HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Physics dictates otherwise.
I think you missed the point there...

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:12 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I think you missed the point there...
Nope.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:56 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Maybe the Province should add drifting as a requirement for driving training courses!
Haha, I like it!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2014, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Unfortunately from my understanding, the lights at Waverley are to remain in place, to allow NB vehicles from Waverley to make a left onto 100. I also recall hearing of a near-term plan to install new lights at Brady Road which, if true, would make for three traffic lights in a very short stretch.
Ugh. I would insert the requisite complaint, but that is becoming cliche by this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
My personal "worst intersection on the Perimeter" award goes to west bound Wilkes and south bound Perimeter. The "merge" lane is extremely short and after a 180 degree turn making it virtually impossible to be fully up to speed when you merge.
I agree with your choice of intersection but would change the orientation to northbound Perimeter. The intersection at Oak Bluff creates a plug of cars that does not resolve itself by Wilkes, leading to no room for cars merging northbound that either a) do not have the power or room to accelerate up the incline, or b) exhibit a near perfect contingent of drivers who are too defensive to use their gas pedal assertively. I have sympathy for drivers attempting that merge, but I believe (b) plays a critical role that is often overlooked.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Unfortunately from my understanding, the lights at
At this rate, the south perimeter will soon be no better than any major city route, and will require a speed limit reduction to cut down on traffic accident fatalities.

Good! We'll have more money for a Kenaston freeway!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
add to that the always congested Lagimodiere Boulevard (Lag at Dugald usually backed up between 7AM-7PM daily) which should have been upgraded to six lanes a decade or two ago.
No! We need three-stack roundabout interchanges at Fermor, Dugald, and Regent(or even better, four-stack), and widening Lagimodiere will only delay that!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 3:29 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
No! We need three-stack roundabout interchanges at Fermor, Dugald, and Regent(or even better, four-stack), and widening Lagimodiere will only delay that!
Oh my god... I thought Robert Moses was bad.

Dude, this is the worst idea ever. You can't even justify this using your own formula from the other topic, nevermind the actual money in:money out argument.

How would the City pay for these projects? Would they be paying for them with the time saved by everyone using them?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2014, 10:24 PM

think of all the tax money winnipegers give and what do we recieve? people laugh at rob ford ive been to toronto enough times to know hes been doing crazy things the right way winnipegers and manitobans are slow to change and dont complain thats why nothing gets done and fermor and lag best would be a parlico with the light on fermor

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 4:33 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
think of all the tax money winnipegers give and what do we recieve? people laugh at rob ford ive been to toronto enough times to know hes been doing crazy things the right way winnipegers and manitobans are slow to change and dont complain thats why nothing gets done and fermor and lag best would be a parlico with the light on fermor
Rob Ford has been spending cheap money with deficit driven financing. Over 60% of the 2014 capital spending has been debt financed (to the tune of almost 1 Billion dollars). And he calls himself a fiscial conservative.

When the next mayor comes in and has to clean up the mess (both PR and fiscial dip-shittery) they will be blamed.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 10:09 PM

ya but he dips and makes a defict you can see the work how big is winnipeg debt and what do we have?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 2:29 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
ya but he dips and makes a defict you can see the work how big is winnipeg debt and what do we have?
On a per-capita basis? Higher than Toronto, but much much lower than the MTA. And I'm not for or against what Winnipeg has, I was merely pointing to the fact that people who follow RoFo should know his fiscal track record. (Hint: it's not very conservative)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Oh my god... I thought Robert Moses was bad.

Dude, this is the worst idea ever. You can't even justify this using your own formula from the other topic, nevermind the actual money in:money out argument.

How would the City pay for these projects?
How would they pay to widen the roads?

Eventually we will need overpasses at those roads, whether we widen the road or not. If we widen the road it is going to cost a lot more. Once the Kenaston, and St Mary's Roads have their traffic problems fixed, I'm sure it won't take long to get enough money to pay for those overpasses. Just a 2.5 cent per litre gas tax is able to make $50 million in a year in Manitoba. I'm sure a roundabout interchange won't cost much more than $200 million. So a five cent gas tax + 6 years = Lagimodiere traffic problems fixed for a long time.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Once the Kenaston, and St Mary's Roads have their traffic problems fixed
Once the Kenaston and St Mary's Roads have their traffic problems fixed, traffic will increase (due to available supply) and in a couple of years will be as "bad" as it is now.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:13 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
How would they pay to widen the roads?

Eventually we will need overpasses at those roads, whether we widen the road or not. If we widen the road it is going to cost a lot more. Once the Kenaston, and St Mary's Roads have their traffic problems fixed, I'm sure it won't take long to get enough money to pay for those overpasses. Just a 2.5 cent per litre gas tax is able to make $50 million in a year in Manitoba. I'm sure a roundabout interchange won't cost much more than $200 million. So a five cent gas tax + 6 years = Lagimodiere traffic problems fixed for a long time.
Excellent! Now you are talking about actual money not time saved.

Sell a 5 cent gas tax to someone. The province had trouble with a 1% PST increase, do you think they'll go for an additional 5 cents on gas?

Further, this doesn't take into account the fact that when we tax gas, it actually creates a preverse incentive for our province to actually want us to drive more.

Now before anyone wants to hit me (which it may be too late for) I want to say that I don't know the answer to how we should fund infrastructure, all I do know is that our current system is broken.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:25 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Once the Kenaston and St Mary's Roads have their traffic problems fixed, traffic will increase (due to available supply) and in a couple of years will be as "bad" as it is now.
Roads manufacture cars. I've heard this before, just have not seen it proven scientifically.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Just a 2.5 cent per litre gas tax is able to make $50 million in a year in Manitoba.
Gasoline taxes don't go towards road construction, they go into general revenue. Which means more social workers and administrators, or whichever union is sucking hardest on the government at the time.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Which means more social workers and administrators, or whichever union is sucking hardest on the government at the time.
It would seem pretty dumb to not provide enough social workers if there are people in dire need of help, but that's an argument for another thread.

Maybe it's time to jack up the fuel tax. It has gone up once in the last 21 years... from 11.5 to 14 cents a litre back in 2012. Considering the pump price of fuel has almost tripled in that time, a tax of 25 to 35 cents a litre would seem more reasonable. That would certainly help pay for road improvements while simultaneously reducing demand for road space by encouraging people to drive less.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 7:18 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That would certainly help pay for road improvements while simultaneously reducing demand for road space by encouraging people to drive less.

Haha, yer funny.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Roads manufacture cars. I've heard this before, just have not seen it proven scientifically.
Wired magazine talks about one study:

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-tr...social_twitter

Old Posted Aug 1, 2014, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
Wired magazine talks about one study:

http://www.wired.com/2014/06/wuwt-tr...social_twitter
Very interesting. I don't think most roads in Winnipeg have the potential for this, but some do!

Last edited by njaohnt; Aug 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan