HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:44 PM

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Have you ever seen the South Park episode where they make fun of elitists from San Francisco? This thread reminds me of that episode...
I think you should start a new thread only for anti-elitists. Think of the you’ll have.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 10:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I think you should start a new thread only for anti-elitists. Think of the you’ll have.
I take it you are not a South Park fan.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Jun 10, 2018 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 1:07 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
Wait, all of this over taking down some 5ft concrete walls?
HILARIOUS isn't it!!!!!! This is the most fun I've had reading this forum in a long time... Probably since the CMHR 'debates' - you remember that big waste of money that totally bankrupted Winnipeg and is currently a Canadian Tire outlet?

I saw a pedestrian today and instinctively tried to run it down! But it was kinda fat and my car is kinda small... I need an F150 I think... then I can join everyone else on the "lets murder pedestrians because they dare cross a street" train!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post
HILARIOUS isn't it!!!!!! This is the most fun I've had reading this forum in a long time... Probably since the CMHR 'debates' - you remember that big waste of money that totally bankrupted Winnipeg and is currently a Canadian Tire outlet?

I saw a pedestrian today and instinctively tried to run it down! But it was kinda fat and my car is kinda small... I need an F150 I think... then I can join everyone else on the "lets murder pedestrians because they dare cross a street" train!
This is actually what people are saying

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 1:34 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WpG_GuY View Post
This is actually what people are saying
HAHAHAHA Jesus Christ that's amazing!!! Thank you so much for showing me that! That ranks right up there with the transit union threatening to run down people at P&M!!!

It also makes me sad because the sarcastic bullshit I say on here are legitimate arguments people are trying to make... I don't know how far I can go before the admins ban me hahaha. BUT LETS TEST IT OUT!!!

I have a solution for the P&M debate - 1 pedestrian and 1 car enter - only one leaves! Thunderdome Winnipeg!!!!!!! We tear down all those worthless buildings and build a thunderdome!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nZLPieIL5I

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 7:50 AM
There is always a way

It'll be like the hunger games only quicker and more brutal and you don't get selected to participate in a lottery. We could make that happen though

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 7:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
At the time (2008-12), there was a legitimate debate about what should be included into the Museum, and the CMHR going against public opinion, and not making the treatment of the First Nations people the focal point of the Museum, but rather the Holocaust. There were also massive cost overruns. There was also the issue of some media outlets hanging up on callers, or not publishing letters to the editor inquiring about if and when the treatment of the Palestinian people would be included in the contents of the Museum. After all, it's a subjective issue.

I'm not sure you are trying to revise history, and make it sound like people who were opposed to giving the Museum unlimited public funding, said it would "bankrupt" Winnipeg, or it would "turn into a Canadian Tire outlet." Do you have a link to these claims?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:10 PM
Source?

Quote:
At the time (2008-12), there was a legitimate debate about what should be included into the Museum, and the CMHR going against public opinion, and not making the treatment of the First Nations people the focal point of the Museum, but rather the Holocaust. There were also massive cost overruns. There was also the issue of some media outlets hanging up on callers, or not publishing letters to the editor inquiring about if and when the treatment of the Palestinian people would be included in the contents of the Museum. After all, it's a subjective issue.

I'm not sure you are trying to revise history, and make it sound like people who were opposed to giving the Museum unlimited public funding, said it would "bankrupt" Winnipeg, or it would "turn into a Canadian Tire outlet." Do you have a link to these claims?
hehe nice troll or do you really have the memory of a goldfish?

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...136178533.html
http://blackrod.blogspot.com/2011/12...even-with.html
http://takimag.com/article/giant_hou...#axzz1iLkBcBeP
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...135941403.html

(april fools - but shows mindset) http://winnipegsun.com/2012/03/31/ca...8-8d20cd4657eb

You can find this on http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...170893&page=21

Perhaps it wasn't specifically Canadian Tire but you see, I don't always remember the specifics of comically poor logic from half a decade ago . But I know people like you demand exact specifics without any deviation so I'm sure this is your "gotcha" moment

Actually - here's a quote from some totally random guy:

Quote:
I wonder who is going to occupy this fine structure, when it is finally completed.

a very quick scan through http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=170893 will show you the same level of mature debate between the existence of the museum and opening P&M. Its SUPER easy to find these claims, mostly scan for names like rrskylar, wayward_prince, or some guy named Jets4Life - they all had prophetic visions of what the museum would be!

EDIT - Had some extra time on my hands this evening since its too bloody hot out to do anything fun. Found some fun quotes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
no worries, it can always be turned into a Salisbury House if the human rights thing doesn't work out.
Quote:
The vast majority of Winnipeggers would prefer a Rock and Roll Museum to a Human Rights Museum, especially the way things have went down over the past 7 years. The CMHR may as well say they are in way over their heads, and let the Government of Canada take over.

There would be nothing wrong with a Holocaust museum, if it was 100% privately funded by the Aspers. However, there is no point of leaving taxpayers on the hook for what essentially is a watered-down Holocaust museum. The building itself, is impressive, but I think most people can safely admit that the Human Rights museum is doomed to fail.

The history of music is just as important as the history of genocide. Especially if the history the museum is going to present, is inaccurate or slanted at best.
I can bet on two things in my lifetime:

1) No man is immoral, and I will eventually meet my maker.

2) The atrocities and human rights violations by the state of Israel, towards the Palestinain population will be left out of the CMHR. The credibility of the musuem will take a big hit for this, and many will begin to question why public funds are used to prop up what essentially is a propaganda museum for the State of Israel.

The few people who support the CMHR, are a dying breed, and it is time to admit that the museum itself, is going to be a complete failure. However, that does not mean Winnipeg can make good use, out of the building itself, with minor renovations.
This Jets4Life fella was really for using the building for something other than its intended purpose! I wonder if hes still around? I think you 2 would get along!

Its too bad so many of the blogs rrskylar linked have vanished for some reason - there was some real gold in there!

Last edited by Wigglez; Jun 10, 2018 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 12:01 AM
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
It'll be like the hunger games only quicker and more brutal and you don't get selected to participate in a lottery. We could make that happen though
This is RARE footage of downtown Winnipeg before they closed off Portage and Main - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOaBNkVDjeg

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:48 AM
BANNED

Saw this on FB and it’s on point! (Too many are afraid to admit it)

I am sick and tired of these dreamers and their obsession with downtown rejuvenation. They float their idealistic pie-in-the-sky pipe dreams for their vision of a utopian downtown without considering the realities of the downtown area. For starters, this is 2018, not 1979. Traffic patterns then aren't traffic patterns now and it serves no purpose to whine about the good ol' days.

And so what if the (perceived) heart of the city has cars zooming through it. So what. The downtown dreamers refuse to acknowledge that some people have to rely on their vehicles for transportation for many reasons, not the least of which is crappy bus service. Besides, who wants to catch a bus downtown late at night, especially in the middle of winter. It's bad enough during the day. They may decry the perceived waste of space that is the downtown parking lot, but it is a necessity whether they like it or not.

Thirdly, the notion of a downtown where people "want to be and linger" is a really getting old. People don't want to "be and linger" in a place where they are hassled and yelled at by drunks and panhandlers both indoors and out, where they are dodging bicycles on sidewalks and where you walk anywhere in or near Portage Place - or all of downtown for that matter - with one eye on everything and everyone around you. Clean up those nasty aspects first and then you will have a base to build on.

Get a clue and get real. The downtown is what it is and serves that purpose. Far too many resources have been wasted in this decades-long transformation effort which hasn't changed much at all for the better.« less

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 5:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
hehe nice troll or do you really have the memory of a goldfish?

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...136178533.html
http://blackrod.blogspot.com/2011/12...even-with.html
http://takimag.com/article/giant_hou...#axzz1iLkBcBeP
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/br...135941403.html

(april fools - but shows mindset) http://winnipegsun.com/2012/03/31/ca...8-8d20cd4657eb

You can find this on http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...170893&page=21

Perhaps it wasn't specifically Canadian Tire but you see, I don't always remember the specifics of comically poor logic from half a decade ago . But I know people like you demand exact specifics without any deviation so I'm sure this is your "gotcha" moment

Actually - here's a quote from some totally random guy:

a very quick scan through http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=170893 will show you the same level of mature debate between the existence of the museum and opening P&M. Its SUPER easy to find these claims, mostly scan for names like rrskylar, wayward_prince, or some guy named Jets4Life - they all had prophetic visions of what the museum would be!

EDIT - Had some extra time on my hands this evening since its too bloody hot out to do anything fun. Found some fun quotes

This Jets4Life fella was really for using the building for something other than its intended purpose! I wonder if hes still around? I think you 2 would get along!

Its too bad so many of the blogs rrskylar linked have vanished for some reason - there was some real gold in there!
Ok, you are good at deflecting away from the main issues that opponents of the CMHR had. And it looks like you spent considerable time doing so. Well done.

Getting back on topic, what is the actual status in regards to the City of Winnipeg opening Portage and Main? 2016 has come and gone, with the intersection still closed off to pedestrians.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 7:44 AM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post

I am sick and tired of these dreamers and their obsession with downtown rejuvenation. They float their idealistic pie-in-the-sky pipe dreams for their vision of a utopian downtown without considering the realities of the downtown area. For starters, this is 2018, not 1979. Traffic patterns then aren't traffic patterns now and it serves no purpose to whine about the good ol' days.

And so what if the (perceived) heart of the city has cars zooming through it. So what. The downtown dreamers refuse to acknowledge that some people have to rely on their vehicles for transportation for many reasons, not the least of which is crappy bus service. Besides, who wants to catch a bus downtown late at night, especially in the middle of winter. It's bad enough during the day. They may decry the perceived waste of space that is the downtown parking lot, but it is a necessity whether they like it or not.

Thirdly, the notion of a downtown where people "want to be and linger" is a really getting old. People don't want to "be and linger" in a place where they are hassled and yelled at by drunks and panhandlers both indoors and out, where they are dodging bicycles on sidewalks and where you walk anywhere in or near Portage Place - or all of downtown for that matter - with one eye on everything and everyone around you. Clean up those nasty aspects first and then you will have a base to build on.

Get a clue and get real. The downtown is what it is and serves that purpose. Far too many resources have been wasted in this decades-long transformation effort which hasn't changed much at all for the better.« less
So you're against having a better downtown...?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 1:41 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Thirdly, the notion of a downtown where people "want to be and linger" is a really getting old.
Pretty sure the demographic that wants to drive to/from/through downtown is what's getting old.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
So you're against having a better downtown...?
Wow, some of you actually believe there is a correlation between opening P&M and having a better downtown, this is laughable!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:22 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Wow, some of you actually believe there is a correlation between opening P&M and having a better downtown, this is laughable!
Can't decide if trolling or serious...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:23 PM

Quote:

I can't tell if this is a serious post or some sort of satirical "cranky Winnipeg grandpa" character. Like what even is your argument? Make downtown a parking lot/freeway but also make it nicer. Those two are at odds my friend.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, you are good at deflecting away from the main issues that opponents of the CMHR had. And it looks like you spent considerable time doing so. Well done.

Getting back on topic, what is the actual status in regards to the City of Winnipeg opening Portage and Main? 2016 has come and gone, with the intersection still closed off to pedestrians.
He just gave you all the proof, including your own biases, and you're saying he is deflecting? I think you're being elitist.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
I can't tell if this is a serious post or some sort of satirical "cranky Winnipeg grandpa" character. Like what even is your argument? Make downtown a parking lot/freeway but also make it nicer. Those two are at odds my friend.
He is a longtime troll from a way back. He hates everything. Closely associated with Riverman.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 2:59 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
He is a longtime troll from a way back. He hates everything. Closely associated with Riverman.
We have never met.

Besides, I am far more closely associated with you, seeing that you post my name far more than anyone else.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan