HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Lexington Marriott City Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Lexington Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 1:51 AM

The new design looks like a mini version of Great American Tower in Cincinnati.

Hope it gets built.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 3:38 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

This tower is very sharp. This must be built!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 11:33 PM
Paramoderator

Love the office tower, the hotel is totally bleh. I miss the last design....

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:08 AM
Metal Up Your !

The new tower makes me want to cry. How can they not keep the earlier design :'(

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 4:27 PM

I''m probably in a minority here. I know we're supposed to like Gang. But I prefer the new design.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 5:53 PM

Gang had a dispute with the developers, The Webb Companies, so they dropped her. Personally I prefer the new design because it'll fit Lexington better. Looks like something from Vancouver, Toronto, or Chicago.

I'm wondering if this could be another case of the domino that maks others want to build. Downtown Lexington has turned around significantly in jsut the past 5 years and this could be the catalyst to kick it into overdrive.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:22 AM

I am very glad to see them going back somewhat to the original design which was the best. I feared the aquafresh toothpaste tower was going to get built.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 3:52 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Gang had a dispute with the developers, The Webb Companies, so they dropped her. Personally I prefer the new design because it'll fit Lexington better. Looks like something from Vancouver, Toronto, or Chicago.
No, it looks like something from Charlotte, Austin, or Nashville (no offense). It would be great for Lexington to get something unique, instead of a tower that would look at home in any number of cities. What "fits" Lexington doesn't really matter - the goal should be to get something that nobody else has.

Louisville had that opportunity with Museum Plaza, and Lexington had that opportunity with CentrePointe. Both cities squandered the chance.

That doesn't give the design a total pass, since it still needs to fit functionally into the city, with retail at the base, a good relationship to the street, etc.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2012, 4:08 AM
Future God

Not bad...but far more boring than the previous design.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 24, 2012, 2:23 AM
Chairman

This will be a nice fit for the Lexington, KY skyline.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 6:07 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Hey gents. Quick question - do we have any active forumers from the Lexington area? This seemed like the best place to post it, since it seems to be the only active thread of any kind related to Lexington. Fiance got offered the spot she was expecting at UK for her doctoral work... and I confess, I am dreading the thought. Was hoping some fellow urban enthusiasts could convince me my life is not over moving from Denver to Kentucky.

Neat building, what's the programming, just general office? Any idea of total square footage/ground floor retail square footage? Somebody should get out there and photograph the site for direct comparison to those renderings.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 8:18 PM

I went to UK for four years, now i'm in Chicago. It's definitely not a big city, but the downtown has good nightlife, art galleries, and restaurants. Plus when Keeneland season comes around and you get to dress up and got to some horse races and its 70 degrees in October, you'll be happy you're not in Denver. The Downtown Development Authority in Lexington does a good job and is working and creating a better live/work/play district around Rupp Arena too. Plus they are one of the best biking cities I've ever seen. It is a true built version of The Garden City, with a spoke wheel layout leading to the farms just outside. But also it was the first US city to mandate a building boundary (which places like Portland have since adopted), so sprawl can only go so far, and then by law the farms and bluegrass region are protected. This rule is helping to keep Lexington relatively dense, and should prevent future sprawl issues. Overall its a nice town, and if you don't like it, Louisville and Cincinnati are only an hour away!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:33 AM

I will be moving there in a little over a week from the Nashville area. I'll be keeping up with the goings up there and probably start a thread in the compilations side once I get settled.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2013, 7:27 PM
Website Manager

Old Posted Jan 2, 2015, 6:50 AM
Lexington, KY

LEXINGTON | CentrePointe | 29 FLOORS | ON HOLD

CentrePointe is residential, commercial, and retail project currently under development in Downtown Lexington, Kentucky. The current plan as of 2014 consists of a 18-story hotel-condominium tower, a 12-story apartment complex, and a 10-story office building.
CentrePointe is not yet in the process of being constructed. The original estimated time of completion was in 2010 as it was intended to serve as a centerpiece for business during the 2010 FEI World Equestrian Games. But, before the construction of CentrePointe began, many local residents objected the project as it meant the destruction of Morton's Row, the city's second-oldest commercial district, and a local hotspot called The Dame. In July 2008, the Fayette Alliance — a coalition of developers, neighborhood associations and farmers — revoked its support for the building, due to an apparent reluctance on the part of the developer to work with concerned parties in addressing various issues concerning the development.[2][3]

In addition to the controversy surrounding The Dame, the use of Tax Increment Financing for the development was debated. Initially concern centered on the application of taxpayer money without the inclusion of ideas from those taxpayers. This opposition arose mostly from a common misunderstanding of TIF, which utilizes the boom property tax value from a redevelopment project to fund improvements locally. The issue went before the city council in September 2008. The council voted in favor of utilizing Tax Increment Financing for the project due to the infrastructure improvements for the surrounding area including sidewalks and underground parking structures.[4]

On June 25, 2009, the process of seeding and filling the CentrePointe construction site began. On September 10th, 2013, EOP, the architecture firm behind the fifth iteration of the CentrePointe design announced they were pulling out of the project.[5] Preliminary construction began in December 2013 and blasting for the parking structure and foundation began on March 17, 2014.[6] The 700-space underground parkThe original plan in 2008 called for a 35-story, 550-foot-tall (170 m) high rise which would include a hotel, condominiums, retail and office space. The entire development is estimated to cost $250 million and would have became the tallest building in Lexington upon completion.[7][8] Since 2008 there has been 3 other designs. The first two suggested one large building that would have covered the entire block. But, after Studio Gang Architects became involved in the project in 2011, the latter two proposed designs have suggest one tower and several low rise buildings.[9]

Jeanne Gang, lead architect of Studio Gang Architects, was hired to draft ideas for the CentrePointe project in 2011. She proposed a 30 story tower which would include a 10 floor boutique hotel, 10 floors of apartments, 7 floors of condominiums and 3 floors of penthouses. Her design also called for an eight story building on the intersection of South Limestone St. and West Main St. along with a row of low rises on West Main St.[9]

In 2012, the Webb Companies released a design that resembled that of Studio Gang Architects. The proposed design included a 28-story hotel-condominium tower at the intersection of West Vine St. and South Upper St.;4 smaller buildings on West Main St.; and a low rise office building at South Limestone St. and West Main St.[10][11]

A revised 2013 plan downsized the main high rise to from 28 to 19 floors. It included a 286 room hotel along with 96 apartments and 10,700 square feet of retail space on the ground floor. The office building was planned to have 157,710 square feet of offices as well as restaurants and retailers. The development is estimated to cost US $393.9 million.[12]

The hotel-condominium tower was modified by architectural firm Rabun Rasche Rector Reece in 2014. A terrace on the 12th floor of the tower was added along with a more contemporary glass facade. The first 11 floors will serve as a 205-room Marriott hotel while the remaining 7 floors are reserved for condominiums and penthouse suites. The apartment complex, originally to be 7 floors, will now be 12 with retail on the first floor, 100 extended-stay suites on floors 2-5, and apartments on floors 6-12
ing garage is expected to be completed by late summer 2013.

Centrepointe Rendering
Lexington Pano
CentrePointe
Lexington Pano
Moving Crane

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 3:43 AM
Chairman

This thread should be in the highrise construction sub-forum. Ask a mod to move this thread.

-sb

Old Posted Jan 3, 2015, 4:51 AM

I lived in Lexington from 04 to 09 while I went to UK. I must say, this project has been, and still is, a complete failure from both sides. Just about everything that could go wrong here went wrong.

- I was thrilled to see the Dame itself go (not the building). When I worked at Fedex I would have to drive through Main St. in the middle of the night past that place. It was nothing but a bunch of college students getting drunk and running all over the place. I'm glad it's gone.

- I was and still am in full support of a tall tower, not a bunch of lowrises. All of the renderings since the first one don't do this lot justice.

- Although I support the tower, I didn't support demolition of the historic buildings facing Main St. In fact, a student at UK put together a plan that would have saved them while building the tower at the same time. I blame both sides for both the tower not happening and the buildings being torn down. They should have been left intact with Centre Pointe's base facing Vine.

- None of the renderings since the original are worth constructing, that includes the current plan. I'd rather have a whole in the middle of the city than that.

I don't see this having a happy ending. When everything is said and done I think the whole city will regret tearing down the historic buildings AND not building a tower larger than the 5/3rd Blue Building.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2015, 7:14 AM
Lexington, KY

These are the final renderings

7 by texdaniel, on Flickr
6 by texdaniel, on Flickr
5 by texdaniel, on Flickr
4 by texdaniel, on Flickr
3 by texdaniel, on Flickr
2 by texdaniel, on Flickr
1 by texdaniel, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
I didn't support demolition of the historic buildings facing Main St.

I don't see this having a happy ending. When everything is said and done I think the whole city will regret tearing down the historic buildings AND not building a tower larger than the 5/3rd Blue Building.
Anytime historic buildings that aren't totally decrepit and/or dangerous (e.g. if the foundations were built out of pure lead and asbestos LOL) are lost its not a good thing. I'm a big supporter of renewing old buildings that have architectural and urban character. That aspect of the planning on this is sad to hear.

However, you can't let that ruin the entire project. What is done can't be undone, but so long as this project is built as expected then the block will have been replaced with a massive project that is beautiful in its own right. The worst thing is when older buildings are destroyed and nothing replaces them, or some hideous strip mall goes up.

I rather like the clean, modern design and the multiple building aspect. Lexington is the type of city that a super tall may be a bit pre-mature. There's no harm in bulking up the downtown with more structures of value rather than trying to focus on one giant "new tallest" type building. I do think its sad that it had to replace older buildings, but in and of itself this project is very nice. Then again, I'm a fan of modern design. I tend to admire both older and newer architecture and have never really been turned off by either.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 3:17 AM

April, 2016

Work to start soon on interior walls for CentrePointe garage

Quote:
Construction crews have poured concrete for four columns of a three-story underground parking garage on the CentrePointe site in the last few weeks. Work will begin soon on the interior walls of the garage, CentrePointe developers said this week.

The three-story underground parking garage’s walls are nearly 34 feet tall, Webb said.

The garage will take approximately 8 to 10 months to complete, Webb said.

Webb said the Webb Cos. are relying on private financing for the construction but said a bond from the nonprofit arm of the Kentucky League of Cities could be used for the development that was originally slated to include a parking garage, hotel, office tower, apartments and restaurant and retail space.

The Kentucky League of Cities had previously offered to sell bonds for construction of the garage for the project that was announced in 2008. The sale of those bonds was placed on hold after new developers led by Matt Collins of Lexington announced in August 2015 that they were taking over the project. In late February, the group announced that it was backing out of the development after the city and the new developers could not come agree on building a new city hall on the site.

The city had issued an order in April 2015 for the site to be filled in because the city alleged then that no work had occurred on the project for 60 days. That order was set aside a number of times while the Collins group explored taking over the project. City officials have said that they will watch developments on the site closely and have not moved to enforce the previous fill-in order.

The city recently issued an extension on the building permits for the project as work continues. The site is privately owned. Besides money spent on attorney fees, no city money has been spent on the project.

“We have extended CentrePointe’s building permits for 30 days and continue to monitor progress at the site,” said Susan Straub, a spokeswoman for the city.
Quote:
CentrePointe developer’s revised timeline

March 2008: Initial plans for 40-story skyscraper unveiled

Summer 2008: Demolition of block at Main and Limestone begins

June 2009: Developer announces plans to plant grass in vacant lot

Summer 2010: Block used for festivities during FEI World Equestrian Games

Fall 2010: Project becomes hot topic in Lexington mayoral race

September 2013: Architectural firm involved in CenterPointe design pulls out

December 2013: Concrete barriers erected around site replacing temporary park

December 2013: Agreement struck barring construction stoppage more than 60 days

March 2014: First blasting work begins on the project

May 2014: Jeff Ruby Steakhouse announced plans for CentrePointe location

Fall 2014: Excavation work completed

March 2015: Shoring, footers and foundation for parking garage completed

August 2015: City leaders say an agreement has been reached with third-party to develop project.

February 2016: New developers back out of CentrePointe project.

March 2016: CentrePointe developer Dudley Webb releases a six-page letter, saying the project will resume.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive