HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 11:06 PM

Amanita

No matter how heartfelt a comment may be, there is always the possibility that someone might misinterpret what you're saying.

Your eloquent post above shows that you're a caring person and sympathetic to other people's suffering.
It would be very sad if you felt the need to censor yourself.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 12:44 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Amanita, there is nothing harsh or offensive about your words. Remember too that people pretend to be all sorts of things on-line.

-----

The two towers had a kind of magic power on the imagination - in part because of their huge size, but also because of their "twin-ness". Up close, I never really cared for them. Their scale felt dehumanizing to me. They were bulky too.

But they were a real anchor to the Downtown skyline, and it still feels wrong to me now when I gaze southward and can't find them on the horizon.

Last edited by wrab; Oct 19, 2010 at 5:19 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:37 AM
Crane Goddess

I think these people WERE 9/11 family members. In the years since 9/11, I have participated in many discussions about the future of the WTC site, and some of those discussions have included family members of those lost on 9/11. Many of those discussions were actually positive- I remember discussing and debating the merits of a memorial park proposal with one of them, after they posted an idea that they had. All of us got along very nicely- no personal attacks, name-calling, or harsh words. Just civil discussion and debate.

Unfortunately on a travel forum I'm on, a couple of 9/11 relatives seem to have taken it upon themselves to arbitrate all things regarding 9/11 and the WTC site, and respectful treatment thereof.
I asked about the etiquette of visiting the site, wanting to show proper respect and not step on anyone's toes. The subject of praying came up, and I stated honestly that I could not just go to St Paul's chapel to pray, as I am Pagan. (It would be disrespectful to offer prayers to non-christian gods in a christian church) I also asked if people still left offerings at the fence, as I was thinking of doing the same- perhaps an offering of incense, something small and consumable that would not leave litter behind.

I got branded an attention-seeker who was looking to be provocative and cause trouble, just for saying that.

I bear no ill will to the 9/11 families as a whole, nor to anyone else who suffered on that day, or who still suffers. Because I know that not all of them are like the pair on that forum, that many of them just want to mourn their own losses and live their own lives, and leave the rest of us in peace.

But it burns me up when I see people who take it upon themselves to be the sole arbiters of what's acceptable and right concerning 9/11, that their method of coping or mourning is the only proper and acceptable way, and anyone who handles things differently or expresses ideas that they don't agree with is automatically disrespectful, wrong, and must be punished for their thoughtcrime.

It saddens me that in some people's eyes, we've gone from extreme openness (the day we all became new yorkers) to protectionism and isolationism (Your 9/11 trauma wasn't bad enough to merit your having an opinion, hands off and shut up!)
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 20, 2010, 10:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Original photos posted no longer available, so a few more...

The U.S. National Archives

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 2:10 AM
Crane Goddess

^Nice pics!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 11:27 AM
don't *meddle*...

just pure domination...

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 2:53 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
For the longest time, I was never sure if I had ever reached the top of the World Trade Center.

I was maybe 6-7 years old at the time. This was way before my brief skyscraper craze, when I absolutely adored the Empire State Building. Weirdly enough, I had never even heard about the World Trade Center back then, and I had trouble believing there were not just one, but two buildings taller than the ESB. Even after my visit to the top of the WTC, I couldn't even remember the towers whatsoever.

I certainly was told that I had indeed reached the top by my parents. And I remember seeing 5 World Trade Center at ground level in my memories. I even remembered the stupid tourist-targeted crap at the top floor, such as the "let us take a picture of you and stick you in front of a digitally-produced background" kind of stuff. But the towers themselves? I have no recollection of them whatsoever.

But I also remember this: I remember being able to dangle my feet while sitting at the edge near the windows, as in the picture above.

So now I can finally assure myself that yes, I had indeed reached the top once.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 12:48 PM
New Yorker for life

I still remember the day I first realized that the Twin Towers were taller than the Empire State. And this from standing street level, closer to the ESB. Wasn't old enough to fully comprehend just how at the time, but I knew it.

The thing about the outdoor deck is that you weren't able to get close to the edge like the indoor deck. So both offered unique perspectives.

Lars Plougman

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2010, 5:44 PM
Editor

Has anyone posted this great video link? http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...2053682639810#

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 2:20 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Love those rare photos of the WFC and BPC under construction.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 4:37 AM
Metal Up Your !

Amazing pictures. Wish I had gotten to see them too :/
I'm excited for the new WTC though. I will make sure to see that in person, no doubt.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 6:12 PM
What could go wrong?

I know that there are a lot of buildings in the world now that are taller but the Twin Towers seemed to have a presence like no other building has today. The monolithic massing and sheer verticality of the towers and dominence of their surroundings.....awesome.

I love looking at pictures of them, i only wish i could have visited them in person.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 7:03 PM

It would have been so great to see these buildings grow and mature for years in the New York City skyline.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2010, 3:02 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 12:25 AM

9/10/01 this sent a chill through my body

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 12:30 AM
DENNAB

As much as I have come to terms with the new WTC, they will not be nearly as big, powerful, and amazing as these buildings were,

RIP WTC

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
As much as I have come to terms with the new WTC, they will not be nearly as big, powerful, and amazing as these buildings were,

RIP WTC
SAME THING IVE ALWAYS SAID

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 12:43 AM
Fourth and Main

I love the construction photos! The WTC is often seen on the TV show Fringe on Fox 5. It is my favorite TV show. You can also see Antoni Gaudi's Hotel Attraction on New York City's skyline.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 5:05 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbandit View Post
SAME THING IVE ALWAYS SAID
Here here! Long live the Twin Towers! For me, the "new" WTC will be nothing more than just another building...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 9:39 AM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I love the construction photos! The WTC is often seen on the TV show Fringe on Fox 5. It is my favorite TV show. You can also see Antoni Gaudi's Hotel Attraction on New York City's skyline.
yeah, i just love the ny skyline in the alternate universe!
... and who knows, maybe all the new WTC towers are already finished in another parallel universe.
... and maybe walter can open a new hole, and olivia finds herself in the freedom tower!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture