HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 4:30 PM
Rey

Smile A 2000 ft tower for West Side

Hello from Italy, I’m new in this forum and I have a proposal for a +2000 ft skyscraper in the West Side. The skyscraper could be similar to never build Miglin Beitler Skyneedle. Here my proposal to how could will be West Side in 2020/25.

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...1bcad8e00f.jpg
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...a60c8d1458.jpg

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 4:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony73 View Post
Hello from Italy, I’m new in this forum and I have a proposal for a +2000 ft skyscraper in the West Side. The skyscraper could be similar to never build Miglin Beitler Skyneedle. Here my proposal to how could will be West Side in 2020/25.

LOL, not a bad try.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony73 View Post

ooooo i likey!!!!

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Dec 27, 2010, 6:22 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

The city should look to Italy for some West Side development advisory

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 12:11 AM

Now that is what I like. A few pages ago I suggested a 2,000 foot signature tower for the West Side of Manhattan. A sort of anchor, and beautiful creation for the West Side of Manhattan.

Though I have a problem with the Chicago's Miglin Beitler Skyneedle. I find that this building has too many setbacks. Even for the city of New York this building has too many setbacks. A better idea would be to take some setbacks away from the original proposal, give it a modern glass look, and move the building to the center of the lower buildings that hold it up. That would fit New York City, and it would be modern.

Last edited by Roadcruiser1; Dec 28, 2010 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 8:10 AM

A 2000 ft. neo-art deco tower on the west side would be a dream come true, only if its architectural quality matched previous icons.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 3:58 AM

You know another interesting idea would be to build the former Twin Towers of the WTC on the Hudson Yards redevelopment site, but it would be really weird to see the Twin Towers on the West Side of Manhattan, but the former buildings had a lot of office space, and such a group of buildings like that in the West Side can be used for multiple uses, incorporate a lot of safety features, and can have a total of 8 emergency staircases, four in the core, four on the surrounding corners. It would also appease the Pro-rebuild the Twin Towers movement that is going on. You don't have to have a superblock though like the original WTC. You can have the new Twin Towers stand on one block, and have other skyscrapers on other blocks like the regular Hudson Yards redevelopment project.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 4:07 AM
DENNAB

yea that's not happening...

what could happen though is a building or a few in the same height league as the twin towers somewhere on the westside (a few are proposed already)

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
You know another interesting idea would be to build the former Twin Towers of the WTC on the Hudson Yards redevelopment site, but it would be really weird to see the Twin Towers on the West Side of Manhattan, but the former buildings had a lot of office space, and such a group of buildings like that in the West Side can be used for multiple uses, incorporate a lot of safety features, and can have a total of 8 emergency staircases, four in the core, four on the surrounding corners. It would also appease the Pro-rebuild the Twin Towers movement that is going on. You don't have to have a superblock though like the original WTC. You can have the new Twin Towers stand on one block, and have other skyscrapers on other blocks like the regular Hudson Yards redevelopment project.
i wouldnt have mind the old WTC built at ground zero and the New WTC complex built at the Hudson Yards.

i dont suppose someone could create a rendering of that with photoshop or something?

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 2:18 PM
New Yorker for life

I hope not, because it won't happen. But just for fun, the thread for it would be here...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...397&order=desc

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 11:53 PM
World Machine

^^^You guys should create a separate thread in the ‘fantasy’ section for this discussion.

Only viable proposals and actual news should be discussed here.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 11:58 PM

Yeah you are right about that

Now for the real news on the redevelopment project

http://www.hydc.org/html/home/home.shtml

Oh yeah on the website they mentioned that the Western portion of the rail yard would be developed first, and the Eastern portion would be developed later, because the Easter section of the rail yard would have to be built on top of existing LIRR platforms.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 1:25 AM
New Yorker for life

^ The commercial phase on the eastern yards will begin first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Only viable proposals and actual news should be discussed here.
And it shall be. BTW, it was posted over in the Hudson Yards thread that there could possibly be some financial assistance with building the platforms.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article.../SUB/101209926
Hudson Yards versus No. 7 train

December 5, 2010
By Erik Engquist and Jeremy Smerd

Quote:
City Council Speaker Christine Quinn might eventually have to decide how to spend any money remaining from the project extending the No. 7 subway line. As much as $500 million may be available, which could help build a station at 10th Avenue and 42nd Street or partially finance a platform at Hudson Yards.

It's the mayor's call, but subject to council approval. The platform would likely win out, because the Hudson Yards project depends on it. It is supposed to be privately financed, but that might not be possible, given the economy.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 4:47 PM

Started a thread on the subject in the buildings, and architecture area. That would be the right location for talks like this. Lets carry the conversation there. This is for the real project. From here on out it should be about the regular Hudson Yards Redevelopment.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 5:54 PM
World Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
BTW, it was posted over in the Hudson Yards thread that there could possibly be some financial assistance with building the platforms.
That would be huge; every bit helps, and I’m sure it would be greatly appreciated on Related’s end.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2011, 6:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://ny.therealdeal.com/articles/d...son-yards-park

Demo contracts near for Hudson Yards park

545 West 34th Street

By Adam Pincus
12/08/08

The city is moving forward with demolition to clear the way for a new four-acre park and boulevard as well as the entrance for the new terminal station for the No. 7 train for the massive Hudson Yards redevelopment project on Manhattan's West Side.

The city is expected to award its first contracts this week to raze two buildings on two large parcels spanning from 34th to 36th streets, and 10th to 11th avenues, which will become part of the new Hudson Boulevard and park.

And a block to the south, the city is seeking bids that are due Friday for the demolition of the former FedEx World Service Center building at 528-556 West 34th Street, to make way for the entrance to the No. 7 train on 33rd Street. ...

Hudson Boulevard and the park comprise a mid-block open space that is planned to run from 33rd to 39th streets between 10th and 11th avenues, and be lined with large office and residential towers. The first phase of the park and boulevard, from 33rd to 36th streets, is slated to be completed in 2013. A design team is expected to be named in the next several weeks, city officials said....

The three buildings that are coming down are a six-story, red brick residential building at 545 West 34th Street, and a seven-story commercial building at 524-542 West 36th Street, both between 10th and 11th avenues, in addition to the FedEx building.....

David Farber, vice president and general counsel at the Hudson Yards Development Corporation, wrote in an email: "The park and boulevard remain on schedule to be completed in 2013, and therefore we must go ahead with that demolition work...."
Has the FedEx building, in fact, been demolished? I never go around this area.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2011, 9:48 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Yep.

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...orthy-projects
Will Related stay on track with Hudson Yards?

January 01, 2011
By C. J. Hughes

Quote:
Community outrage derailed plans for a Jets Stadium at Hudson Yards; later, the recession slowed other sweeping mixed-use development schemes. But there are small signs of progress at the yards, a 26-acre railroad site controlled by the Related Companies and Canada's Oxford Properties.

At the end of the year, Related began demolishing a 6,000-square-foot industrial structure to make way for a 1.4 million-square-foot office and apartment tower, the Wall Street Journal reported. Related may be under the gun: It must start paying rent to site owner Metropolitan Transit Authority once the city office market hits an 11 percent vacancy rate, the Journal noted.

At the same time, work has begun on "Hudson Boulevard," a new midblock street that will run from West 42nd to the site, which abuts West 33rd Street. That's according to Bob Benfatto, district manager of Community Board 4, which is reviewing proposals for playgrounds, park benches and gardens that will line the new thoroughfare.

But Related's would-be office tenants might be caught in a tug-of-war. Developer Joseph Moinian has said his plans for a new 1.6 million-square-foot office tower nearby on 11th Avenue are finally moving forward.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...ighborhood.php

Signs Announce Hudson Yards, the 'Next Great Neighborhood'

Monday, January 10, 2011, by Joey Arak

Quote:
The Related Companies has a message for those who doubt that Hudson Yards will ever see the light of day: read it and weep!

Related put up signage that wraps the entire site, and we haven't seen such a symbolic flag-planting on a remote piece of land since Neil Armstrong stabbed the Stars & Stripes into the surface of a California sound stage.

The banners feature slogans such as "New York's next great neighborhood," and "by the creators of Time Warner Center," and they must be new, because there's no graffiti to be seen. Then again, do taggers get this far west?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 6:58 PM
Metal Up Your !

"By the creators of Time Warner Center." Sounds like they're hyping up a blockbuster movie lol. No but seriously, it'll no doubt be an amazing and beautiful new neighborhood for NYC.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
"By the creators of Time Warner Center." Sounds like they're hyping up a blockbuster movie lol.
I say they need to hire Steven Spielberg as an architect. Or maybe M. Night Shyamalan so he can give a twist to the whole thing, like when you get to the top floor, you find out that you're actually 100 floors underground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive