HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Lilly Singh's GTA accent often comes out in this monologue. Never watched her youtube channel and all I watched was half this clip. It wasn't very good. It was the first episode of her talk show. But, as is often the case with TV, it should get better as time goes on and they work out the kinks.

Video Link
Lilly tones down her vowel raising like every other Canadian in the entertainment industry. She said ''aboat'' in the early days of her youtube channel but no more. There is no GTA accent, there is slang.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:04 PM

No GTA accent? Just after 2:40 into the video you hear her say "about" in the most GTA way ever. Ya she's not consistently using the accent but it does come out.

And I admit, I often include slang in with accent to consolidate someone's speech pattern. It's just easier to say GTA accent instead of GTA speech patterns.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 8:53 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ She also has that weird urban thing where "two" sounds a bit like "toe".

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 1:20 AM

I've heard that she has a huge following among people of many Asian heritages in North America. Many of her jokes about her family and lifestyle are relatable to those people.
I think that she's funny but definitely see how her humour may not be for the average white male which almost all other talk shows have as their target.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ She also has that weird urban thing where "two" sounds a bit like "toe".
I didn't hear that, but her "to" as "tuh" is pretty Ontario standard.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 2:57 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Memorial University announced its new President and Vice-Chancellor this week. I watched. The missus who introduces her is the chair of the Board of Regents. I thought her accent was a bit of a speech impediment, I've literally never encountered it before (and I know a solid 50% of the various accents on this island, and can place them). I mentioned it to a coworker and she laughed and said, "Oh that's where I'm from, Port de Grave. It's half New Yorker, half hick. I just talks proper at work."

Video Link

And she showed me a Facebook video of another person, same surname, from that town, and damn... I can't find it now but it was even stronger. Like she says "Vice-Chancellah" and the "ah" is small and it's ending. The other guy was like "Vice-Chancellaaaaaaaahhhhhhh" and "ah" was the longest part of his speaking lol

(One note since it likely won't be obvious: everyone laughs when she jokes she's coming March 31, not April 1, because that's how we joined Canada - it was supposed to be April 1 but they made it just a second before midnight on March 31 so people didn't think it was a joke)

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Dec 14, 2019 at 3:17 AM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 3:13 AM

Wow. That New York accent really does come out. That's one of the most bizarre accents I've ever heard in this country.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 3:56 PM

Random question: Do you say "gill-o-tine" or "ghee-o-tine"? Does it vary by region? Personally, I've always said "ghee". Apparently, it's "gill" in the UK and a mix in the USA.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Random question: Do you say "gill-o-tine" or "ghee-o-tine"? Does it vary by region? Personally, I've always said "ghee". Apparently, it's "gill" in the UK and a mix in the USA.
I say the former.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 2:58 PM

Doug Ford is making speeches every week in Ontario on the Corona-virus. Oh boy, I used to be one of those Canadians who would claim ''We don't have an accent''. I was so terribly wrong. Every time he gets up on the podium it's like ''WHO LET THE HOSER OOOOAT''.

Our accent. It's just.. just.. just.... I can understand why many Canadians deny it. Sometimes denial is a cure to a bad reality. We sound terrible.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
Doug Ford is making speeches every week in Ontario on the Corona-virus. Oh boy, I used to be one of those Canadians who would claim ''We don't have an accent''. I was so terribly wrong. Every time he gets up on the podium it's like ''WHO LET THE HOSER OOOOAT''.

Our accent. It's just.. just.. just.... I can understand why many Canadians deny it. Sometimes denial is a cure to a bad reality. We sound terrible.
I agree that Ford's accent tends to "hoser". I don't find, however, that he speaks with a standard Ontario accent. It seems very specific to his suburban upbringing and lack of education.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:08 PM
Closed account

Quote:
I agree that Ford's accent tends to "hoser". I don't find, however, that he speaks with a standard Ontario accent. It seems very specific to his suburban upbringing and lack of education.
Doug always sounds very 'blue-collar' Canadian to me.

Someone like Justin Trudeau speaks with a 'white-collar' Canadian accent.

It's like the difference between Cockney and BBC English (Received Pronunciation). They're both English accents, but they sound very different.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Doug always sounds very 'blue-collar' Canadian to me.

Someone like Justin Trudeau speaks with a 'white-collar' Canadian accent.

It's like the difference between Cockney and BBC English (Received Pronunciation). They're both English accents, but they sound very different.
The PM's English is strongly influenced by the time he's spent in Montreal. If you want the Ontario version of RP, listen to CTV's Lisa Laflamme (Kitchener).

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Explain why so many of us have these horrible vowels then?

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
Explain why so many of us have these horrible vowels then?
"Menagur to checkout sex" ....

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
The PM's English is strongly influenced by the time he's spent in Montreal. If you want the Ontario version of RP, listen to CTV's Lisa Laflamme (Kitchener).
I never thought of her as having an accent so much as she just really clearly enunciates her words, probably more than most TV news anchors do.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
I know what you're speaking of but it is hard to pin down. Doug is the same age as me and is proud it seems of his lack of formal post high school education. Rob Ford had more of a hoser accent.

I moved around a lot before i was 14 between the UK (birthplace), Canada and the USA, and it is only really when I'm around a lot of brits (other than parents) that I'm aware of my accent. I must admit I do revert to british equivalent words at times with other brits (football/footie versus soccer (pronounced saaawwccer it seems, series instead of season for a recurring tv programme, autumn instead of fall). I do, however, draw the line at avoiding saying boot instead of trunk or referring to a sedan as an estate car.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I never thought of her as having an accent so much as she just really clearly enunciates her words, probably more than most TV news anchors do.
Everyone has an accent. I gave her as an example of what I would describe as "Ontario RP".

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Everyone has an accent. I gave her as an example of what I would describe as "Ontario RP".
I consider her to be someone with a normal person-from-Ontario accent but who happens to takes care to enunciate carefully. Which is something people who host news shows often do.

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I know what you're speaking of but it is hard to pin down. Doug is the same age as me and is proud it seems of his lack of formal post high school education. Rob Ford had more of a hoser accent.

I moved around a lot before i was 14 between the UK (birthplace), Canada and the USA, and it is only really when I'm around a lot of brits (other than parents) that I'm aware of my accent. I must admit I do revert to british equivalent words at times with other brits (football/footie versus soccer (pronounced saaawwccer it seems, series instead of season for a recurring tv programme, autumn instead of fall). I do, however, draw the line at avoiding saying boot instead of trunk or referring to a sedan as an estate car.
I disagree about Rob. His accent was not as a strong as Doug's. He had a softer voice and his vowels weren't as rough.

The only other person I've heard in Canadian politics with such a broad Hoser accent was former Vancouver mayor ''Sam Sullivan''. Which is strange, because Sam was quite educated and from Vancouver (which supposedly has the least strong accent in the country). I would say his accent may have even been stronger than either of the Ford brothers especially when his documentary ''Citizen Sam'' cam out. He had those super vowels where it can go all the way up to nearly ''aboot''. So a ''hoser accent'' has the possibility of defying class and education expectations.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada