HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 1:58 PM
ハルウララ

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/bia...nnis-1.5389257

Andreescu unanimously won the Lou Marsh Award this weekend. First tennis player to win the award. Five finalists also included Brooke Henderson, Jordan Binnington, Andre De Grasse, and Mike Soroka.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 2:14 PM

^ I don't think too many people are going to argue with that choice.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 2:42 PM

LSU QB Joe Burrow wins Heisman Trophy over Ticats neg list QB Jalen Hurts
Justin Dunk 3downnation December 14, 2019

Louisiana State University quarterback Joe Burrow has won the most coveted individual award in all of sports: the Heisman Trophy.

Burrow beat out University of Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts, Ohio State University teammates, quarterback Justin Fields and defensive lineman Chase Young. Burrow, Fields and Young aren’t on a CFL negotiation list, yet, but Hurts is property of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Canadian running back Chuba Hubbard, who is from Sherwood Park, Alberta, was somehow not invited to the prestigious ceremony even though Hubbard led the NCAA in rushing yards with 1,936 and 21 touchdowns on the ground.

Quarterbacks have won the majority of Heisman’s since the year 2000 — 17 of the last 20 stiff-armed trophies. Burrow is the second Heisman winner from LSU and first since running back Billy Cannon in 1959. The 60-year gap between Heisman winners is the longest for any school with multiple recipients.

LSU’s signal caller threw for 4,715 yards, 48 touchdowns (Southeastern Conference single-season record) against six interceptions while completing 77.9 percent of his passes. Burrow added 289 yards and three rushing touchdowns. He led the Tigers to a perfect 13-0 record and SEC Championship during his senior season.

Hurts transferred from the University of Alabama and enjoyed the most productive year of his NCAA career alongside Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley. The six-foot-two, 218-pound QB hit on 71.8 percent of his pass attempts for 3,634 yards with 32 touchdowns against seven interceptions. The dual-threat athlete recorded 1,255 yards and 18 touchdowns with his feet — 5.7 yards per carry. He even caught two balls for 25 yards and one touchdown.

After moving from the University of Georgia, Fields passed for 2,953 yards and a ridiculous 40-to-1 touchdown-interception ratio, 67.5 percent of Fields’ balls were caught. He ran for 471 yards and 10 touchdowns. The Buckeyes were undefeated (13-0) under Fields’ guidance.

Young played 11 games notching 44 tackles, 21 tackles for loss, 16.5 sacks and seven forced fumbles. The quarterback takedown total led the entire NCAA. Young is the first exclusively defensive player to be a Heisman finalist since University of Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o finished second behind Texas A&M University quarterback Johnny Manziel in 2012.

Burrow is projected to be a high first-round NFL draft pick, which is the reason no CFL franchise has put his name on a neg list.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 3:06 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

Louisiana State University quarterback Joe Burrow has won the most coveted individual award in all of sports: the Heisman Trophy.
It's a pet peeve of mine when Canadians buy into and mimic the American greatest-this and world-that rhetoric.

Is the Heisman Trophy really a bigger deal than the Ballon d'Or in soccer?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's a pet peeve of mine when Canadians buy into and mimic the American greatest-this and world-that rhetoric. Is the Heisman Trophy really a bigger deal than the Ballon d'Or in soccer?
Yes, that was a bit much, I am losing a bit of faith in Justin Dunk lately.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 4:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yes, that was a bit much, I am losing a bit of faith in Justin Dunk lately.
To his credit he does cover stuff no one else does.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
To his credit he does cover stuff no one else does.
Every so often he veers a bit and does some dickish stuff otherwise he is one of the few, what I would call for lack of a better word, investigative CFL writers.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 12:45 AM

Canadian receiver Chase Claypool named Notre Dame’s MVP
John Hodge 3downnation December 14, 2019

A Canadian receiver is getting his due at one of the NCAA’s most historic programs.

Receiver Chase Claypool has been named the University of Notre Dame’s Most Valuable Player for the 2019 season. It’s a prestigious award considering how many NFL stars attended Notre Dame, including Joe Theismann, Dave Casper, Tim Brown, Alan Page, and Joe Montana.

Claypool had an excellent senior season, making 59 catches for 891 yards and 12 touchdowns. The NFL draft is still months away, but the Abbotsford, B.C. native is projected to get picked as high as the second round.

The six-foot-four, 230-pound target has caught 143 passes for 2,013 yards and 18 touchdowns over four seasons with the Fighting Irish.

Claypool is currently the second-ranked prospect for the 2020 CFL draft, but don’t be surprised if he isn’t selected until the later rounds on April 30. Given his level of production, NCAA pedigree, speed, and size, there’s little reason to believe Claypool will ever play a down in the CFL.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 1:04 AM

The "greatest individual award in sports" is an NCAA football trophy? Give me a break

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:24 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
It's a pet peeve of mine when Canadians buy into and mimic the American greatest-this and world-that rhetoric.

Is the Heisman Trophy really a bigger deal than the Ballon d'Or in soccer?
A gridiron writer thinks a gridiron trophy is the most prestigious in the world - more at 11.

The Ballon d'Or is mostly a joke and mostly used for marketing purposes at this point. It really doesn't convey the actual best in the sport. There really isn't one single individual award that is more coveted than any other in sports...they all sort of share the same level, at least IMO.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The Ballon d'Or is mostly a joke and mostly used for marketing purposes at this point. It really doesn't convey the actual best in the sport. There really isn't one single individual award that is more coveted than any other in sports...they all sort of share the same level, at least IMO.
I'd agree with that, I don't know if there is a most prestigious individual award.

I was thinking about it ie the Ballon d'Or, and that award means nothing in the US. And even if it was the biggest individual trophy in the rest of the world you can't really discount it being nothing in the US, the cultural influencer of the world, (whether we like it or not)

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I'd agree with that, I don't know if there is a most prestigious individual award.

I was thinking about it ie the Ballon d'Or, and that award means nothing in the US. And even if it was the biggest individual trophy in the rest of the world you can't really discount it being nothing in the US, the cultural influencer of the world, (whether we like it or not)
I'm a football fan and even I have to struggle a bit with the idea of the Heisman being the biggest individual trophy in the world.

Given that the NFL is a higher level of competition than the NCAA, why wouldn't their MVP award be considered more prestigious? A lot of Heisman winners barely make a ripple in the pros... I mean, Andre Ware was last seen holding a clipboard for the Argos in the 1990s. Rashaan Salaam was another one who also coincidentally ended up with the Argos before getting cut.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm a football fan and even I have to struggle a bit with the idea of the Heisman being the biggest individual trophy in the world.
Same with me.

Most people around the world know that gridiron is big in the U.S., that they have cheerleaders, that they have this big game called the Super Bowl where pop stars put on a show at halftime, but most of the other details and culture surrounding football in the U.S. are totally lost on them.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

It may be a joke but I don't think there is a voted individual sports award that is not based on a measurable performance (ie finishing first in the 100 m at the Olympics) that is more recognized globally.

The Heisman isn't even close.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 9:57 PM

Quote:
It may be a joke but I don't think there is a voted individual sports award that is not based on a measurable performance (ie finishing first in the 100 m at the Olympics) that is more recognized globally.

The Heisman isn't even close.
It's the first I've heard of it (not the Heisman, the other one that I would have to scroll up to see what's it called again lol).

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

Given that the NFL is a higher level of competition than the NCAA, why wouldn't their MVP award be considered more prestigious? .
There are hundreds of college football teams, and to be voted best of that group is a huge accomplishment. I also think that college football is more important to more people in the US than the NFL is. (I would say the same about basketball too). People watch their favourite NFL team, but they live and die by their college team. Even my small representative sampling of US facebook friends, I see a few post a "Go (NFL team) Go" on any given Sunday, but when their college team is playing on Sturday, they post pics of themselves wearing the garb, show pics of their basements done in team colors, and they have a million people commenting and trash talking on the posts. I don't think many people even know what the NFL MVP award is called.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 2:41 PM
ハルウララ

Just going to leave this here....

Breaking: I can confirm that #Montréal will be hosting an 8 team #NCAA regular season ������ tournament in late 2020. Gigantic news for our province. Details to follow. Je peut confirmer que Montréal sera l’hôte d’un tournois de la NCAA en fin 2020. Une nouvelle gigantesque. #RDS
@PeteYannopoulos

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
There are hundreds of college football teams, and to be voted best of that group is a huge accomplishment. I also think that college football is more important to more people in the US than the NFL is. (I would say the same about basketball too). People watch their favourite NFL team, but they live and die by their college team. Even my small representative sampling of US facebook friends, I see a few post a "Go (NFL team) Go" on any given Sunday, but when their college team is playing on Sturday, they post pics of themselves wearing the garb, show pics of their basements done in team colors, and they have a million people commenting and trash talking on the posts. I don't think many people even know what the NFL MVP award is called.
I get that college sports are a bigger deal in the US than Canadians tend to appreciate, but at the same time I'd say that the NFL is king down there. It's the one thing practically all sports fans there have in common.

By contrast, college football (or basketball) is much more regional. You live in Alabama or South Carolina, it's life and death. Not so much if you live in NY-NJ, Vermont or South Dakota.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 5:46 PM

Canadian QB Nathan Rourke leads Ohio to bowl win in final NCAA game
3Down Staff 3Downnation January 4 2020

Canadian quarterback Nathan Rourke led Ohio University to a program-record third-straight bowl win beating the University of Nevada 30-21 in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Rourke, the Oakville, Ontario native, was named Most Valuable Player in his final game as a Bobcat. He completed 9-of-17 attempts for 144 yards and ran 10 times for 87 yards, including a 35-yard touchdown.

The dual-threat QB finished his Ohio career with a 24-13 record as a starting quarterback and was under centre for three-straight bowl victories. Ohio matched the University of Toledo (1969-1971) and Miami University (1973-1975) for the most consecutive bowl wins in Mid-American Conference history.

“I hope more than anything I was a good teammate. I love the guys in the locker room. I take a lot of pride in being a good teammate, being a good leader, being coachable by the coaches,” Rourke said.

“I’ve been so fortunate to be able to come here and to just be one of the guys, learn from these coaches, have a lot of fun, a lot of success doing it. I couldn’t ask for more from this program.”

Rourke ends his NCAA career, but begins the process of finding a job in the pros by accepting an invite to the NFLPA Bowl.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 6:24 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Just going to leave this here....

Breaking: I can confirm that #Montréal will be hosting an 8 team #NCAA regular season ������ tournament in late 2020. Gigantic news for our province. Details to follow. Je peut confirmer que Montréal sera l’hôte d’un tournois de la NCAA en fin 2020. Une nouvelle gigantesque. #RDS
@PeteYannopoulos
Is it a NCAA - U Sports clash?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada