HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 4:20 AM

I remember seeing such a random lineup of supertall amazing towers in the middle of nowhere in a dream once a few years ago. Was sure it would never happen in reality.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 4:27 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thskyscraper
Like a lot of ppl have said the UAE doesn't have as much oil as SA. The main reason is a lower population so they use less money giving people services.
They pump 2.7 million barrels per day, their extraction cost is about $7 per gallon, $65 per barrel...156 million per day profit, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That is just the UAE, not the other countries investing their riches. Saudi alone exports 5 or 6 times that, approaching a half/three quarters billion profit EVERY DAY. Add all the others...Persian Gulf outputs 22-24 million barrels a day at similar extraction costs...1.5 billion a day. Every day, all year. WTF do you do with it? Build Palm islands and the tallest building in the world.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
The building is still pretty much under wraps and who knows what'll happen, they might go ahead or not bother. One thing is certain though, it'll take ages to build because it's damac building it

Height - 460m
Floor count - 105
It looks like a cheater. I'd like to see the blueprint to know exactly where the apartments stop.

If it gets built, I'm afraid that the marina supertalls will form an architectural cacophony.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 10:08 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark
They pump 2.7 million barrels per day, their extraction cost is about $7 per gallon, $65 per barrel...156 million per day profit, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. That is just the UAE, not the other countries investing their riches. Saudi alone exports 5 or 6 times that, approaching a half/three quarters billion profit EVERY DAY. Add all the others...Persian Gulf outputs 22-24 million barrels a day at similar extraction costs...1.5 billion a day. Every day, all year. WTF do you do with it? Build Palm islands and the tallest building in the world.
First of all, who cares where they get their money.
Secondly we're talking about Dubai not the UAE in general. The UAE has plenty of oil but it's almost all in Abu Dhabi. Dubai's oil reserves are to run out in about 10 years.

The one thing I like about this strip is that ocean heights (the first one) and infinity tower bring some coherence to the area.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Your $3.00 gas is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to burn for them
That’s funny; I thought you guys buy most of your gas from Venezuela?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 7:00 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Lebanese take Princess sky-high

Lebanon’s Arabian Construction Company (ACC) has been awarded the main construction package on the Princess Tower, set to be one of the tallest buildings in Dubai. The 32-month contract, valued at AED 690 million ($188 million), calls for the construction of a 410-metre-high building overlooking Palm Jumeirah. Princess Tower will have 101 floors and six basements, with a total built-up area of 170,000 square metres. Turkey’s Zetas was awarded the foundations package last year. The client is Sharjah-based Tameer Holdings, which is 50 per cent owned by Saudi Arabia’s Al-Rajhi Group. The architectural consultant is the local Adnan Safarini.

Good that the main contract for princess was awarded, we should see some real construction soon then.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 7:09 PM

Good to see that it's a Lebaneese company, and not the entire country and its undustry have been blown to pieces by Israeli attacks. Also, seeing that Turkey is also involved, it's good to see that the guys are using "local" Middle Eastern companies for their work, which is a very good thing for that stressed part of the world.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2006, 7:30 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

ACC are involved with loads of towers in Dubai. I think they did rose rotana and a few others, don't know.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 12:36 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Updates from today.

The torch:

Princess Tower:

Infinity Tower

23 Marina

Ocean Heights II plot (probably just equipment for infinity)

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 1:54 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

And also Elite Residences:

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 3:00 PM
I'm usually right.

Eh, I think Dubai's growth and construction boom are impressive, but they are building so many super-talls than they're not even special anymore.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 7:41 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Princess tower:

The Torch

Ocean Heights:

Marina 101 plot:

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 7:49 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Actually this is still the tallest res tower. Since the main contract was awarded the construction of the structure should start soon hopefully. This'll be the first to rise.

ACC aim high

The contract for the construction of the world's tallest residential tower 'The Princess Tower' has been awarded to Arabian Construction Company (ACC).

An artist's impression of 'The Princess Tower'.

The 107 storey residential building will be located in Dubai Marina. The developer of this project is Sharjah-based Tameer Holdings and the value of the contract is Dhs 690 million.

'We thank Tameer for entrusting us with their signature project, which we commit to deliver to the highest standards, in line with ACC's recognized code of practice,' said Hassan Auji the General Manager of the ACC Dubai.

ACC was selected for this project due to its extensive experience in high-rise construction. The company has been associated with a number of skyscrapers in Dubai such as the 80 storey 333m tall Rose Rotana Suites Tower (the highest furnished apartment tower in the world) and DMCC's 70 storey 360m tall Almas Tower.

Sitting on a large 3,500 square meter plot in Dubai Marina, the Princess Tower will rise 414m with a total built-up area of 170,000 square meters. When complete the building will contain 750 luxury residential apartment units of two, three and four bedrooms along with duplex villas and penthouses. Once completed, the Princess Tower will replace the 323m tall Q1 Tower on the Gold Coast of Australia for the title of the world's tallest all-residential building.

Amenities at the Princess Tower will include swimming pools, a gymnasium, a children's day care nursery, a sauna club, a prayer room and a private car parking area for each resident in addition to a luxurious reception area. The completion date for this project is 2009.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 8:56 PM

They need to space the buildings farther apart from each other in my opinion. They are bold styles, but at least put some space between them!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
Once completed, the Princess Tower will replace the 323m tall Q1 Tower on the Gold Coast of Australia for the title of the world's tallest all-residential building.
Does that meant that Marina 101, which is supposed to be 415 m, is not all residential ?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2006, 11:46 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ It's actually 412m, and it's not residential, it's serviced apartments.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitefire777
They need to space the buildings farther apart from each other in my opinion. They are bold styles, but at least put some space between them!
I guess they are thinking of the future and trying to keep it dense.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 5:41 PM

If you want to have a lively atmosphere, better to keep them in a dense cluster.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2006, 6:06 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerokarma
I guess they are thinking of the future and trying to keep it dense.
The thing is though, this is not downtown. If these were office towers in the middle of a CBD then this type of density would be no problem but it's not. It's a residential district with people living there all the time, there needs to be some breathing space, some parks or something. Yes there will be loads of shops, cafes and restaurants in the marina but some green space would be nice. JBR is already way too dense (but maybe that's because all the towers look the same and they're also fat) and this area will have towers twice as high.

Maybe Emaar just wasn't expecting developers to come along and build 100-storey towers when they designated the plots in this area as unlimited in height. If they spread the tallies around the marina then you wouldn't have all the towers blocking each other's views (this is important because these are res towers). Also some other problems would be avoided like traffic or risk of a fire, etc. Imagine if one of these supertalls caught fire, having 10 more 1000 footers right next to it isn't going to be the best.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2006, 4:25 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Imagine standing in this location in 5 years. There will be towers twice as tall as these ones.

About the proximity I know lots of people wouldn't give a shit. For example I'd definitely be happy to have one of these apartments as long as I could afford it and the building itsself was well maintained, if I had no views because of the tower in front it wouldn't matter too much. You don't spend most of your time looking out the window anyway
Thing is though, there are still people who do care about these things and feel unconfortable either being surrounded by other towers so they should be a little more spread out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive