HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 8:34 AM
low life in a tall place

HYLLIE | The Point | 110 M | 29 FL

Finally the Malmö Tower, located in the new neighbourhood of Hyllie, close to the bridge and CPH, has been approved.
The initial proposed height for this building was 180 meters, ie. ten meters lower then the current tallest in Malmö (and Scandinavia) - Turning Torso. But both the architects and the developers wanted to make it taller and finally the municipality has approved it at 216 meters. This will make it the tallest building in Scandinavia and Northern Europe - as well as the tallest residential building in Europe (not counting Russia).
The tower will be standing right next to one of the stations on the new train tunnel line that will link the whole of central Malmö with several stations to the bridge to Copenhagen, making the journey between the two Scandinavian cities even shorter than todays 25-30 minutes. The travel time between Hyllie (Malmö Tower's location) and CPH airport will be 12 minutes.

The tower will also be located next to one of the largest malls in Scandinavia, as well as the largest event/icehockey arena in Sweden.

Basic facts:

Project name: Malmö Tower
Height: ~216 meters / ~709 feet (to roof) / ~60 storeys
Area: 60.000 sqm
Scheduled construction start: summer 2008
Scheduled completion: winter 2010-2011
Developer: Annehem AB - http://www.annehem.se/
Architect: CF Möller (Denmark) - http://www.cfmoller.dk/

New renderings:

Location of Malmö Tower in Hyllie (completely new neighbourhood in the south of Malmö):

More images from CF Möller:

More info at:
http://www.annehem.se/document.asp?sid=114 (Swedish only)

Last edited by staff; Apr 8, 2007 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 8:43 AM
Downtology

Very nice. When does construction begin?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 8:46 AM
low life in a tall place

EDIT:
Malmö City's website indicates that the scheduled construction start is the summer of 2008.

Last edited by staff; Apr 8, 2007 at 8:53 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 10:48 AM

I like it !
Better than TT.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 3:04 PM
Everywhere all at once

Oh snap...Malmö does it again.

Cool design too, the only thing is...why situate it so far from turning torso?

That's not the way to form a skyline young city!

oh, and for us out there not on the metric system, whats 216 m. in feet please?

Last edited by NYC2ATX; Apr 8, 2007 at 3:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 3:15 PM
Honored Member

this is great news for Malmo , the TT was built to be left there alone.
for the best view of CPH cross the bridge in the future

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 3:21 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

That is a beautiful tower. I wanna live there.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 3:22 PM
passion for patterns

I don't remember seeing Hyllie when I was there. Any information on this neighborhood for us? Is it all multi family?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 4:12 PM
low life in a tall place

StatenIslander237,
While the politicians and planners here have started to like the concept of tall buildings, they aren't yet that familiar with the concept of skylines, it seems. I would as well rather see this tower in Västra Hamnen (where TT is), or in Nyhamnen (Malmö's only "skyline" area today, situated very close to Västra Hamnen).

Google is your friend. Just type in "216 meters in feet" and you'll get the result.
Malmö Tower will be 708.661417 feet tall.

Grumpy,
Actually TT is located close to where most other high-rises are in Malmö. It's quite close to Kronprinsen (south of TT), the Kockums HQ (in Västra Hamnen as well), as well as the high- and mid-rises in Nyhamnen (Slagthuset etc.).

arbeiter,
Well, you didn't see Hyllie because there's nothing there today.
It's just a huge construction site with a weird looking water tower in the middle. The reason why this area is being developed (it's located outside the current urban area of Malmö), is because of its key position between Malmö City and CPH airport and city. The new city tunnel train line will pass right below the Hyllie area, and there will be a station in the middle of the new development, just next to Malmö Tower.

Hyllie will probably have mostly Danish people living there, considering the proximity to Copenhagen.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 6:21 PM
The True Avatar

Although the tower does have some nice features. I for one do not think all that highly of it. Too me it looks as if were designed by IKEA. That is not meant to be a compliment either. Sorry, just my opinion.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 7:38 PM
YIMBY co-founder

I'm really liking it. Some of the earlier proposals (shorter ones) were far worse IMO. Hyllie is also looking damn sweet. New areas in Stockholm are all much smaller and still lacking true urbanity IMO. Let's see what happends in the future, a few proposals floating around for Stockholm (but none even close to getting built), some with the stated purpose of out-doing Malmö
My only reget in the project would be that it's just one tower. This would have been an excellent site for a cluster of 100m+ buildings.

Do you really think it's gonna be mostly Danes? That'd be both weird and cool at the same time. Would also show that there's a real market for expanding Malmö and tying the Öresund-metro closer together.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 8:20 PM
them bones

Ahh, out near that space alien water tower thingy.

Hard to say about the tower (the renderings are sketchy but i do like the overall massing), but I think it's great that this area is being substantially redeveloped. That area looked suprisingly suburban from the train from CPH 18 months ago when I was there. Nice to see something more dense and urban.

How much of this is new vs. existing?

Last edited by plinko; Apr 8, 2007 at 8:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 8:30 PM

Looks amazing.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 9:37 PM
Yippie Ka Yay!

Cool!

Contestant's answer: Because they have no balls to scratch?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 10:13 PM
low life in a tall place

Swede,
Many areas in southern Malmö, particularly the ones close to the bridge, have Danes as the largest group of inhabitants already. It seems like it's "the closer to the bridge (and DK), the more Danish inhabitants), thus the newly developed parts of Bunkeflostrand, the area around Hammars Park and Klagshamn have significant numbers of Danish families living there. My brother worked part time as a mailman last summer in Bunkeflostrand, and according to him there are neighbourhoods where all the mailboxes have Danish last names on them. The amount of cars with Danish registration plates in some parts of Malmö (including the city center) are striking as well.
The projections for the Hyllie area, along with the fact that it will be situated on top of the last train station in Sweden before the bridge and Denmark, indicates that this will be a mainly "Danish" area of Malmö.
The integration process is already well under way, which you really notice when you live in Malmö - but it's of course harder to notice if you live in another part of Sweden.

plinko,
See my post above - what you see on that sketch (apart from the city in the background, of course) is completely empty today, apart from the alien spaceship water tower. Although there are building cranes everywhere, and the City Tunnel is taking shape as well, as it goes from underground section to surface section in the middle of the Hyllie area.

Here are some live webcam images from the area, taken from the alien spaceship:

Towards NE:

Towards SE:

Towards SW:

I hope they can indicate how the area looks today. It's night time in Malmö at the moment of me posting these images, so they are pretty much black right now.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 10:16 PM
low life in a tall place

More images from the architects CF Möller.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2007, 10:18 PM
BANNED

Refined and minimalist, but not in a cold 60s or 70s sort of way. The complete antithesis of what is being perpetrated in Dubai. I like it!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2007, 10:20 AM
YIMBY co-founder

I'm sad to report that the tower is cancelled. The reasons given make it sound like caving into nimbys, and the nimbys were actually pretty quiet on this one! This is the second time a tower is cancelled for this site (some may remember the 275m Scandinavian Tower from about 5-10 years ago).
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 4:05 PM

Most of the complex is complete, but the tallest tower of them all won't be finished until 2017.

http://www.cowi.com/menu/project/Bui...o-suburb-.aspx

Quote:
The fourth and final stage includes the tallest building in Point Hyllie, The Point, a 110-meter high building, which is expected to be completed by 2017.

COWI performs technical consulting services for the engineering disciplines soil engineering and construction for the 110 meter high building, as well as consultancy for the BREEAM certification. The work is done in collaboration with Annehem and the architectural firm Krook & Tjӓder.
Renders:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 8:15 PM

Under Construction

5/30

DJaCoNDa

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive