with them and other downtown stakeholders to help the company come up with a design plan that will improve the center city. The company plans a distinctive and energy-efficient design, and will use surveys of employees to determine how best to arrange the offices and work spaces inside, she said.
“Part of recruiting and getting people to Richmond is making Richmond an attractive city,” said Reid, noting that part of the aim is to “enhance” Richmond’s skyline.
Dominion announced its plans to employees on Tuesday.

Dominion in 2011 paid $5.5 million for the six-story Richmond Plaza building and parking deck, which takes up the entire block between East Cary and Canal streets and South Sixth and Seventh streets.
The energy giant also recently bought farmland in central Henrico County to build an $80 million, 110,000-square-foot operations center to replace a 30-year-old facility in the Innsbrook Corporate Center that will be retained as a backup.
Dominion owns more than 1.6 million square feet of building space in Richmond for about 2,400 employees. The comprehensive plan centered on the new tower on the Richmond Plaza site could affect almost half of its 5,300 workers in the Richmond region.
Reid said the company’s Dominion Virginia Power facilities at the Innsbrook Corporate Center would be unaffected by the changes downtown.
Dominion Resources is the parent company of Dominion Virginia Power, the largest electric utility in Virginia. The corporation also operates large natural gas storage and distribution systems and serves utility and retail energy customers in 12 states.

The company has proposed a $5 billion, 550-mile natural gas pipeline in Virginia, West Virginia and North Carolina that was endorsed by Gov. Terry McAuliffe but has drawn increasing criticism from environmental groups and local residents near where it would pass.

http://www.richmond.com/business/loc...4970f56a7.html

Last edited by Urbannizer; Feb 8, 2017 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 9:16 PM

This could be the tower that Richmond needs to make its skyline something more than 'meh'. It has to be significant to 'enhance' the skyline and reach over a tower which already has a standing presence in that section of the cityscape.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 2:35 AM

I went up to Richmond recently to see a concert,and while there i got to experience the amazing cityscape,its very underrated,honestly this is what i would want out of dominion in this proposal,a 45-50 story tower with a glass facade with an illuminated crown and possible spire, and hopefully top out at 650-700 ft . i live in Virginia beach, and we have the tallest building in the state at 500 ft so i want more

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Dominion plans to build 20-story office tower in downtown and possibly a second one

Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:30 pm
By CAROL HAZARD Richmond Times-Dispatch
Dominion Resources Inc. plans to tear down a six-story office structure — the Richmond Plaza building at 111 S. Sixth St. — and construct a 20-story office tower in its place.
Demolition is expected to start in late June and take four months. Construction on the new building is targeted for completion in early 2019.
A decision about what will happen to the nearby One James River Plaza, where Dominion Virginia Power operates, will be made in 2019, company spokesman C. Ryan Frazier said.

http://www.richmond.com/business/loc...ebbaaa4f5.html

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 6:10 PM
Chairman

Darn it. I was hoping for a lot more than this for Richmond. Definitely more in the height department. Architecture is good but not of signature caliber.

-sb

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 12:21 AM

Demolition has begun on existing structures

Source: me

Old Posted Feb 6, 2017, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Dominion: New office tower to be 'energy-efficient marvel for Richmond's skyline'
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2016 9:30 pm
By ROBERT ZULLO Richmond Times-Dispatch
Dominion Resources CEO and Chairman Tom Farrell had a “particular dislike” for the six-story former Richmond Plaza building on South Sixth Street.
And now, what Farrell called “the ugliest building in the city of Richmond” is gone — replaced by a nearly 2-acre hole from which will sprout a 20-story glass, steel and concrete office tower and parking garage that Carter Reid, a Dominion senior vice president, said will be an “energy-efficient marvel for Richmond’s skyline.”
The groundbreaking for the building happened back in December. The official height of the building is now 417 feet.

http://www.richmond.com/business/loc...15c1fa603.html

Last edited by Scaevola; Feb 6, 2017 at 7:45 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 3:49 PM

I just went by the site yesterday. A crane has been erected and pilings have been put in place. It looks like the building is going to rise pretty soon

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 9:52 PM

http://www.pickardchilton.com/work/dominion

Quote:
Currently under construction, the phase one 20-story Tower One will be approximately 1 million square feet and occupy a full city block. It will include a high-performance workplace for over 1,000 employees, street level retail, employee amenities and parking. If approved, the second phase’s 16-story Tower Two will replace Dominion’s existing offices at One James River Plaza.

The Richmond Times: Downtown Development Forum showcases dozens of projects reshaping Richmond's landscape

Quote:
Also “huge for downtown” is Dominion Resources Inc.’s office tower going up at South Sixth and East Cary streets, Meade said. The 20-story office building is targeted for completion in early 2019.
Speaker Roy Grier with Dominion said a second tower that will connect with the first one is not officially approved at this time, but is likely to proceed and the targeted opening is 2022.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 7:10 PM

from the construction cam. This tower is now known as 600 Canal Place, btw.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2017, 9:09 PM
Chairman

-sb

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 5:11 PM

Old Posted Dec 3, 2017, 5:58 PM
Meh

It's a nice design. Granted it's not a marvel of architecture, but it is something different for Richmond that will add to their skyline.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 9:41 PM

Via Webcam:

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 9:48 PM

RVA skyline by Adam Williams, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 15, 2018, 11:03 PM

DJI_0902 by Brian Lalor, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 8:39 PM

Flood Wall by AQUEST1, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 26, 2018, 2:22 AM

It's a beautiful building, and it must be the tallest 20 story building ever!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2019, 6:59 PM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 2:27 AM

by me

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive