HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
It's a loading zone, not a loading dock. Very, very different things.

A loading zone will not disrupt passing traffic. The trucks would simply pull over curbside along 19th street and unload.

My concern is the overly-generous valet zone. I would like to see it shortened to 25-30 feet to allow for two cars, no more. Otherwise, the valet zone and loading zone will create an 80ft deadzone on the SW corner of 19xMarket at most hours of the day.
OMFG I overlooked that. They're bitching about a fucking loading zone?! Wow. Just. Wow.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 12:56 AM

So is this dead?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
So is this dead?
Lol no. This was just proposed. Patience.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
So is this dead?
the CCRA is demanding more parking. Meanwhile, this corner looks decrepit with 3 derelict buildings, an empty lot, next to the hulking eyesore that is the Boyd.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
the CCRA is demanding more parking. Meanwhile, this corner looks decrepit with 3 derelict buildings, an empty lot, next to the hulking eyesore that is the Boyd.
Yep, I walk by here a lot. Across the street, bars and a decent crowd by the afternoon. If/when this gets built - to go along with the AQ Rittenhouse - next block down... I bet 19-20 Chestnut St really comes to live. Pearl Properties is very active - lots of properties close by this corner, I can't imagine they don't figure out a way to get this built.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 6:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
seems that every neighborhood group is demanding more parking from developers these days. But when these project move forward the City (Planning, ZBA) is blamed for allowing more parking than the code requires. The people in many areas are not in agreement with some of the principles the revised zoning code is pushing.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
seems that every neighborhood group is demanding more parking from developers these days. But when these project move forward the City (Planning, ZBA) is blamed for allowing more parking than the code requires. The people in many areas are not in agreement with some of the principles the revised zoning code is pushing.
Agree 100%

There is WAY too many groups and organizations who oversee new development. Neighborhood groups, the Planning Commission, CDR, ZBA, etc.... and they ALL have conflicting ideas. That's way too many people who have power who shouldn't have it.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 1:33 PM

Quote:
The Boyd is being addressed. Supposedly construction is underway already (though I see no signs of it). http://www.phillymag.com/ticket/2014...movie-theater/

I think this stretch will seek marked improvement over the next three years Just like the Chestnut stretch between 15th and 17th. It's a hotbed of construction and change right now. And hopefully the W hotel to start soon.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
Yep, I walk by here a lot. Across the street, bars and a decent crowd by the afternoon. If/when this gets built - to go along with the AQ Rittenhouse - next block down... I bet 19-20 Chestnut St really comes to live. Pearl Properties is very active - lots of properties close by this corner, I can't imagine they don't figure out a way to get this built.
I agree. We'll see vast improvements on the whole stretch of Chestnut from 15th to 20th over the next 3-5 years.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 1:57 PM

Quote:
The Boyd is far from a "hulking eyesore." I agree that the yellow-painted, wheatpasted, graffitied plywood barricade is an eyesore (and an easily fixable one at that), but the building itself? Not even remotely.

I never bought the BS argument that the Boyd's "blight" was holding back development in the area, and I still don't. Aside from maybe UCity, this stretch is the hottest in the entire city. Despite this flurry of development, there remain many, many "hulking eyesores" on this stretch of Chestnut, but the Boyd is certainly not one of them.

Anyway, back to 1900 Chestnut...

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
The Boyd is far from a "hulking eyesore." I agree that the yellow-painted, wheatpasted, graffitied plywood barricade is an eyesore (and an easily fixable one at that), but the building itself? Not even remotely.

I never bought the BS argument that the Boyd's "blight" was holding back development in the area, and I still don't. Aside from maybe UCity, this stretch is the hottest in the entire city. Despite this flurry of development, there remain many, many "hulking eyesores" on this stretch of Chestnut, but the Boyd is certainly not one of them.

Anyway, back to 1900 Chestnut...
Well, and also the burnt out/gutted piece under the Sam Eric sign that used to display films playing there when it was active. The Sam Eric sign, itself, is pretty unattractive in my view as well. As currently constituted, it is an eyesore. Regardless of whether the underlying building structure is or is not, and there were no plans to address the unappealing elements absent a full-scale renovation. I don't think that was a serious or primary factor holding back development on that stretch of Chestnut, but it's not something pleasant to view from the other properties there. Anyhow, as you say, back to 1900 Chestnut...

Old Posted Oct 27, 2014, 10:19 PM

I guess we can play Taps for this one, and shut down this thread?? ... sad.

[IMG] by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]Untitled by TallCoolOne2014, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Oct 28, 2014, 12:41 AM

We'll wait for official word that the tower has been downsized first. You never know, crazier things have happened.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Agree 100%

There is WAY too many groups and organizations who oversee new development. Neighborhood groups, the Planning Commission, CDR, ZBA, etc.... and they ALL have conflicting ideas. That's way too many people who have power who shouldn't have it.
Exactly. It drives me nuts. Too many vested parties and no organized communication. It's like Thanksgiving dinner with a dysfunctional family. Everyone has an opinion, everyone is irrationally reactionary, and the mashed potatoes end up on the ceiling and I don't get any stuffing because it isn't gluten free.

The parking debate kills me. Everyone in the city seems to agree there's a surplus or available parking, then they demand more parking, then complain about the traffic it will cause. The entire argument is set up to fail from the beginning.

Nothing constructive ever seems to come out of these neighborhood organizations. As long as NIMBYs have been screaming, you'd think by now there'd be a way to weed out the nonsense.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:11 PM

Why do we think this is being downsized? And to what? I know there was some bad news from the CCRA in May. But does that mean this is definitely a no-go? Pretty sure I saw some new notices in the window when I walked by at the end of next week. Can probably swing by and check it out and snap a pic tomorrow.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Why do we think this is being downsized? And to what? I know there was some bad news from the CCRA in May. But does that mean this is definitely a no-go? Pretty sure I saw some new notices in the window when I walked by at the end of next week. Can probably swing by and check it out and snap a pic tomorrow.
Someone with insider info posted a few weeks back (I think on the Dev. Thread) that the developer was nixing this plan due to ...well too much BS from nimby's. And as a result, would be presenting ...I think a 9 story building instead (if my memory is correct).

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Someone with insider info posted a few weeks back (I think on the Dev. Thread) that the developer was nixing this plan due to ...well too much BS from nimby's. And as a result, would be presenting ...I think a 9 story building instead (if my memory is correct).
Bummer. I was actually emailing with Reed Slogoff today on something else (Pearl Properties has a project in my building). I suppose the 9 story will be better than nothing...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 5:55 PM

Quote:
It was sayitaintso, I believe.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Yes. Can you get a pic update of the new notices?? That would be great! Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 6:13 PM

I'm still hoping against all hope they work this out. This proposal is great and 9 stories is such a waste for this location.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive