Cat Enthusiast

Panorama of the new SEC (Science and Engineering Complex) Quad

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 2:19 AM
Closed account

Nice pano.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 2:22 PM

Is that a Shelby building?
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 4:22 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingyak View Post
Is that a Shelby building?
Paid for by Shelby, and connects to Shelby Hall, yes.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabadrock View Post
The similarities are interesting in comparing it with the Shelby Center on Auburn's campus. I haven't seen the one at UA in person so I'm only judging by your pano though.
"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work. Remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die."

Old Posted Oct 19, 2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Paid for by the people of the United States of America.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2009, 12:22 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingyak View Post
The similarities are interesting in comparing it with the Shelby Center on Auburn's campus. I haven't seen the one at UA in person so I'm only judging by your pano though.
They are strikingly similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Heights View Post
Paid for by the people of the United States of America.
Pretty much yes.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 6:38 PM

UA will introduce its plans for memorializing the Stand at the Schoolhouse Door at Foster Auditorium next week.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 7:18 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Also, the CW reported today that an Apple Store will open up in the Ferguson Center next month.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2009, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Also, the CW reported today that an Apple Store will open up in the Ferguson Center next month.
Reading the article, I could not understand whether this will be a separate store inside the Ferg or simple an enclave of the Supe Store. I'm guessing this isn't a full store since there are only going to be two part-time salesperson and 1 full-time service person. Still, the location pretty much limits the customer base to university students and staff. Maybe this a test drive by Apple to see if they could open a full-size store here down the road.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 12:28 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Reading the article, I could not understand whether this will be a separate store inside the Ferg or simple an enclave of the Supe Store. I'm guessing this isn't a full store since there are only going to be two part-time salesperson and 1 full-time service person. Still, the location pretty much limits the customer base to university students and staff. Maybe this a test drive by Apple to see if they could open a full-size store here down the road.
It sounds like it's gonna be a separate store. Though, it does sound like a glorified kiosk.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 11:42 AM
(Go7SD)

Quote:
Panorama of the new SEC (Science and Engineering Complex) Quad

That's a real cool pano of the building...I've done a few myself. I love panorama photos. Btw, will architecture courses be held in this new building? just wondering since I am trying to pursue this field.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 5:25 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy McDowell View Post
That's a real cool pano of the building...I've done a few myself. I love panorama photos. Btw, will architecture courses be held in this new building? just wondering since I am trying to pursue this field.
Possibly, it the "Science and Engineering Complex" so I'm assuming that some architecture would take place.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 6:25 PM

Unless things have changed in the last few years, Bama doesn't have an architecture program, but does have civil engineering.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2009, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy McDowell View Post
There's no architecture program at UA. In state, you should look to Auburn.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 5:33 AM

I also reread the CW article about the Apple Store. You'll notice it says the store will be an Apple Authorized Campus Store. If you search the internet, you'll find out that Apple Authorized Campus Stores are not the same thing as Apple Retail Stores. From reading about Apple Authorized Campus Stores at other schools, it appears this indeed will be nothing more than an expanded kiosk (inside the Supe Store itself).

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 1:58 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I started this convo I think in the Tuscaloosa thread, I figured it would be more appropriate to continue it in this thread.

Anyways, I was suggesting that considering the growing population of the University, something is going to have to be done for transit once the school simply becomes too big for the campus roads and sidewalks to handle.

In the future, I think it would be a good idea to look into what they have at West Virginia University in Morgantown: Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit

Andrew T...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 6:57 PM
Cat Enthusiast

It's rumored that the university is going to construct a new baseball stadium out by the river. Anyone know or heard anything about this?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:23 PM

Quote:
I started this convo I think in the Tuscaloosa thread, I figured it would be more appropriate to continue it in this thread.

Anyways, I was suggesting that considering the growing population of the University, something is going to have to be done for transit once the school simply becomes too big for the campus roads and sidewalks to handle.

In the future, I think it would be a good idea to look into what they have at West Virginia University in Morgantown: Morgantown Personal Rapid Transit

Andrew T...
The Morgantown PRT System is very cool but I think the effectiveness is related to the completely unique situation of separated campuses and physical orientation of the city. You're definitely right though that Tuscaloosa should be looking into an alternative transportation system.

You know...those are some really poorly designed stations, considering how limited build-able space is in Morgantown, they sure did devise some real estate hungry stations.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 8:29 PM

Quote:
It's rumored that the university is going to construct a new baseball stadium out by the river. Anyone know or heard anything about this?
Seems unlikely since extensive renovations were done to the current stadium not too long ago. Also, where would this stadium be placed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast