HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 3:52 AM

Wow. That photoset knocked me right on my ass.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 12:36 PM
The Vomit Bag.

cripes, those are damned fine shots. Love NYC 70s pictures.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 6:05 PM

A new Twin Towers design won't change much from the old one except with the use of stronger materials, and wider windows. The original Twins had too much steel, and too small of the windows due to Minoru Yamasaki's fear of heights. If there were new Twins they would have wider windows. Also building Twin Towers at the World Trade Center site nowadays is dead. It's not coming back down there, but if anyone has the land, cash, and the space for it somewhere in NYC, or in neighboring Jersey City I would say go for it.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
A new Twin Towers design won't change much from the old one except with the use of stronger materials, and wider windows. The original Twins had too much steel, and too small of the windows due to Minoru Yamasaki's fear of heights. If there were new Twins they would have wider windows. Also building Twin Towers at the World Trade Center site nowadays is dead. It's not coming back down there, but if anyone has the land, cash, and the space for it somewhere in NYC, or in neighboring Jersey City I would say go for it.

The so-called Twin Towers II proposal backed by such people as Donald Trump would have been taller, safer, and better, and more updated. I think they should have rebuilt the twin towers or a very similar, updated version of them. Definately not going to happen at ground zero now, due to the new WTC buildings. Theres always midtown I guess, but I dont see that happening either due to lack of space. Im afraid the Twin Towers are relegated to history at this point.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
After some google mapping, I've found what I'm pretty sure is the exact corner in this photo. Amazing how the area has changed.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=fairmo...00.56,,0,-1.54

Last edited by uaarkson; Sep 8, 2011 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanwtc View Post
Hey i am Roman Reyna, i am 16 years old and i love to draw the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center. I never got a chance to see them in person, so drawing them brings me closer to them. I still remember 9/11 as if it happened yesterday. i cant believe its now gonna be 10 years since the attacks. God bless all the lost souls. and i hope one day ill have a chance to see the twins in person. Here are a few pictures of my drawings.

this drawing took me a bout a year to finish, even with all the headaches i had a lot of fun working on it(:

heres a much closer look at the drawing with American international building

and heres another close up with the Woolworth building

and here i am holding my new york city drawing.
Your drawings are excellent Roman!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2011, 5:34 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

ABC NEWS

New 9/11 Tapes Show Desperate Search for Hijacked Planes
By BRIAN ROSS (@brianross) and RYM MOMTAZ
Sept. 8, 2011

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/911-au...ry?id=14471434

Quote:
For the first time, the full audio recordings of communications between military and civilian air traffic controllers as they were dealing with the hijackings on Sept. 11, 2001, have been made public. The multimedia document, published by the Rutgers Law Review, provides a rare real-time look at how government agencies were responding as the hijacking of the four planes was unfolding.

"We have a problem here. We have hijacked aircraft headed towards New York and we need you guys to, we need someone to scramble some F-16s or something up here to help us out," a worker at Boston Center's Traffic Management Unit said at 8:37 a.m., according to the recordings. No planes had struck any targets yet.

The official on the other end of the line, unaware they were minutes away from witnessing firsthand the worst terror attack in U.S. history, asked if it was all a test.

"No, this is not an exercise, this is not a test," the worker said.

While some of the recordings had been played during the 9/11 Commission hearings in 2004, other parts had not been heard before they were transferred to the National Archives after the commission was shut down the same year.

Another portion showed the abject horror from officials as they witnessed United Flight 175 slamming into the World Trade Center.

"Hey, can you look out your window right now?... Can you see a guy at about 4,000 feet, about five East of the airport right now?... Do you see that guy -- look -- is he descending into the building also?" one official asks another. Seconds after the person on the other end of the line says yes to all the hurried questions, the plane explodes inside the South Tower of the World Trade Center.

"Wow. Another one just hit it hard. Another one just hit the World Trade," someone says in the background of the recording. "Oh my God."

The 9/11 Commission staff had started compiling the recordings and transcripts into the multimedia document released today but had not completed it in time to be released with the 9/11 Commission report.

Miles Kara, a retired Army colonel and investigator for the 9/11 Commission, aided by a team from the Rutgers School of Law whose dean is former 9/11 Commission Senior Counsel John Farmer, dug out the original electronic files and completed what commission staff called the "audio monograph".

According to the New York Times, which first reported on the release of these recordings, one key tape remains unreleased: the recording from the last half hour in the cockpit of United Flight 93 that crashed in Pennsylvania instead of its intended target in Washington DC. Though it was played at the trial for one of the plotters, the families of the passengers who took on the hijackers requested the audio not be made public.

CLICK HERE FOR FULL RUTGERS REPORT AND AUDIO

Copyright © 2011 ABC News Internet Ventures.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2011, 8:09 PM

I think it's sort of odd that suddenly a lot of 'new' media is coming out that has been held on for 10 years. I'm not trying to be a conspirist, but I just wondered why some things took so long to be released. Like from NASA for example...

Video Link

The unedited version is actually pretty long but really interesting.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 12:49 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...r_work_of.html

John Duprey/N.Y. Daily News Archive
Construction workers on the top floors of the World Trade Center when the twin towers
were under construction. The twin towers were built in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 5:39 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Actually some of the material that are just now being released were previously featured in documentaries and such.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 7:44 PM
Basket Case

Here's a really nice interactive panorama of the WTC plaza from the New York Times.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2011, 11:51 PM
An Optimistic Realist

9/11: How the twin towers were built

Ten years ago they were still standing in the New York skyline. Remember 9/11 and the 3,000 who died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14634600

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 3:53 PM
Skyscraper Fan

9/11: 10 years

I will never forget what happened on 9/11. Still, to this day nothing can compare to the massive two towers that symbolized great power.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 4:18 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 6:39 PM

Remember the original and the new World Trade Center stands for world peace through world trade. To some people that is globalization, and even though we might think of the World Trade Center as a World Trade Center other people see this as a symbol of capitalism, and will do anything to take it down again like they did to the Twin Towers back in 2001.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 8:39 PM

Exclamation Never Forget 9/11!

I miss the Twin Towers and how things were before 9/11. I hate that a few extremists who will never represent more than a misguided, backward movement managed to do what they did on that day. I do take consolation in the fact that many ordinary Americans stepped up and did heroic things, and that the terrorists defeated themselves. We must always remember what happened on 9/11 and the incredible heroism and selflessness it brought out. The terrorists lost because their extremism failed and continues to fail.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2011, 2:11 AM
An Optimistic Realist

driving past the twin towers in 86

The first part of this video can give you the feel of driving in Long Island back in those days.
Video Link

Last edited by jd3189; Apr 26, 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2011, 4:12 AM
Fourth and Main

The video posted above by jd3189 is from 1989. It's not from 1986. Thank you for posting it.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2011, 8:14 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
The video posted above by jd3189 is from 1989. It's not from 1986. Thank you for posting it.
Oh. Thanks.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2011, 7:02 PM

Question Twin Towers Query

I have a question about the Twin Towers, I noticed when they were being built, they had a distinctive red colored steel that they used, and this was seen in some of the beams even when they were destroyed...My question is, both Towers had that distinctive gray color to them, what exactly was that? Was it some kind of paint they put over the red steel? Or was it just a foregone chemical reaction? Thanks

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture