HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 1:25 AM

Twin Towers for ever!

I love the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center!
im so sad that i will never have a chance to see them in person!
god bless the lost souls!
and i know the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center are resting in heaven!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 6:32 AM
New Yorker for life

Windows on the World

ogmueller

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 10:05 PM
Crane Goddess

^Holy crap. Took me a minute to see that that was a panorama. A freaking cool one!
And an interesting fact- 55 Water st, also visible in that pic, is related to the WTC towers, by way of Emery Roth and sons. The Roth firm designed or consulted on literally hundreds of NYC buildings, great and small.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 8:09 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Damn, that panorama speaks for itself. The views from the original WTC will never again be duplicated. It gave a perspective of the city and surrounding areas that not even the new WTC1 will offer.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 6:23 AM

Yes though I can't wait to go up and see that view.I will miss the roof. But It will bring me back to the many times i stood up there looking down. It will be nice to see that in person again!.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 10:02 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Nice pano. Really shows that, towards the end, the aluminum panels really needed a cleaning. From what I can tell, that was planned for 2002-2003, along with the mall/plaza rehab.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2010, 10:52 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

They truly were amazing buildings. The rooftop observatory was probably the most unique ever built because it was the only place on top of a super-tall open to the public where there was nothing but air above you. Other outdoor decks such as on the Burj Khalifa, Taipei101 or even the ESB all have part of the building above them. If we in Chicago opened a deck on the roof of the Aon Center it would be the closest thing to imitating what the WTC rooftop deck had.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:06 AM
BANNED

People will hate me for saying this, but the twin towers were twin monstrosities. I of course mourned the loss of lives the same as everyone else, and if I could turn history back, I would obviously save the lives as well as the buildings that housed them. Desperate, ignorant people did violence to those buildings, but their architect did violence to art.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 3:50 AM
Crane Goddess

I beg to differ. From what I've read, Yamasaki did the best he could, to fit the requirements of the Port Authority's "program"- 10 million square feet of space in 16 acres of land. Yamasaki was used to much smaller, daintier buildings, and the WTC project pushed him waaay out of his comfort zone. However, he really did try, coming up with countless mock-ups before drawing a single page of blueprints. One single 150 story tower was simply too overwhelming. A cluster of shorter towers looked too much like a housing project. Two seemed to be the best fit, not being as overwhelming as the single tower, and leaving the site far less crowded than a cluster of short towers. As for their architectural styling, the architectural world was in a state of change at the time, and as I said, Yamasaki had never done anything remotely close to the scale of the WTC before. It's said that he may have been inspired by the Kaaba (sp?) in Mecca- the cube-in-open square concept, and the Twin Tower's pointed arches and roofline traceries have been likened to Islamic or moorish architecture as well as Gothic. He originally planned an even more elaborate design for the tower's facades, but scaled it back in response to critics enamoured of the stripped-down modernist style, who lambasted his use of ornament.

As for the Roth firm, they were not known for an aesthetic approach to architecture, focusing on efficiency- efficiency of floorplan, mechanical systems, elevators, and so forth, to make buildings that were economically successful. Richard Roth admitted as much in an essay "High-rise down to earth", where he stated that his firm produced functional, profitable buildings, not "monuments to posterity".

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 4:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I beg to differ. From what I've read, Yamasaki did the best he could, to fit the requirements of the Port Authority's "program"- 10 million square feet of space in 16 acres of land. Yamasaki was used to much smaller, daintier buildings, and the WTC project pushed him waaay out of his comfort zone. However, he really did try, coming up with countless mock-ups before drawing a single page of blueprints. One single 150 story tower was simply too overwhelming. A cluster of shorter towers looked too much like a housing project. Two seemed to be the best fit, not being as overwhelming as the single tower, and leaving the site far less crowded than a cluster of short towers. As for their architectural styling, the architectural world was in a state of change at the time, and as I said, Yamasaki had never done anything remotely close to the scale of the WTC before. It's said that he may have been inspired by the Kaaba (sp?) in Mecca- the cube-in-open square concept, and the Twin Tower's pointed arches and roofline traceries have been likened to Islamic or moorish architecture as well as Gothic. He originally planned an even more elaborate design for the tower's facades, but scaled it back in response to critics enamoured of the stripped-down modernist style, who lambasted his use of ornament.

As for the Roth firm, they were not known for an aesthetic approach to architecture, focusing on efficiency- efficiency of floorplan, mechanical systems, elevators, and so forth, to make buildings that were economically successful. Richard Roth admitted as much in an essay "High-rise down to earth", where he stated that his firm produced functional, profitable buildings, not "monuments to posterity".
That's all very interesting, but I think it just confirms my point.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2010, 6:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

that is the pano to end all
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago103 View Post
They truly were amazing buildings. The rooftop observatory was probably the most unique ever built because it was the only place on top of a super-tall open to the public where there was nothing but air above you. Other outdoor decks such as on the Burj Khalifa, Taipei101 or even the ESB all have part of the building above them. If we in Chicago opened a deck on the roof of the Aon Center it would be the closest thing to imitating what the WTC rooftop deck had.
The rooftop deck was 1377 feet. I am waiting for a deck at 2000 feet.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 2:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I recall my last trip to the WTC outdoor observatory, in 1994. The only problem was trying to get a good shot of the downtown cluster (which has always been my favorite collection of buildings anywhere, even trumping midtown). Still, it was a very vast space (perimeter walk open all around)...you could get quite close to the corners (there was, I think, a setback of a few feet to discourage jumpers).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 2:32 PM

One of the things unique and amazing was that you could, in effect, see the building you were standing on.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 3:05 PM
Closed account

Great Pano! Anyway's even though they were just plain boxes I really liked the facade. But now we have even better Trade Centers that are under construction.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 6:22 PM
Crane Goddess

Elysium, I disagree. You make it sound like the architects were intending to do something bad, or didn't care. Where I believe the architects were trying to do the best they could, under circumstances and demand of a "program" that probably would have been overwhelming to just about any architect, no matter how vaunted. After all, look at the Pan Am building. The developers thought they would have a winner- Get two of the most prominent modernist architects working for them, with a local firm who specialized in efficiency and economy of design. Walter Gropius and Pietro Belluschi worked together with Emery Roth and sons to design the Pan Am Building. The two "starchitects" would determine the building's looks, while the Roth firm made the insides functional and efficient.
We all know what the critics said of the Pan Am building, despite the pedigree of the architects who designed its face.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 9:33 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
(there was, I think, a setback of a few feet to discourage jumpers).
No, the setback was for the window washing robots. The razor wire was to discourage the jumpers.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 1:33 AM

just found this and apparently HK copied NY

http://www.laserist.org/Laserist/WTC...Faction_bi.jpg

some more

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Last edited by SkyscrapersOfNewYork; Dec 5, 2010 at 1:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 4:33 AM
BROOKLYN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
That style seems relatively recent. Does anyone know if that was there on 9/11?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 4:39 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^The "Peace on Earth" sculpture was put up during the holiday season every year after the 1993 bombing. Presumably, the sign was stored on-site from Januarary-November and destroyed in the collapse, but I don't have any concrete info. The mountain-like sculpture (Cloud Fortress by Masayuki Nagare) behind it did survive the collapse, but was torn down during the recovery because there was extra structural support built into the plaza in order to hold up the 5-ton steel and stone art piece, which made it a good place to site a crane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture