HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Inflationary fare increase in effect January 1, 2020

New Transit fares will be in effect on January 1, 2020. The increase is inflationary.
Full cash fares will be $3.00, Senior and Youth cash fares will be $2.50. New rates for tickets and passes will also be in effect January 1, 2020.
2019 bus tickets *plus applicable cash difference will be accepted until March 31, 2020.
Additional fare information can be found here: 2020 Transit fares

https://winnipegtransit.com/en/rider-guide/news/

Since when did Council pass a fare increase for 2020?
I believe Transit can raise fares now, without council approval.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
I believe Transit can raise fares now, without council approval.
You guys realize that $3.00 is now on par with Vancouver (exact!), Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Calgary right? These cities all have some form of rail or rapid transit as well.

Pinterest - I use this social media platform to easily add pictures into my posts on this forum. Plus there are great architecture and city photos out there as well.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryer View Post
You guys realize that $3.00 is now on par with Vancouver (exact!), Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, and Calgary right? These cities all have some form of rail or rapid transit as well.
Not only do all those cities have rail transit, they are all expanding their current systems. Other cities like Hamilton, Quebec city, victoria all have plans for some sort of rail systems soon. I think Winnipeg is the only city that has no rail transit plans.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 7:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
And here in Winnipeg we’re playing social engineering with fares based supposedly on income and alleged ability to pay and some other lame brained scheme that serves no one in the end!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 9:46 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Not only do all those cities have rail transit, they are all expanding their current systems. Other cities like Hamilton, Quebec city, victoria all have plans for some sort of rail systems soon. I think Winnipeg is the only city that has no rail transit plans.

New York state voted a couple of months ago to dump (invest) a record US$51 Billion (C$68 Billion) over a 5-year period into maintenance and upgrades of the bus, subway and commuter services (bus, LIRR), including a 1.5 mi. extension of the Second Avenue Subway, a TMP process to redo the NYC Bus network in all 5 boroughs, etc... Part of the funds come from Bond issues. That's something that I'd like to see here, borrowing more $ to pay for big projects that'll pay huge dividends in the future.

Lots of '5' numbers in there. Once again the Masons come thru.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...kqi-story.html

Video Link

Last edited by LilZebra; Dec 15, 2019 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2019, 10:34 PM

Does anyone know if the downtown spirit will be cut in 2020? I may be relying on it again for the winter during the week and use it quite frequently on weekends. Heard it was but not sure if its still happening soon or not.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 1:33 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Does anyone know if the downtown spirit will be cut in 2020? I may be relying on it again for the winter during the week and use it quite frequently on weekends. Heard it was but not sure if its still happening soon or not.
Unless it's part of some other transit study, the Downtown Spirit would disappear under the Transit Master Plan, but... to replace what could be lost would be:

1. Full Diesel Bus Rapid Transit ("rt"), cause you know, buses are "cheaper" to the University (yay! not) with a "spur" going to the community of St. Norbert. It may be a few more decades after I die after Winnipeg invests in rail-transit.
  2. Proper routing "spine and feeder" of suburban feeder buses, means removal of those routes like the 162/170, 180, 181, etc...that should be limited to the suburbs and not clog up our downtown or cause undue wear and tear on our already poor condition road
  3. the Transit Master Plan - a better organized transit route network (like almost every other transit system on the planet that is going through this process), including the straightening of curvy routes, more frequent, more reliable (on time performance). Unless there is major opposition to the changes (NIMBYs) then I'm predicting WT to roll out the new route network by Fall of 2020, based on my observation of other systems in the West.
  4. a low-income transit pass for those who cannot afford one, to be reviewed in 2021 and tweaks made if necessary.
  5. kids under 12 get to ride for free
  6. more "long buses", those 60 ft. things
  7. Because of the "low income" transit pass and the "kids under 12" ride free, expect more crowded buses come Spring 2020.
So, does anyone know when WT is going to request more $ for more 60 ft. buses? We need some on the 11, as it's always SRO most of the day.

Last edited by LilZebra; Dec 16, 2019 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:51 AM
Back from the dead

We seem to be moving towards a system where only a specific group of people actually pays anything. Maybe we could try just designating a single individual to pay all transit fares. Like, "Everybody rides free. Except Jason Sworovsky. His fare is $245,881,932.59."

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:20 PM

YEAH! Jason's a dick.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Is there still a need for this bus? IIRC it was set up back in the 70s as a "downtown circulator" type system to move people around to shopping areas, but as we all know, downtown shopping no longer exists in any meaningful way.

The last time I took the Downtown Spirit bus it ended up being slower than walking and most of the people on the bus seemed like they were just hanging out as opposed to going somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
We seem to be moving towards a system where only a specific group of people actually pays anything. Maybe we could try just designating a single individual to pay all transit fares. Like, "Everybody rides free. Except Jason Sworovsky. His fare is $245,881,932.59."
LOL

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Believe it was part of the proposed cuts for 2020, but those were shut down.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 4:06 PM

Citizens need to shift the focus from what mode (rail v bus) transit service offers and instead focus on the attributes that service has, ie priority travel on routes (ie not stopping for cross traffic) and frequency of service come to mind.

As I have said many times, there is nothing that light rail transit could bring to the table that a proper configuration of the current bus network cannot also do.

When you focus on the mode used your legit ideas/concerns are quickly dismissed. Instead focusing on the attributes would help push local transit to address those concerns.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 5:08 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Citizens need to shift the focus from what mode (rail v bus) transit service offers and instead focus on the attributes that service has, ie priority travel on routes (ie not stopping for cross traffic) and frequency of service come to mind.

As I have said many times, there is nothing that light rail transit could bring to the table that a proper configuration of the current bus network cannot also do.

When you focus on the mode used your legit ideas/concerns are quickly dismissed. Instead focusing on the attributes would help push local transit to address those concerns.
You're not wrong except that a big part of the problem is the perceived issues with mode. Bus just doesn't have the same clout as rail in terms of public image/brand.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 5:55 PM

As the population grows do we really want to keep adding more and more buses on the road, creating more and more traffic? Spend more on hiring more and more bus drivers? Increase imessions?

People don't stop driving to take the bus. However I have read that LRT does attract more commuters. Coolness/brand factor or not, it works. LRTs are faster, can carry more people, are more comfortable, more environmentally freindly etc etc. LRTS have been shown to improve the viatality of areas they are built through and increase property values.

Why wait until it will be even more expensive and harder to build? Why should winnipeg settle for less?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 6:04 PM

That's why we need a good RT plan. With dedicated roadways or at bare minimum dedicated lanes that are not diamond lanes. That take the long distance commuting type routes of the public roads.

The Cities recent studies on transit have been a good first step. Need more details on how it will be implemented.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2019, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Is there still a need for this bus? IIRC it was set up back in the 70s as a "downtown circulator" type system to move people around to shopping areas, but as we all know, downtown shopping no longer exists in any meaningful way.

The last time I took the Downtown Spirit bus it ended up being slower than walking and most of the people on the bus seemed like they were just hanging out as opposed to going somewhere.
It provides a very convenient connection straight into the Forks. Living downtown I use the Portage-Exchange-Forks portion frequently. It's fast and decently well used.

The Spirit also provides the only meaningful midday transit service along Broadway.

If the Spirit routes were axed, they would need to, at a bare minimum, extend the 38 into the Forks at all times. Right now the 38 only goes to the Forks when the Spirit is not running (i.e. rush hour and evenings).

The route cuts that were floated last month were not really a "proposal", though. It was just a worst-case scenario, part of the budgeting process every year. The only difference was that it was made public this year.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^ Yeah. The Ford government is obviously regressive but Hamilton is a long way down the path and will choose LRT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
It remains to be seen if the Ford Tories will fund an LRT through a hardcore NDP area like most of Hamilton below the "Mountain". Look at northwestern Ontario. Under the previous government, the push was to twin the highway between Thunder Bay and Nipigon. Now that the government has changed the push has moved from a Liberal area to provincially Conservative Kenora.
Sorry to be off-topic, but there is an update on this issue. Hate to say it trueviking, but "told you so" - Hamilton LRT cancelled:

https://www.chch.com/hamiltons-lrt-c...ve-times-more/

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
So, does anyone know when WT is going to request more $ for more 60 ft. buses? We need some on the 11, as it's always SRO most of the day.
Once you branch off Henderson Hwy or Portage Ave the streets and bus loops the 11's run down can't fit the 60ft buses.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 2:01 AM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Once you branch off Henderson Hwy or Portage Ave the streets and bus loops the 11's run down can't fit the 60ft buses.
Unicity and Grace Hospital can handle the Western end (so could Assiniboia Downs if Winnipeg Transit actually bothered to extend service to it), but otherwise, do agree, tough fits for 60 footers outside of Portage Ave & Henderson.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2019, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Sorry to be off-topic, but there is an update on this issue. Hate to say it trueviking, but "told you so" - Hamilton LRT cancelled:

https://www.chch.com/hamiltons-lrt-c...ve-times-more/
That's pathetic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan