HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 1:30 AM
National Capital Region

a couple of higher res versions of the renders from the planning rationale
http://www.trinity-group.com/propert...one-loretta-2/

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 2:59 AM

That looks incredible to me. I love the industrial loft style podium on the main tower. Nice treatment for the mechanical floors. It's hard to tell where the balconies are, but they seem to be very small.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:14 PM

I really wish we could have some dense clusters of buildings, one day.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi-Fon View Post
I'm glad they'll bring height, but damn! The tallest one is atrocious.

Edit : Actually, the windows remind me of towers I used to build in Minecraft.
I actually really love this proposal!!!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 6:27 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I really wish we could have some dense clusters of buildings, one day.
LRT will lead to this eventually over time. Being on the lines will be more valuable than not, and the corridors will densify as demand increases. It'll take time but eventually it'll come through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I love the industrial loft style podium on the main tower.
Seconded.

Old Posted May 5, 2019, 8:29 PM

interesting tid-bit:The trinity website used to have a completion date of 2024 for this project. There's no date anymore

http://www.trinity-group.com/propert...one-loretta-2/

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 3:40 PM

Height reduction. I don't mind the change in height, but would welcome a redistribution of floors for more variety ( something like 39, 32 and 27).

Quote:
Trinity drops height at planned Gladstone Station mixed-use development

Craig Lord, August 23, 2019
OBJ

Plans for Trinity Development Group's three-tower complex near the future Gladstone Station

Trinity Development Group is lowering the planned height of its proposed apartment complex next to the future Gladstone Station, according to updated plans filed Thursday with the city.

The developer, which is partnering with CLV Group and PBC Real Estate Advisors on the mixed-use project at 951 Gladstone Ave. and 145 Loretta Ave., is now planning three towers at heights of 35, 33 and 30 storeys. The original plans also called for buildings at 35 storeys and 30 storeys, but also included a 41-storey highrise.

Each building will include a podium for office and retail space. Of the more than one million square feet of space included in the development, some 789,000 square feet will go towards residential use, with a total 745 units planned between the three towers.

Two levels of underground parking will allot for 521 parking spaces on the site, which is located directly next to the planned Gladstone Station as part of phase two of Ottawa’s light rail transit.

Trinity also has plans for three highrise towers farther down the Trillium Line at 900 Albert St., next to Bayview Station. Those towers will feature heights of 65, 56 and 27 storeys containing more than 1,200 apartment units.

When the Gladstone Station plan was first announced at Ottawa’s Economic Outlook last November, Matthew Laing – Trinity’s senior vice-president of development and planning – said the close proximity to the LRT lines was a strong point in the proposed development’s favour, adding that the developer wasn’t concerned about an oversaturation of housing in the area.

According to Kitchissippi Coun. Jeff Leiper, there will be an open house to discuss the proposed development on Sept. 10 at the Hintonburg Community Centre at 6:30 p.m.
https://obj.ca/article/trinity-drops...se-development

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:00 PM

Anticipating a slowing market?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Anticipating a slowing market?
That'd explain why the 900 Albert are no where to be seen

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:36 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
That'd explain why the 900 Albert are no where to be seen
Was the 900 Albert site not mostly dependent on an NHL arena across the street?

Don't mind the height reduction on Gladstone but would like to avoid three buildings at the exact same height if possible.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Was the 900 Albert site not mostly dependent on an NHL arena across the street?

Don't mind the height reduction on Gladstone but would like to avoid three buildings at the exact same height if possible.
Right, I would rather have 2 towers, one very tall and the other 27-30 than another cluster of 30ish. I’m always puzzled how people always object the height of towers and not the fact they’re so concentrated.

I also noticed the crane just beside the Clarisse plaza cluster. Yuk.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 12:28 AM

IMO this development is much improved by the second submission. I won't comment on the height change, because its not my thing and frankly I don't really care... at least there is still some variation.

What I will comment is the huge improvement to the site plan. First, they've removed the pointless pedestrian bridge, as well as the loading dock to the Standard Bread building. In place of these is a proper transit plaza and better integration with the MUP on the west side of the Trillium Line. This will greatly improve the street-level pedestrian experience at the station and in front of the development.

Second, they've separated the north tower from the rest of the development (it used to be connected by a lobby and strange terrace). In between the north tower and the rest of the development is another plaza that serves to better connect Loretta Avenue with the MUP and Gladstone Station. It also preserves the possibility of a future pedestrian bridge over the trench in-line with this plaza - as proposed by the 2014 draft CDP.

You'll also notice they've taken the podium of Tower 1 (the south tower) and kept it relatively consistent throughout Tower 2 and Tower 3. Unfortunately the windows of the south podium are a bit simpler and a little less aesthetically pleasing (the north podium still has fancy windows). Overall I'd say the podium and site plan are much improved - and that's what most people are going to see when using Gladstone Station.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 10:23 PM
National Capital Region

Thanks for the summary!!

here is the Devapps link with the revised plans
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__A8G2W9

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Thanks for the summary!!

here is the Devapps link with the revised plans
https://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans...appId=__A8G2W9
At a meeting earlier this month with current tenants, demolition of existing buildings is not expected to take place until 2022 due to Trinity concentrating on existing projects.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 6:24 PM

I wish there were more differences in the heights and looks of these three towers. As is, it will look like a CP I, II and III.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 9:56 PM

I agree that the Great Wall of Claridge is awful but this project is not that bad. There is an almost 30% difference in height between the tallest and shortest towers. That should provide enough variety visually IMO.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxTown View Post
I agree that the Great Wall of Claridge is awful but this project is not that bad. There is an almost 30% difference in height between the tallest and shortest towers. That should provide enough variety visually IMO.
That is an old rendering, they are now 130m, 123m, and 109m, only a 15% difference in height between the tallest and shortest:

I still think the project height is fine though.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 10:05 PM

Oh shoot, I didn't realize these got chopped. I took the rendering from the devapp link above assuming it was up to date. Still not bad as shown though.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 2:29 PM

Quote:
LRT the ‘driving factor’ in Trinity’s planned residential builds in downtown Ottawa
BY: David Sali

*snip*

A few hundred metres farther south, Trinity is partnering with CLV Group and PBC Real Estate Advisors on a 745-unit apartment complex at the corner of Gladstone and Loretta avenues, near the future Gladstone LRT station.

The proposal calls for three towers of 35, 33 and 30 storeys with a mix of residential, retail and office space.

Laing says the developers are still trying to figure out how to integrate the heritage Enriched Bread Artists building at 951 Gladstone Ave. into the proposal, but he says he expects a site plan to be filed early in the new year.

“We’re diligently working on that,” Laing says.

The executive says Trinity founder John Ruddy had company officials study all the proposed LRT lines years ago to identify possible nearby development sites. Those efforts are paying off, Laing says. “We’re really excited about what’s going on in Ottawa right now.”

If both projects come to fruition, they would add more than 2,000 new rental suites at two sites less than a kilometre apart. Laing says he understands fears that the developments will flood the market with excess units, but adds he thinks the neighbourhood can absorb the inventory.

“It’s always a concern, but we believe in the market,” he says. “The market will obviously dictate at the time when these are launched, what is ultimately feasible and what is not. That’s why we’ve phased these projects … so that we can adjust as necessary. We’re confident that we can fill these sites.”
https://obj.ca/article/lrt-driving-f...owntown-ottawa

Site plan expected early next year. This seems to be 3rd on Trinity's list of priorities after Rideau+Chapel and Trinity Station at Bayview.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:13 PM

Heritage committee approves heritage designation on former bread factory. Going to planning committee January 23. Trinity is expected to remove the white paint (soon?)

From Kate Porter's Twitter feed.

Quote:
At built-heritage sub-cmte today: designation for the old bread building that houses artists on Gladstone. Trinity has applied to build towers & retain bread building. Planner Lesley Collins says it's her longest running file at #ottcity, on her desk for 9 years. #hintonburg
Quote:
Collins says the building that once housed the Standard Bread Company Bakery, co-owned by G. Cecil Morrison (Jean Pigott, Grete Hale and Gay Cook's father), is a rare example of early 20th century industrial. A landmark on the small hill beside the railway tracks. #ottcity

Quote:
.@HintonburgCA asked for the designation. Linda Hoad says she worries the artists will be displaced. "We owe those artists," she says. If @enrichedbread hadn’t occupied it since 1990, the building might have been subject to demolition, Hoad says. #ottcity #kitchissippi

Quote:
Trinity's proposal for the 3 towers on the O-Train will go to planning committee in the new year. Originally this heritage designation and that application were to be ready for the same meeting. BG: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ecca-1.4899037 … #ottcity
Quote:
Changes to the bread building will need to come back before built heritage sub-committee. Trinity is expected to take off the white paint. The sub-committee approves the heritage designation, and it goes to planning committee January 23. #ottcity
https://twitter.com/KatePorterCBC/st...10673566015488

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa