HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:59 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

We should just copy the United Kingdom. All provinces with devolved parliaments, except Ontario, whose only government is the federal government and all the devolved provinces get a say in its every minute detail, while the inverse is wholly untrue. Jolly old Ontario. It'll work like magic.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
With an attitude like this why would you want to stay lol.

I mean seriously it’s not that the west wants the east to do anything! They literally want the east to leave the west alone. The west doesn’t tell the east how to run it’s economy so where does the east get off telling the west what to do?

Western alienation isn’t because of gay rights or abortion, 90%+ of it is because the east is trying to run the west’s economy which the west believes is screwing things up. Go focus on Quebec’s cement plant or try to get yourselves off fossil fuels and diversify your economies away from building engines that burn fossil fuels.

And seriously why would the pollution the west makes affect you? You have Detroit right to your south why don’t you go focus on the closer target.
He lives in Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I grew up in Kelowna, I live in Vancouver.

I've travelled to Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, and lived in St John's newfoundland.

I've never been to the prairies outside of the Calgary area.

But I've been to canada's 4 largest cities and spent enough time in them to know that the east does NOT hate the west, but I saw so much hatred of the east in Calgary when I was there that I was shouted down when I called it out. I wasn't a well liked person there when I called out the bigotry for what it was. But I can only stomach being called a greenie hippy so many times.

Is everyone in alberta like that? no, but the working class white people my mother is friends with sure were.

Nowhere else in canada I have ever been have I experienced anything like that.

I want to believe alberta isn't like this, but my experiences say otherwise, and the rise of this treasonous wexit movement throws a wrench into the that idea making it harder and harder for me to respect and appreciate alberta.

I apolagize if I come off as a jerk here, I'm angry and fed up.

Western alienation? What about BC alienation from the prairies? I'm sick of being thrown into this category. The cons only won 34% of the vote in BC, almost identical to ontario. Libs, greens, and NDP combined won over 60% of the vote, thats the story no one is speaking of. BC has joined the laurentian consensus, we don't hate Canada and western alienation does NOT exist here like it does on the prairies.
Of course race had to come into it...

How are you so sick of it? Are Albertan's coming to your house and yelling at you? Maybe get off the internet or out of your echo chamber for a few.

Not surprising people in Toronto etc dont talk about Calgary or Alberta, because they are not affected by any decisions made there. Unlike the reverse.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:07 PM

In the spirit of east west, west west, north south reconciliation I'd like to give you all a couple of anecdotes.

First, I attended an elementary school in Orleans (suburb of Ottawa) today as the guest of honour for their Remembrance Day ceremony. As I waited my turn to address the students, parents and staff I was struck by the ethnic diversity of the 300+ people in attendance. My message to the kids was that the young men and women who spent their youth defending Canada are expecting you to continue the pretty darn good society they left in our and soon to be, their hands. I implored them not to fall to the voices of hatred and intolerance no matter where it comes from.

Second, I hosted the 30 year reunion of a portion of the guys who were in the same platoon at basic officer training for the CAF. Some of the guys were blue collar kids from the prairies, others were private school rich kids from Ontario. We all forged a unique bond at basic and we then scattered to the winds as our careers in the CAF sent us all over the place. Some of us went to Esquimalt or Halifax, others (the rich kids were all Air Force for some reason) received an in-depth education about the prairies as they proceeded to Portage la Prairie then Moose Jaw and finally to Cold Lake if they got to fighters. All of us commented on how this experience made us better understand the nuances that makes this country somewhat unique.

Finally, after all the parades were over at the National War Memorial in Ottawa, and as we congregated at the Bytown Wardroom I was able to engage a group of Royal Military College cadets. These young people are all under 22 years of age I think some of them are still unaware of the great journey of Canadian discovery they are about to embark on. One told me he had never been outside of Toronto and he just spent the past summer in Wainwright AB. While he didn't love the experience he was so glad that he was able to see a part of the country he never would have even considered going to if he wasn't in the Army.

All this is to say that this regionalism shitting on other regions is not worth all the heat and light that it is producing. We're a pretty damn good country and I think if we all just got out of our silos and actually travelled within Canada we'd see that there is more that binds us than separates us.

Last edited by VANRIDERFAN; Nov 11, 2019 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Of course race had to come into it...

How are you so sick of it? Are Albertan's coming to your house and yelling at you? Maybe get off the internet or out of your echo chamber for a few.

Not surprising people in Toronto etc dont talk about Calgary or Alberta, because they are not affected by any decisions made there. Unlike the reverse.
no, but they are threatening to tear canada apart because they lost an election, that is what I am sick of. and my response is if they want to go that badly, then fine, lets kick them out, see how long alberta lasts without access to BC's ports and Ottawa's money.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
With an attitude like this why would you want to stay lol.

I mean seriously it’s not that the west wants the east to do anything! They literally want the east to leave the west alone. The west doesn’t tell the east how to run it’s economy so where does the east get off telling the west what to do?

Western alienation isn’t because of gay rights or abortion, 90%+ of it is because the east is trying to run the west’s economy which the west believes is screwing things up. Go focus on Quebec’s cement plant or try to get yourselves off fossil fuels and diversify your economies away from building engines that burn fossil fuels.

And seriously why would the pollution the west makes affect you? You have Detroit right to your south why don’t you go focus on the closer target.
Not sure what the east has to do with BC blocking the transmountian pipeline. You can call it dithering, but the fact is that the establishment in the east wants the pipeline built.

Also, you may want to work on your geography. Detroit is nowhere near False Creek.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
You're a fucking moron.
This response is completely uncalled for. I never personally insulted anyone. I get it you're an albertan and you love the province. I also know you are not one of these mouth breathing idiots throwing a fit, I know not everyone in alberta is like this, but a recent poll showed 37% of albertans supported this wexit nonsense. Your province has an issue with far right extremism and you need to get a handle over it. It's not the ROC's fault that your province has a lot of extremists.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:20 PM
BANNED

And let's be clear here. There is no real hatred of Western Canada from those in the east. But there is certainly hatred of eastern Canada from Alberta and Saskatchewan.

Also, just another point about Western Separation. Many include all four western provinces in this. But could someone explain to me how they feel Manitoba and Manitobans would benefit from this? I mean, we are classified as a "have not" province based on economic performances and are basically the forgotten province in the country (this is why I won't give Albertans sympathy because as "badly" as they claim to be treated by Ottawa, they have been treated like royalty compared to us). Should we be stupid enough to join this foolish rebellion, how would it benefit us and make us a stronger province by having law and policy making dictated to us by the kings in Edmonton and/or Calgary? (Because we all know that the capital of this mega faux-pas would be placed in Alberta somewhere) We would still be the whipping boy of the newly formed dominion and treated horribly, probably even worse that we are being treated right now.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
no, but they are threatening to tear canada apart because they lost an election, that is what I am sick of. and my response is if they want to go that badly, then fine, lets kick them out, see how long alberta lasts without access to BC's ports and Ottawa's money.
Its a small vocal minority getting way to much attention by the media. Keep the outrage and clicks flowing, which is obviously working.

Quote:
I know not everyone in alberta is like this, but a recent poll showed 37% of albertans supported this wexit nonsense. Your province has an issue with far right extremism and you need to get a handle over it. It's not the ROC's fault that your province has a lot of extremists.
Yes, because we all know how accurate polls are.. What would you suggest? Round them up, put them in camps? Sounds rather fascist to me if so.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
All this is to say that this regionalism shitting on other regions is not worth all the heat and light that it is producing. We're a pretty damn good country and I think if we all just got out of our silos and actually travelled within Canada we'd see that their is more that binds us than separates us.
Hear, hear.

I'm of the opinion that those who fan the flames of discontent have an agenda that benefits themselves (and their entourage) moreso than the interests of the people they claim to represent.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
All this is to say that this regionalism shitting on other regions is not worth all the heat and light that it is producing. We're a pretty damn good country and I think if we all just got out of our silos and actually travelled within Canada we'd see that their is more that binds us than separates us.
It's hard to truly believe this from someone who has shown such disdain and contempt for Winnipeg and Winnipeggers in comparison to rural Manitoba and Manitobans.

Last edited by Pinus; Nov 11, 2019 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Not sure what the east has to do with BC blocking the transmountian pipeline. You can call it dithering, but the fact is that the establishment in the east wants the pipeline built.

Also, you may want to work on your geography. Detroit is nowhere near False Creek.
The establishment and the majority of Ontario's population (or is that establishment ).

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
Yes, because we all know how accurate polls are.. What would you suggest? Round them up, put them in camps? Sounds rather fascist to me if so.
Your fallacy is a strawman, never once have I even once made that claim nor argued for it. But at the very least alberta should be increasing money for education on this issue.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Your fallacy is a strawman, never once have I even once made that claim nor argued for it. But at the very least alberta should be increasing money for education on this issue.
You cant force people to think a certain way. Thats such a leftist Orwellian view. You can debate with people with different view points and opinions, or just disagree failing that. Its ok to disagree. Also calling wexiters 'extremists' is a stretch.. If they start blowing up car bombs then I'll agree, otherwise nah.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:38 PM

The impression I get is that nothing other than increased pipeline capacity will placate AB/SK, and that's a tough sell to the ROC. I don't really see this issue going away anytime soon.

This is compounded by the fact that many in AB/SK seem to believe that anthropogenic climate change is a hoax designed to destroy Canada's economy, so the logic behind not supporting pipelines is interpreted as a direct "we literally just hate AB/SK and want them to fail", because they assume that everyone else also assumes that GHGs don't actually matter.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLac View Post
And you say AB is a "one horse economy?" Maybe ON should diversify it's economy away from manufacturing. Cuz out here, we're sick and tired of hearing how a car maker is shutting down the 3rd shift of some crappy minivan...a loss of 500 jobs. Whereas here over 100,000 jobs are gone cuz of Mr.Castro Jr.
*citation needed

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
It's hard to truly believe this from someone who has such disdain for Winnipeg and Winnipeggers in comparison to rural Manitobans.
I acknowledge my hypocrisy with regards to National Unity on one hand and my disdain for Winnipeg on the other. Maybe its because I cheer for the Roughriders over the Bombers.

Damn internet, once again I thank my lucky stars there was no social media when I was a teen/young adult!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
He lives in Vancouver.
So does misher, which is even funnier.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I acknowledge my hypocrisy with regards to National Unity on one hand and my disdain for Winnipeg on the other. Maybe its because I cheer for the Roughriders over the Bombers.

Damn internet, once again I thank my lucky stars there was no social media when I was a teen/young adult!
And that is why I take nothing you say seriously since you have essentially wished nothing but ill will for me and my family simply because of where we live

Last edited by Pinus; Nov 11, 2019 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
So does misher, which is even funnier.
Haha well, Richmond, of all places

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada