HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:15 PM
New Yorker for life

This is arguably one of the best designs going for new skyscrapers in NY right now...

I can't really find anything negative about it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:22 PM
New Yorker for life

http://digital50.com/news/items/BW/2...manhattan.html

Jean Nouvel Design Unveiled for Hines Project in Manhattan

NEW YORK-(Business Wire)-November 15, 2007

Hines, the international real estate firm, announced today the formal selection of Paris-based architect Jean Nouvel as the designer of a new building slated for a key parcel in midtown Manhattan, adjacent to The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA). The preliminary architectural design was also released.

Nouvel's bold design will rise 75 stories from the 17,000-square-foot site between 53rd and 54th streets just west of MoMA. Currently, a mix of uses is contemplated for the building including: a 50,000-square-foot expansion of MoMA's galleries (levels two to five); a 100-room, seven-star hotel and 120 highest-end residential condominiums on the upper floors. The project will likely commence pre-sales in late 2008.

Nouvel's design maximizes the site while considering the city's zoning envelope. The proposed building's unique silhouette tapers as it rises to a distinctive spire. Its steel and glass facade reveals the diagrid structural design.

Gerald D. Hines, chairman of Hines, commented, "Nouvel's exciting concept has the potential to become an international architectural design icon."

The Hines firm has collaborated with Nouvel on both 40 Mercer in New York's SoHo neighborhood and on the C1 Tower currently under development in Paris.

Jean Nouvel has headed his own architectural practice, Ateliers Jean Nouvel, since 1970. His honors include the Gold Medal of the French Academy of Architecture, the Royal Gold Medal of the Royal Institute of British Architects, the Aga Khan Prize, honorary fellowships from the American Institute of Architecture, and France's National Grand Prize for Architecture. He was awarded Italy's Borromini Prize and Japan's Praemium Imperial Career Prize as well as the Wolf Prize, the Arnold W. Brunner Memorial Prize in architecture, and the International Highrise Award.

Among Mr. Nouvel's completed buildings are the Arab World Institute, Paris; Lyon Opera House; Cartier Foundation, Paris; Galeries Lafayette department store, Berlin; Lucerne Culture and Congress Center; Tours Conference Center; The Hotel in Lucerne; Andel office building, Prague; Nantes Justice Center; Dentsu Tower, Tokyo; museum of archaeology, Perigueux; and the technology center in Wismar.

Hines has been active in New York City since 1981, having developed six major buildings in midtown, including Philip Johnson's "Lipstick Building" at 885 Third Avenue. In addition to the recently completed 40 Mercer, Hines has three other residential projects underway in New York City including One Jackson Square in Greenwich Village. Hines also acquired three major office buildings in New York since 2003, including I.M. Pei's 499 Park, and currently manages more than 11.5 million square feet of office space in the area. For more information on Hines, please visit www.hines.com.

For information on this new project, please visit www.53W53.com.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:23 PM
World Machine

It's innovative and it's a supertall. What more can a city ask for.

"17,000 sqft", this'll be a skinny tower.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:35 PM

seriously?!? if this proposal does not happen, i will cry. Mr. Nouvel has given this city a beautiful gift in the form of this building.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:44 PM
Time/Space

Knowing NYC, I am sure people will fight it for whatever reason. Too tall they say.

But I am been positive about this one!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 9:52 PM

Something for y'all to chew on..

Now please don't anybody go counting floors or the height of this render (I drew it to roughly 1,050 ft). I have no inside info, and all I set out to do with this was get an idea for how it'd look on the skyline.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:04 PM

That's a view from CPW... I was just trying to imagine.
Thanks !

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:04 PM
World Machine

It'll balance the West side well with Chrysler, Citigroup, and TWT on the East.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:07 PM
Redhawkfan

Fantastic news! It looks awesome in the renderings, another peak for Midtown coming up

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:12 PM
Time/Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
That's a view from CPW... I was just trying to imagine.
Thanks !
I think is a photo taken from New Jersey, those little buildings at the front face Riverside Park.

Nice job kznyc2k. It is going to look fantastic.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Model with height references...

__

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:19 PM
Still cyber-converted fka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This is arguably one of the best designs going for new skyscrapers in NY right now...

I can't really find anything negative about it.
Agreed. In fact, I like it as much as Foster's awesome 2 WTC.

This tower is so far the best modern answer to the spired buildings of old.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post
I think is a photo taken from New Jersey, those little buildings at the front face Riverside Park.

Nice job kznyc2k. It is going to look fantastic.
Right. The image looks to have been taken around Edgewater or Cliffside Park. Trump Place is just out of view to the right.

And thanks for the compliment!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:20 PM
World Machine

Well from that height measure of the nearby Museum tower, It looks like this one could be between 1450'-1500'. (That's just my estimate).

It's appears the height of 2 1/2 Museum Towers stacked ontop of eachother. (588'+588'+294'=1470') Again, that's just my estimate.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:24 PM
Frigidus Maximus

It's Alive! Child's Original Freedom Tower Plan is ALIVE!!!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:27 PM

Wow, looking at NYGuy's diagram with the surrounding towers' heights written in, it looks like the Nouvel could be around 1300 feet tall! Here's how I figure:

The building to the west is roughly 500 feet. Now looking at the diagonal cross-bracing on the Nouvel, you can estimate that there are two complete "segments" of it plus the base, which looks to be about half the height of one cross-bracing segment. So figure 2 1/2 segments equals 500 feet, which makes for easy math---- one segment is 200 feet.

NOW, there are three full segments above the 500 foot mark, plus a crown which is a segment and change in height.. put it all together and I'm seeing a tower that easily hits 1300 feet!

And the best part about it is that it's a very slim tower. It could be a 500 footer and you'd still be able to call it slender.

Mmmm, bananas were made for times like these

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Fantastic!!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
The building to the west is roughly 500 feet. Now looking at the diagonal cross-bracing on the Nouvel, you can estimate that there are two complete "segments" of it plus the base, which looks to be about half the height of one cross-bracing segment. So figure 2 1/2 segments equals 500 feet, which makes for easy math---- one segment is 200 feet.

NOW, there are three full segments above the 500 foot mark, plus a crown which is a segment and change in height.. put it all together and I'm seeing a tower that easily hits 1300 feet!
It's definitely well above 1,000 ft. I'm thinking that the Chrysler graphic is either a reference to roof height, or a comparison of designs.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:34 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
Wow, looking at NYGuy's diagram with the surrounding towers' heights written in, it looks like the Nouvel could be around 1300 feet tall!

I'd love it to be that tall, but that diagram in the NY Post shows it only as tall as the Chrysler...

Either way, though... just imagine the view from the Top of the Rock!

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 10:35 PM
Frigidus Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's definitely well above 1,000 ft. I'm thinking that the Chrysler graphic is either a reference to roof height, or a comparison of designs.
I hope you're correct...

I ❤️ NY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive