HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 10:09 PM

Heres a CG model of the Twin Towers that I have been working on for the past few years.

Last edited by Papabear3721; Feb 25, 2011 at 3:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rdfFroO67g

One of my favorite songs filmed on top of WTC.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear3721 View Post
Heres a CG model of the Twin Towers that I have been working on for the past few years.
Awesome! So many talented modelers on this site.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 5:53 PM

You should work with STR. I was hoping that someday I would help do night models showing the lights of skyscrapers under construction, and those that are proposed, and the destroyed ones also.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 8:12 PM

Where the heck do you get the textures from?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 10:22 PM

Thanks. And actually there are no textures, everything is pure geometry, and it slows down my computer pretty bad.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 4:55 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Does anyone know if the indoor observatory opened before the rooftop outdoor observatory? The information I have found says that the rooftop opened in December 1975 but am wondering when the indoor observatory opened, possibly in 1973. If they both opened at the same time it would mean that actually the Sears Tower in Chicago had an observatory before the WTC, the former opening in June 1974.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 5:10 AM

The indoor observation deck from the information online mentions that the indoor observation deck opened at the same time the North Tower of the World Trade Center opened which would be April 4th 1973. The South Tower, and it's observation deck opened the year later. It would mean that the World Trade Center had the highest observation deck, and was the tallest building in the world for a year before being defeated by the Sears now Willis Tower in Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 8:15 AM

Gosh, these buildings seem so alien to me now. Especially considering how drastically different modern designs are compared to them. Yet in a way, the towers seem futuristic. It's like looking at the monolith from 2001: Space Odyssey and being confused and in awe at the same time.

I think the only place that these towers "fit into" are where they look out of place. Definitely unique buildings that will always have their place in history. 1WTC is a good replacement, but definitely not a good duplicate of the power these towers had. Which probably is near impossible to duplicate anyway.

I hope that in the future, mankind won't harness the power of hate to bring destruction to the things that are irreplaceable such as the WTC towers and the people who worked within them.

Long live the WTC.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 8:41 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
1WTC is a good replacement, but definitely not a good duplicate of the power these towers had.
the new 1WTC alone is not replacing the twins, 4 new towers are. and if you include 7WTC, there are actually 5. not to mention if they build 5WTC ... then we have 6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Long live the WTC.
oh yeah!

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
the new 1WTC alone is not replacing the twins, 4 new towers are. and if you include 7WTC, there are actually 5. not to mention if they build 5WTC ... then we have 6.

When you put that way, it sort of make the site as a whole a little bit more special. It's actually ironic because that's what Yamasaki wanted to avoid: having an office building complex with towers that all look the same. But of course modern designers have the creativity to not make cookie cutter skyscrapers.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2011, 11:25 PM

I wonder what Yamasaki would have thought if he witnessed the destruction of his beloved towers, and saw the buildings, and plans that are replacing them if he was still alive today. Of course he isn't, because he died from cancer in 1988.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 12:47 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^How do you THINK he'd feel? His life's work, which in his mind is a monument to world peace, is destroyed in an act of violence, with people dying possibly because of his design decisions. Hell, Leslie Robertson is haunted by the whole thing, and he was just the structural engineer that enabled Yamasaki's vision.

Last edited by STR; Feb 27, 2011 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 2:43 AM

Well before Yamasaki died I remember reading online, and somewhere that if anything that he built was every destroyed he would reduce himself to building nothing. Or he said he would reduce himself to building only stubs.

Anyway I do remember from my readings why the original WTC was always a terrorist target in both the bombings of 1993, and their destruction on September 11th 2001. They were destroyed, because other people believed those two buildings were symbols of capitalism, and a symbol to the American economy. In case if anyone doesn't know why they were destroyed, but it is true that this building was a part of the American economy. At the time 50,000 people worked in, and out of the World Trade Center every day. It was a true symbol of our economy, and that is why I remember from a reading someone quoted was what led them to their fate. It was a horrible fate they said, but it was their fate. For the people that hated America, and the economics of America this was their target. They wanted to send these two buildings crashing down. They knew what these buildings meant, but from the person saying it a typical New Yorker like me just know it as a symbol of the New York, and the New York they love not an capitalistic building just a landmark, but what can you do about it they are just gone.

Those two buildings are the buildings that inspire me to become an architect like I said. Hopefully none of my buildings would suffer the fate the Twin Towers had suffered. As a person that wants to be architect any building to an architect is like their child, and if it gets hurt it hurts them. Now looking back it still hurts. The wounds are still there.

Last edited by Roadcruiser1; Feb 27, 2011 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 3:10 AM
Crane Goddess

Holy heck, Papabear! That model is amazing! I do 3d work in Poser, and I would love to have a model like that to play with- have my 3d figures interacting with it.

And I completely relate to an architect feeling almost paternal about their buildings. I've read an article where the interviewed Les Robertson, and it was obvious how much he hurt.
I wonder how Cesar Pelli felt, seeing his WFC towers after 9/11, so badly wounded?
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 4:02 AM

Yeah when you are an architect you work so hard to see your building get accepted, and then you work so hard to build it it's like giving birth to a masterpiece. It's difficult. You have to work everyday just to see it rise. It's hard. In the end you watch it grow, and when the work is finish you stare at it. You marvel it. It's marveled work. It is like your own child. You can't stand to see it get hurt. Civil engineers have the same mentality. If anything happens to their bridges they get upset too. Why is, because they spend the same amount of time putting in everything to see their work. No matter what, and I would like to get a masters in civil engineering if I ever get, and finish my masters in architecture.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2011, 7:39 PM

Video to my New York Drawing!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 10:48 AM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:26 PM
New Yorker for life

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/04...center-opened/

38 years ago, World Trade Center opened

April 4th, 2011

Quote:
Thirty-eight years ago Monday, the World Trade Center opened its doors.

At the time, the grandiose structures known as Building 1 and Building 2 were the tallest skyscrapers in the world.

New Yorkers' reaction to the towers were mixed. "Public sentiment ran from astonishment at the sheer size of the towers, to both thrill and dismay at their monolithic, modern design," according to WTC.com.

The story of the World Trade Center and the twin towers started in the 1950s, when New York’s financial kingpins envisioned the city as the world's commerce hub.

The plan for a megacenter, already ambitious at the time, was spearheaded by then-Chase Manhattan Bank Chairman David Rockefeller with the assistance of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

But those plans, as things do in New York, grew bigger and bigger.

Ground was broken in August 1966 on the $1.5 billion project, which comprised four other buildings, a hotel, a mall and a landscaped plaza.

Since its existence, the WTC was perceived as a symbol of Western dominance - and a target for enemies of the state.

– In 1993, a truck bomb was detonated below the North Tower. Six people were killed and 1,000 injured.

– In 2001, in the deadliest terrorist attack committed on American soil, 19 hijackers took control of two airliners and crashed them into the twin towers. More than 2,700 people were killed.

In the years since 9/11, several designs have been proposed to rebuild the World Trade Center. In April 2006, construction began on One World Trade Center. A WTC memorial is under construction with input from families who lost loved ones.

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 10:49 PM

My wtc calculator drawing(:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WTC!! WE MISS YOU!! <3
Im Roman Reyna and im 16. So i was bored in tech theatre class (like always) haha so i decided to draw the New York skyline with the WTC.

and heres a close up

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture